Diffusion of charge carriers

In summary, the densities after Debye time will decrease exponentially in space due to diffusion. To find the long-time dependence, we can use the diffusion equation and solve for the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions. The long-time dependence will depend on the values of these eigenvalues.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member

Homework Statement

You dope an $n$-type substrate at time ##t=0## with electrons and holes around the points: ##\vec{r}_{0,c}## and ##\vec{r}_{0,v}## respectively.

The initial densities' distributions are:

$$\Delta n (\vec{r},t=0) = \frac{\Delta N_0}{(2\pi a_{0,c}^2)^{3/2}}e^{\frac{-(\vec{r}-\vec{r}_{0,c})^2}{2a_{0,c}^2}}$$

where for ##\Delta p(\vec{r},t=0)## is the same as ##\Delta n## just interchange ##a_{0,c} \to a_{0,v}## and ##\vec{r}_{0,c}\to \vec{r}_{0,v}##.

The questions are:
1. How will the densities look like after Debye time?
2. Find the dependence of the densities on long times, where the long time is compared to Debye time?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For question 1., what I thought is that the densities after Debye time will look like:
$$\Delta n(\vec{r},t)=\Delta n(\vec{r},0) e^{-|\vec{r}|/\sqrt{D_c\tau_D}}$$

The same with ##\Delta n(\vec{r},t)## just replace $n$ with $p$ and the diffusion constant ##D_c## with ##D_v##.

If this answer is correct, I am still not sure how to answer question 2.

BTW, ##\tau_D## is Debye time, or the relaxation time.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this problem. I am a scientist and I would like to contribute to this discussion.

For question 1, I agree with your answer. After Debye time, the densities will decrease exponentially in space due to diffusion. This is due to the fact that the initial distributions are Gaussian, which is characteristic of diffusion processes.

For question 2, we can use the diffusion equation to find the long-time dependence of the densities. The diffusion equation is given by:

$$\frac{\partial \Delta n}{\partial t} = D_c \nabla^2 \Delta n$$

where ##D_c## is the diffusion constant for electrons. We can solve this equation for ##\Delta n(\vec{r},t)## by using the method of separation of variables. The solution will be of the form:

$$\Delta n(\vec{r},t) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} A_n e^{-D_c \lambda_n t} \phi_n(\vec{r})$$

where ##\lambda_n## and ##\phi_n## are the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions of the diffusion equation, respectively. The long-time dependence of the densities will depend on the values of ##\lambda_n##. For example, if ##\lambda_0=0##, then the long-time dependence will be constant. If ##\lambda_0<0##, then the long-time dependence will be exponential decay.

To find the values of ##\lambda_n## and ##\phi_n##, we can use boundary and initial conditions. In this case, the boundary condition is that the densities must go to zero at infinity. The initial condition is given by the initial distribution. This will lead to a set of equations that can be solved numerically to find the values of ##\lambda_n## and ##\phi_n##. Once we have these values, we can plug them into the solution to find the long-time dependence of the densities.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is diffusion of charge carriers?

Diffusion of charge carriers refers to the movement of electrically charged particles, such as electrons or ions, from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration due to random thermal motion.

2. What causes diffusion of charge carriers?

Diffusion of charge carriers is caused by the difference in concentration of charged particles between two regions. This concentration gradient creates a net movement of particles from the higher concentration region to the lower concentration region.

3. How does temperature affect diffusion of charge carriers?

Temperature plays a significant role in diffusion of charge carriers as it affects the speed of random thermal motion. Higher temperatures result in increased thermal energy, causing particles to move more quickly and thus increasing the rate of diffusion.

4. What materials exhibit diffusion of charge carriers?

Diffusion of charge carriers can occur in any material that contains electrically charged particles, such as metals, semiconductors, and even gases. However, the rate of diffusion may vary depending on the type of material and its properties.

5. What are the practical applications of diffusion of charge carriers?

Diffusion of charge carriers has numerous practical applications, such as in electronic devices like transistors and diodes, where it is used to control the flow of electric current. It also plays a crucial role in processes like electrolysis and battery charging.