Energy absorbed by the inductor in 4 seconds

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the total energy across an inductor and resistance in a circuit. The formula for energy stored in an inductor is mentioned, but it is noted that the resistance of the inductor must also be taken into account. The total energy across the inductor and resistance is found by integrating the power equations with respect to time. The final answer is option A.
jaus tail

Homework Statement

upload_2017-12-18_19-35-29.png

Homework Equations

V = L di/dt
Energy = V*I*t

The Attempt at a Solution

First we find out V across L
This V will be there only for 1st 2 seconds as after that there is no change in current.
So V(across L) is L * di/dt = 2 * 6/2 = 6V equation 1
Now Current is a function of time so it's i = 3t equation 2
So to get Energy we use integration.
Energy = integration of V*I*dt where limits are 0 to 2
So now using equation 1 and 2 we get
Energy = integration of 6 * 3t dt from limits 0 to 2
so this is 18 t2/2 t varies from 0 to 2
So this is 9 (4) = 36 which is not in the options.
Where am I wrong.
I even tried other formula of Energy = 1/2 * L * I2 But this gives 24
I'm getting different answer for different formula but neither answer matches options. Where am I wrong?

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-18_19-35-29.png
    upload_2017-12-18_19-35-29.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 7,370
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see where you've taken into account the resistance of the inductor. Sure, the inductor won't be storing the energy lost to heat via the resistance, but it's energy absorbed (and then dissipated) by the inductor nonetheless.

I note that you didn't include the general formula for energy stored in an inductor in your relevant equations. It might prove handy in this instance :wink:

Likes jaus tail
The question is a little ambiguous - but I do think they are looking for total energy, Inductance (stored) and Resistance ( dissipated)

Likes jaus tail
Book says answer is C
But I don't know how they got that. Power in inductor is 1/2 * L * i2
Why do I have to include resistance? The current is given. So current through inductor is known.

W = 1/2 L*i*i
Energy is integrating W*dt as t varies from 0 to time asked in question.

jaus tail said:
Why do I have to include resistance?
The inductor, as a real component, has both inductance and resistance due to the resistivity of the coil of wire that it is made from. That wire resistance will dissipate energy in addition to the energy that the inductance will store in its magnetic field.

Oh okay. So I'll have to integrate i2R with respect to dt as t varies from 0 to 4 as well. Got it. Thanks.
That gives Energy across L as 36
Energy across R for transient time is 24
Energy across R in steady state is 72
Adding all I get answer as a)
Thanks.

Likes Guru4402 and gneill
Also -- in this question the current is "set", formally defined -- normally (in a real case) both the inductor and the resistance would be impacting the total current and you would be seeing the impact of both elements more clearly..

Likes jaus tail

1. What is an inductor?

An inductor is an electrical component that stores energy in the form of a magnetic field. It is made up of a coil of wire and is commonly used in electronic circuits.

2. How does an inductor absorb energy?

An inductor absorbs energy by converting electrical energy into magnetic energy. When current flows through the coil, a magnetic field is created which stores the energy until it is needed.

3. What is the unit of measurement for energy absorbed by an inductor?

The unit of measurement for energy absorbed by an inductor is joules (J). This is the same unit used to measure other forms of energy, such as electrical and mechanical energy.

4. How is energy absorbed by an inductor related to time?

The amount of energy absorbed by an inductor is directly proportional to the length of time the current flows through it. In other words, the longer the current flows, the more energy is absorbed by the inductor.

5. Can an inductor absorb energy indefinitely?

No, an inductor cannot absorb energy indefinitely. As the magnetic field builds up, the inductor will reach a saturation point where it can no longer store any more energy. This can cause the inductor to overheat and potentially fail.