Exploring the Wonders of Science: The Big Bang Theory

In summary, the conversation discusses various topics related to the universe, including the concept of dark energy, the expansion of the universe, and the beginning of the universe through the Big Bang. The idea of dark energy causing the universe to eventually break is compared to the process of mitosis. The conversation also touches on the relationship between atomic-level movements and the movement of the universe, and the expansion of the universe is discussed in terms of a radius or a starting point on the X axis. The conversation also mentions the rules of the forum and the importance of sticking to known science, and concludes with a discussion on the Big Bang and the concept of a scalar field.
Jpjangz
I apologize upfront due to my weak knowledge on the magnificent science. What i am studying now compared to the cutting edge of science is like a huge giant compared to a small little ant.

Recently watched the great video of "through the wormhole", realized that dark energy is expanding the universe and at some point of time, it may break this universe. But don't you think it is analogous to the process of mitosis? If we were to situate this mitosis process into what will cause the universe, then wouldn't it be clearer?

This may sound a little crazy, but there are many things that happen in atomic level is actually the same as movement of the universe; orbiting around the sun, black holes, and many more.

However, coming to this, so is the big bang started from the middle of the typical universe oval shaped map or does it start from a point which is similar to a runner at his starting point and there goes the starting gun BANG. In other words, does it expand in a radius form or in a horizontally positive form across X axis if we were to plot it on a graph.

I apologize upfront due to my weak knowledge on the magnificent science. What i am studying now compared to the cutting edge of science is like a huge giant compared to a small little ant.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF Jpjangz. It may be of benefit to you to read the rules (there's a button on the centre panel at the top of the page) as overly speculative posts are not allowed.

Jpjangz said:

Recently watched the great video of "through the wormhole", realized that dark energy is expanding the universe and at some point of time, it may break this universe. But don't you think it is analogous to the process of mitosis? If we were to situate this mitosis process into what will cause the universe, then wouldn't it be clearer?

The http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Rip" which is a stage the division of a somatic cell whereby the DNA is copied in seperated.
Jpjangz said:
This may sound a little crazy, but there are many things that happen in atomic level is actually the same as movement of the universe; orbiting around the sun, black holes, and many more.

Atoms are very different to the orbits of planets. For one thing nothing actually orbits in an atom, that's a conceptual way of looking at a very complex phenomenon.
Jpjangz said:
However, coming to this, so is the big bang started from the middle of the typical universe oval shaped map or does it start from a point which is similar to a runner at his starting point and there goes the starting gun BANG. In other words, does it expand in a radius form or in a horizontally positive form across X axis if we were to plot it on a graph.

The big bang was not the universe expanding into something but the universe expanding.

Last edited by a moderator:
oh...sorry did not realize that...i thought was a question forum thing.

But in the atomic level, didn't the electrons orbit around the center nucleus which is analogous to the solar system? Or it is somewhat more complicated in the sense that this is just a particular area of study mainly to simplify things up.

And lastly, yeah i know that the universe is expanding, but it is expanding in a radius form or by form of starting point which travel across the X axis?

Sorry if i ask so MUCH! just got so curious and fascinated and a little annoyed that my current knowledge is so tiny little compared to yours and other great scientists

Jpjangz said:
oh...sorry did not realize that...i thought was a question forum thing.

You're more than welcome to ask questions :smile: it's just that you should be careful not to be seen to providing your own speculative answers. It's a rule because otherwise we get people that come on and try to say that they've disproved gravity or some other crackpot idea. It's easier to ask people to stick to the known science.
Jpjangz said:
But in the atomic level, didn't the electrons orbit around the center nucleus which is analogous to the solar system? Or it is somewhat more complicated in the sense that this is just a particular area of study mainly to simplify things up.

As I understand it electrons don't really orbit, that's just a simplified way of explaining the topic. In fact electrons are not even "objects", more like points.
Jpjangz said:
And lastly, yeah i know that the universe is expanding, but it is expanding in a radius form or by form of starting point which travel across the X axis?

The universe isn't expanding in that sense so there isn't a centre. In the cosmology forum there's some brilliant FAQs https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=206 . There's also a thread dedicated to explaining some of the concepts behind the universe and expansion https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=261161.
Jpjangz said:
Sorry if i ask so MUCH! just got so curious and fascinated and a little annoyed that my current knowledge is so tiny little compared to yours and other great scientists

No worries, everyone starts somewhere! It's the curiosity and the enthusiasm that counts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really thank you sincerely =)

Jpjangz said:
Really thank you sincerely =)

Honestly no trouble.

DARK ENERGY? BFD.

If the Big Bang was any sort of explosion it would simply propogate like any other explosion. Outward until the pressure within became less then the pressure into which it was exploded. Since the Big Bang exploded into nothing, then there is nothing against which it is competing.

Happily there is something known as a "scalar field" that is handy in a couple of ways. A scalar field is like a compressed spring which expands energetically until the spring is fully extended. Then it stops. This is entirely in compliance with "the inflation" theory of the early universe. That is, it expanded faster then the speed of light until one or another of the four primary forces of nature separated itself, and the speed of light became fixed.

So the question I have is this: Why did science, for almost my entire adult life, assume the Big Bang explosion was non linear? If the universe expanded into nothing it should simply continue to expand at inverse square proportion to its internal pressure.

Now we hear the universe is not expanding at an inverse proportion to the square of its internal pressure, but is expanding faster and faster. I Give Up.

1. What is the Big Bang Theory?

The Big Bang Theory is a scientific explanation for the origin of the universe. It proposes that the universe began as a single, extremely dense and hot point, and has been expanding and cooling over the course of billions of years.

2. How was the Big Bang Theory discovered?

The Big Bang Theory was first proposed by Belgian astronomer Georges Lemaitre in the 1920s. It gained more support in the 1960s with the discovery of cosmic microwave background radiation, which provided evidence for the expansion of the universe.

3. What evidence supports the Big Bang Theory?

Aside from the discovery of cosmic microwave background radiation, other evidence for the Big Bang Theory includes the observed expansion of the universe, the abundance of light elements in the universe, and the large-scale structure of the universe.

4. How does the Big Bang Theory explain the origin of galaxies and stars?

The Big Bang Theory states that as the universe expanded and cooled, matter and energy began to clump together to form galaxies. Within these galaxies, stars formed from the dense pockets of matter. The theory also explains the formation of heavier elements through nuclear fusion in stars.

5. Are there any alternative theories to the Big Bang?

Yes, there are several alternative theories to the Big Bang, such as the Steady State Theory and the Oscillating Universe Theory. However, the Big Bang Theory is currently the most widely accepted and supported explanation for the origin of the universe.