Finding closest point from a parabola to a plane

In summary, The problem involves finding the point on a parabola closest to a given plane using Lagrange multipliers or the geometric property that the shortest distance to a plane is along a line perpendicular to the plane.
mahler1
Homework Statement .

Find the point in the parabola ##y^2=x##, ##z=0## closest to the plane ##z=x+2y+8##

The attempt at a solution.

I've solved some problems where I had to find the closest point from a given surface to another point on the space. In this case, I have to find the distance between a curve and a plane so to speak. Maybe I could use Lagrange multipliers, but I am not so sure how to apply it in this particular problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use Lagrange multipliers but the tricky part is finding the function which should be minimized.That can be done by recalling the definition of the distance of a point to a plane. That's just the length of the line from the point normal to the plane.The normal vector of your plane is [itex] \hat{n}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{5}}(1,2,-1) [/itex]. Now consider a point [itex] P(x,y,z) [/itex] in space.But I want P to be on the parabola you mentioned so it becomes [itex] P(y^2,y,0) [/itex].I make a line with P and [itex] -\hat{n} [/itex].[itex] L:(y^2-tn_x,y-tn_y,-tn_z) [/itex] t being a parameter.Now let's see in what t,my line intersects your pane!
[itex]
-tn_z=y^2-tn_x+2(y-tn_y)+8 \Rightarrow (n_x+2n_y-n_z)t=y^2+2y+8 \Rightarrow t=\frac{y(y+2)+8}{n_x+2n_y-n_z}=t_p [/itex]
Now we can find the distance of a point on your parabola to your plane by [itex] d=\sqrt{(y^2-t_p n_x-y^2)^2+(y-t_p n_y-y)^2+(-t_pn_z)^2}=t_p \sqrt{n_x^2+n_y^2+n_z^2} [/itex] But [itex] \hat{n} [/itex] is a unit vector so [itex] d=t_p [/itex].The function you should minimize,is [itex] t_p [/itex].
But wait...We now have a function of one variable with no constraints...so you can just differentiate with respect to [itex] y [/itex] and set it equal to zero and that gives you the answer.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Another way to do it is to use the geometric fact that the "shortest distance" to a plane is always along a line perpendicular to the plane. We can write this plane as x+ 2y- z= -8 so it has <1, 2, -1> as perpendicular vector. A line through [itex](x_0, y_0, 0)[/itex] in the direction of that vector is [itex]x= x_0+ t[/itex], [itex]y= y_0+ 2t[/itex], [itex]z= -t[/itex]. Further we have [itex]y_0= x_0^2[/itex] so we can write that line as [itex]x= x_0+ t[/itex], [itex]y= x_0^2+ 2t[/itex], [itex]z= -t[/itex].

That line will cross the plane when [itex]x_0+ 2(x_0^2+ 2t)- (-t)= 5t+ x_0+ 2x_0^2= -8[/itex]. You can solve that for t in terms of [itex]x_0[/itex], so determine the point in terms of [itex]x_0[/itex]. Then minimize the distance (more easily, the distance squared) to find [itex]x_0[/itex].

Likes 1 person
mahler1 said:
Homework Statement .

Find the point in the parabola ##y^2=x##, ##z=0## closest to the plane ##z=x+2y+8## The attempt at a solution.

I've solved some problems where I had to find the closest point from a given surface to another point on the space. In this case, I have to find the distance between a curve and a plane so to speak. Maybe I could use Lagrange multipliers, but I am not so sure how to apply it in this particular problem.

Besides what others have said, you can (as you wanted) use the Lagrange multiplier method: minimize the squared distance from (t^2,t,0) to (x,y,z), subject to x+2y-z+8=0. The variables are t,x,y,z. This works out very nicely.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person

What is the equation for a parabola?

The general equation for a parabola is y = ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants.

How do you find the closest point on a parabola to a given point?

To find the closest point on a parabola to a given point, you can use the distance formula and set the derivative of the distance equation to 0. This will give you the x-coordinate of the closest point.

What is the significance of finding the closest point on a parabola to a given point?

This calculation is useful in many applications, such as optimization problems, where you want to find the point on a curve that is closest to a given point. It can also be used in physics to determine the trajectory of a projectile.

Can you find the closest point on a parabola to a plane?

Yes, the process is similar to finding the closest point to a given point. You can use the distance formula and set the derivative of the distance equation to 0 to find the x-coordinate of the closest point on the parabola.

What is the relationship between a parabola and a plane?

A parabola and a plane are both geometric shapes, but they have different dimensions. A parabola is a 2-dimensional curve, while a plane is a 3-dimensional shape. However, a parabola can intersect a plane at one or more points.