Finding Solace in Favourite Quotes: Escaping Despair with Words of Wisdom

• Thread starter quddusaliquddus
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about sharing favorite quotes. Some of the mentioned quotes were from famous people like Maynard James Keenan, Robin Williams, Friedrich Nietzsche, and Lao Tzu. Other quotes were from movies like The Godfather and The Fugitive. Some were humorous, some were thought-provoking, and some were just silly. The conversation also touched on the topic of mistakes and the English language. Overall, the conversation was a mix of humor and insightful thoughts.
  • #1,191
"In physics, you don't have to go around making trouble for yourself - nature does it for you."
Frank Wilczek

so true!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,192
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants"
Isaac Newton.

Probably the most beautiful quote by a physicist!

• #1,193
FizixFreak said:
Isaac Newton.

That is a great one...

Perhaps a modern one (sort of)

[An] Expert [is] someone who has made all the mistakes that can be made, but in a very narrow field." (Niels Bohr)

• #1,194
FizixFreak said:
Isaac Newton.

I garbled his quote once, in a fit of rage.

I think it was called "Conqueror Mouse"

The quote's premise was that the protagonist stood atop a mountain of dead bodies, which were of his doing, in order to see further.

"Conqueror Mouse" must have been a portmanteau of "Conqueror Worm" and the diminutive of "King Rat".

Obviously, I read too many books as a child.

:blushing:

• #1,195
nismaratwork said:
That is a great one...

Perhaps a modern one (sort of)

[An] Expert [is] someone who has made all the mistakes that can be made, but in a very narrow field." (Niels Bohr)

I prefer this one...,

“An expert is someone who knows some of the worst mistakes that can be made in his subject, and how to avoid them”

Werner Heisenberg

• #1,196
FizixFreak said:
I prefer this one...,

“An expert is someone who knows some of the worst mistakes that can be made in his subject, and how to avoid them”

Werner Heisenberg

Ah, but Bohr was a good man, and Heisenberg became a Nazi... I'll stick with Bohr. :wink:

• #1,197
Here's something that a lot of tech companies could follow:

"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler."
-Albert Einstein

• #1,198
"I know I am mortal and the creature of a day, but when I search out the massed wheeling circles of the stars, my feet no longer touch the earth, but, side by side with Zeus himself, I take my fill of ambrosia..." - Ptolemy

• #1,199
"So many of these republicans, so many, but not all, some of them; they have Bush's intellect, Berlusconni's moral attitude, and Putin's heart." (Mansour O. El-Kikhia UoT on The Daily Show')

• #1,200
nismaratwork said:
""if u want to learn how to review u should there should be a lawy that you need to read n rite real good." (Gamespot Poster)
:biggrin:

• #1,201
nismaratwork said:
Ah, but Bohr was a good man, and Heisenberg became a Nazi... I'll stick with Bohr. :wink:

wow! i didn't knew that.

• #1,202
Question everything!

There are no dumb questions, only bad answers.

- some manager

• #1,203
When a woman politician called Dirty Harry an a hole or something like that he replied "you tend to bring that out in a person." This almost always works for me. I use it a lot.

• #1,204
Every war when it comes, or before it comes, is represented not as war but as an act of self-defence against a homicidal maniac.

– George Orwell

• #1,205
Greg Bernhardt said:
Blow the golden horn of destiny found in a cave guarded by a cyclops at the end of the world.
[8 char]

• #1,206
FtlIsAwesome said:
[8 char]

That's a nice quote :biggrin:

Edit: lol...

• #1,207
Ignorance is not bliss, eg.) science. ^^;

my Biology teacher told me this "Ever seen the word 'nowhere'? Ever turned it into the words
'now here?" ...for some reason I expect this to burst into flames... realllly... o_o,,

• #1,208
FizixFreak said:
Isaac Newton.

Interestingly, he made this comment as the postscript in a letter to a man he hated - Robert Hooke. Robert Hooke was practically deformed physically, having an ugly, dwarfish appearance.

The most humiliating insult is one that's obvious to everyone except its intended victim.

• #1,209
hello world

• #1,210
A friend was complaining about the time it takes for progress on various projects in his company.

When most people would get out a stop watch, we get out a calendar.

He asked if I knew how many people work at his company. Answer: About half of them.

• #1,211
"People living in the late Pleistocene weren't stupid. They spent an awful lot of time avoiding being eaten, and one of the ways to do that is to stay away from big bears." - anthropologist Erik Trinkaus :smile:

Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/Fate-of-the-Cave-Bear.html#ixzz1K6xEvwLH

It's smart not to be eaten. :biggrin:

• #1,212
"Say not, 'Why were the former days better than these?' For it is not from wisdom that you ask this." -- Ecclesiastes, 2000 years ago

2000 years ago, it was already cliche to talk about the "good old days".

• #1,213
Ivan Seeking said:
He asked if I knew how many people work at his company. Answer: About half of them.

Is it improper to "Roll on the floor laughing, peeing ones pants, and having a heart attack", in the favourite quotes section?

• #1,214
The first is fine, the third is lethal.

• #1,215
FtlIsAwesome said:
The first is fine, the third is lethal.

What's the second?

• #1,216
lisab said:
What's the second?

BananaGram Poetry!

• #1,217
lisab said:
What's the second?
OmCheeto said:
peeing ones pants ... in the favourite quotes section?
That will get you banned.

• #1,218
Kurdt's signature said:
I knew that! :rolleyes:
I did not know that. :rolleyes:
All scientific discussions can be summed up like this. :approve:

• #1,219
G01 - Now, as the air of General Discussion fills my lungs, I want to laugh at both the thread and myself.

• #1,220
"I do not know what I may appear to the world, but to myself
I seem to have been only a boy playing on the seashore, and
diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a
prettier shell than ordinary, while the great ocean of truth lay
all undiscovered before me."
- Sir Isaac Newton

• #1,221
It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?

Ronald Reagan

• #1,222
I really like this one:

"Teach a man to reason, and he'll think for a lifetime." (as seen in Symphony of Science, said by Phil Plait)

Said in an anecdote by Richard Dawkins about a New Scientist Editor:

"Science is interesting, and if you don't agree, you can f*** off."

Ricky Gervais:

"If there is a god, why did he make me an atheist? That was his first mistake.

George Best:

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, birds and fast cars - the rest I just squandered."

• #1,223
"Misericorde: A dagger which in medieval warfare was used by the foot soldier to remind an unhorsed knight that he was mortal." (Ambrose Bierce)

• #1,224
I'm completely in the dark and I like it that way. I'm used to it.
- a friend

• #1,225
i am who i am