Finding Solace in Favourite Quotes: Escaping Despair with Words of Wisdom

• Thread starter quddusaliquddus
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about sharing favorite quotes. Some of the mentioned quotes were from famous people like Maynard James Keenan, Robin Williams, Friedrich Nietzsche, and Lao Tzu. Other quotes were from movies like The Godfather and The Fugitive. Some were humorous, some were thought-provoking, and some were just silly. The conversation also touched on the topic of mistakes and the English language. Overall, the conversation was a mix of humor and insightful thoughts.
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
During this holiday season, please remember not to drink and drive.

You might spill it!
- CNN viewer

Abstinence makes the church grow fondlers

---bumper sticker I saw xmas eve

[Do what I say] or I'm going to kill myself, and then her.
- Tom Cruise

We talk about--and I think the governor's right, and Andrea and, and the speaker are right, it is the battle on the battlefield, but it's also the battle on the economic field. And what's missing here is a discussion, believe it or not, of the environment. And it has nothing to do with global warming down the road, it is today. We are transferring our wealth to countries around the world who don't agree with us and, in many cases, are funding the very terrorists that we're sending our young men and women out to fight. And sometimes they don't come back or they don't come back alive. And we can't keep doing this. We've got to get, somehow or other, energy independence. And so regardless of whether you're a greenie or not, the bottom line is we cannot keep funding our enemies.
- Mayor Michael Bloomberg
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34591423/ns/meet_the_press/page/4/

"I don't believe in beliefs. I don't believe humans use beliefs to act. Beliefs serve some other purpose"

Nassim Taleb

Jewelers rock!
- Tsu

Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what happened.

Jennifer Yane

(but I have seen it attributed to Terry Pratchet)

"You can't win if you suck."

- Tom Ciccarone (fencing coach)

Conquer All said:
"You can't win if you suck."

- Tom Ciccarone (fencing coach)

Alas, Paris Hilton is living proof that this is not true.

(No, there's no dirty-mindedness going on here; Paris sucks at everything she does, yet she is a celeb.)

heartless said:
"Dreams are the touchstones of our characters." - Henry Thoreau

I love that one.

"Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose" Janis Joplin

edpell said:
"Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose" Janis Joplin

This made me think of this (for those of us who were introduced to Groening in his pre-Simpsons days):

Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come.

Which brought me to this:

Haven't you learned anything... We live in a society of laws! Why do you think I took you to all those Police Academy movies? For fun? Well, I didn't hear anybody laughing, did you?
:biggrin:

from a post on page 50
A truly free and independent press is the red beating heart of democracy and freedom
- Dan Rather

Of course we are a constitutional republic and have never been a democracy. Representatives may be selected by popular vote but money has such a distorting influence I would not say we are free either.

edpell said:
from a post on page 50
A truly free and independent press is the red beating heart of democracy and freedom
- Dan Rather

Of course we are a constitutional republic and have never been a democracy. Representatives may be selected by popular vote but money has such a distorting influence I would not say we are free either.

We are a democratic republic, or a representitive democracy, as opposed to a direct democracy. We do have a certain degree of direct democracy in local and State elections.

But this thread is for quotes and not personal complaints.

DaveC426913 said:
Paris sucks at everything she does, yet she is a celeb.
That's because she's good at it.

DaveC426913 said:
Alas, Paris Hilton is living proof that this is not true.

(No, there's no dirty-mindedness going on here; Paris sucks at everything she does, yet she is a celeb.)

"it's not what you know it's who you know" -- author unknown

Security system salesman: You wouldn't want someone to come crashing through your door and violate you in your own kitchen, would you?

Gilda Radner: Well, that depends on who it is...

- SNL; season 1, episode 1.

Last edited:
David E. Cole said:
I have not met with the Obama task force. The reference to "laws of physics" applies to a conversation I had with several congressmen a number of years ago where they suggested we pass a new 2nd law of thermodynamics.

congressmen... :rofl:

http://www.cargroup.org/bod.html" is the Chairman of the Center for Automotive Research

Last edited by a moderator:
edpell said:
"it's not what you know it's who you know" -- author unknown

"It's not who you know, it's who you bl*w."

DaveC426913 said:
"It's not who you know, it's who you bl*w."

And not long ago you stated to not read you literally...

Last edited:
Neurotics build castles in the sky
Psychotics live in them
Psychiatrists collect the rent
- The Lathe of Heaven

Promote term limits for Congress. 2 terms: One in office, one in federal prison
- email

Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes.
- Oscar... *puts on shades* ...Wilde

I spent a year reading everything Dostoyevsky had ever written. At the end of that year, I nearly committed suicide
- a friend

"You can observe a lot just by watching." - Yogi Berra :rofl:

Imagine a world where we all got be be what we wanted when we grow up. What would a world filled with cowboys, fireman, nurses, and ballerinas, be like?

Why don't we have any special names for the top of our feet?

Being a New Yorker is never having to say you're sorry.

Have you ever actually seen anyone laughing all the way to the bank?

Wouldn't it be great if all of those people walking around New York talking to themselves, were paired up. That way it would look like they are talking with each other.
- Lily Tomlin

Common sense isn't very common.

-My father

All quotes not by me, just too lazy to type the names and quotation marks. I fished them out of my journal. :) I hope it inspires you as it has helped inspire me.

When the World say's "give up," hope whispers "try it one more time."

If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing well. If its worth having, it is worth waiting for. If its worth attaining, it is worth fighting for. If its worth experiencing, it is worth putting aside time for.

.. who at worst, if he fails, atleast he fails by daring greatly.

Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its trouble. It empties today of it strength.

I wanted to become an Engineer more than I was afraid of math. (an undergraduate)

If you choose to push your limits you will be in good company.

The only difference between our secrets are whether we allow them to evolve into tales of heroism or fear.

Ivan Seeking said:
Have you ever actually seen anyone laughing all the way to the bank?
- Lily Tomlin

Yes - Bankers.

Garth

"information is not knowledge"
"its a good thing for the government that people are stupid" - Adolf Hitler
"its not that I am smart i just stay with my problems longer" -Albert Einstien
"let the bridges i burn light my way"

What strikes one from the very first in Hilbert's works is the pure beauty of their imposing architecture; they do not give the impression of superficial "elegance," resulting from calculations cleverly carried out, but a much more profound aesthetic satisfaction, which flows from the perfect harmony between the end pursued and the means employed to achieve it. The latter are most often of a disconcerting simplicity; it is usually not a perfecting, however ingenious, of the methods that leads Hilbert to his great discoveries, but, on the contrary, a voluntary return to the beginning of the problem under consideration, and a freeing from the raw material, where no one had been able to see them, the fundamental principles which allowed him to take the "royal road" to the solution, vainly sought for until then.
- Jean Dieudonne

theneedtoknow said:
I'm reading an electrodynamics textbook and in the preface there is a mention that the number of positive and negative charges in solid objects is extremely precisely balanced, and gives an example, that if there was an imbalance of even 1 part in 10^10, "a potato would explode violently".
How, exactly, would it explode?

mgb_phys said:
Violently?

This made my weekend.

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
~Mahatma Gandhi

It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
~Seneca