Help with finding the determinant using gaussian elimination

In summary, the conversation is about using Gaussian elimination to find the determinant of a matrix. The speaker has already attempted to form zeros below the diagonal and has performed the first row operation, but is unsure of how to continue. Another person suggests adding the first row multiplied by -3 to the second row and then adding the second row multiplied by 9/4 to the third row. This results in a determinant of 31.
brunette15
I attempting to find the determinant using gaussian elimination for the following matrix [1 2 3; 3 2 2; 0 9 8].
I have begun by attempting to form zeros below the diagonal. My first row operation was to make row 2 equal to 3(row 1) - row 2. This gives me [1 2 3; 0 4 7; 0 9 8] . I think i am making a small mistake whenever i try to continue from here, anyone have any suggestions as to what to do from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
brunette15 said:
I attempting to find the determinant using gaussian elimination for the following matrix [1 2 3; 3 2 2; 0 9 8].
I have begun by attempting to form zeros below the diagonal. My first row operation was to make row 2 equal to 3(row 1) - row 2. This gives me [1 2 3; 0 4 7; 0 9 8] . I think i am making a small mistake whenever i try to continue from here, anyone have any suggestions as to what to do from here?

The correct procedure starts adding to the row 2 the row 1 multiplied by -3 so that you first obtain from [1 2 3; 3 2 2; 0 9 8] the matrix [1 2 3; 0 -4 -7; 0 9 8]. Then You add to the row 3 the row 2 multiplied by 9/4 obtaining [1 2 3; 0 -4 -7; 0 0 - 31/4] , so that the determinant is 31...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

1. What is gaussian elimination?

Gaussian elimination is a method used to solve a system of linear equations by reducing the system into an upper triangular form. This is achieved by using a series of elementary row operations.

2. Why is gaussian elimination used to find determinants?

Gaussian elimination is used to find determinants because it is an efficient and systematic method for reducing a matrix into an upper triangular form, which makes it easier to calculate the determinant. It also helps to avoid any errors that may occur while manually calculating the determinant.

3. How do I perform gaussian elimination to find the determinant?

To perform gaussian elimination to find the determinant, first write the matrix in augmented form (with the constants on the right side). Then, use elementary row operations to reduce the matrix into an upper triangular form. Finally, multiply the values on the diagonal of the upper triangular matrix to find the determinant.

4. Can gaussian elimination be used for matrices of any size?

Yes, gaussian elimination can be used for matrices of any size as long as the number of rows and columns are equal. However, for larger matrices, the process may become more complex and time-consuming.

5. Are there any limitations to using gaussian elimination to find determinants?

One limitation of using gaussian elimination to find determinants is that it becomes more computationally intensive for larger matrices. Additionally, if the matrix has a row of zeros, the determinant will be zero, but this does not necessarily mean that the matrix is non-invertible.