How to Calculate Energy and Velocity of Pi Meson in D Meson Decay?

In summary, the problem given involves calculating the energy and velocity of a pi meson from a D meson decay into a K meson and pi meson. Using conservation of energy and momentum and isolating the four-momentum of the K meson, the equation can be squared to solve for the energy of the pi meson in terms of the masses. Once the energy is known, the velocity can be calculated.
bon

Homework Statement

Ok so I am given the masses of D meson, pi meson and K meson and told that a D meson at rest decays into a K meson and pi meson. Told to calculate the energy and velocity of the pi meson..

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

well i know you have to use conservation of 4 momentum..

so energy before = total energy after..and i know that the momenta of the pi and K meson after the collision are equal and opposite, but i can't see how to use this to get total energy of pi meson..:S

any tips?

Physics news on Phys.org
I remember having this same question, confused me for a while as well.

Your right on the breaking it up into parts:

What is the energy of a D meson at rest? You might have to look this up online, when I solved it this information was supposed to be given (they didn't give the number, we had to look it up).
try using Einsteins Equation

Now After:
What is the rest energy of a K meson and Pi meson? This combined rest energy should be less than the einitial D meson energy. The difference in energy must have been converted to kinetic energy.

M(pi-meson)*V(Pi-Meson) = M(K-meson)*V(K-Meson)

Do you know four-vectors?

yes :)

what is the four vector method?

thanks

Use conservation of energy and momentum to relate the four-momenta of the three particles. The trick is to isolate the four-momentum of the K meson on one side and then square the resulting equation. That will let you solve for the energy of the pion in terms of the masses. Once you know the energy, you can find the velocity.

What is "Special Relativity Decay Q"?

"Special Relativity Decay Q" is a term used in particle physics to describe the process in which a particle decays into other particles in accordance with the principles of special relativity.

How is "Special Relativity Decay Q" related to special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory that describes how the laws of physics appear the same to all observers moving at a constant velocity. "Special Relativity Decay Q" takes into account the effects of special relativity on the decay of particles and how it affects the observed decay rate.

What factors affect the rate of "Special Relativity Decay Q"?

The rate of "Special Relativity Decay Q" is affected by the energy of the decaying particle, the mass of the resulting particles, and the distance between them. The closer the resulting particles are to each other, the faster the decay rate.

How is "Special Relativity Decay Q" measured?

The decay rate of a particle can be measured by observing the number of particles decaying over a certain period of time. This is typically done using particle accelerators and detectors that can track and identify the resulting particles.

What applications does "Special Relativity Decay Q" have?

The study of "Special Relativity Decay Q" has applications in understanding the fundamental nature of matter and energy, as well as in fields such as nuclear physics and astrophysics. It also has practical applications in medical imaging and radiation therapy.