If a, b are irrational, then is ##a^b## irrational?

• Thread starter QuietMind
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Irrational
In summary: This statement is false because the fraction ##a^b d = c## can still be rational if the integers c and d are different.
QuietMind

Homework Statement

True or false and why: If a and b are irrational, then ##a^b## is irrational.

Homework Equations

None, but the relevant example provided in the text is the proof of irrationality of ##\sqrt{2}##

The Attempt at a Solution

Attempt proof by contradiction. Say ##a^b## is rational, then we can express
##a^b = \frac{c}{d}##
for some integer c and d. Without loss of generality, we can choose c and d to express the fractions in lowest terms.
Then, ##a^b d = c## which implies that ##a^b## must be an integer. This seems to me like a suspicious statement. The problem reduces to whether or not we can have ##a^b = c## where c is an integer. How would I show this possible/ impossible, if indeed this is the correct path to a solution?

Physics news on Phys.org
QuietMind said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

None, but the relevant example provided in the text is the proof of irrationality of ##\sqrt{2}##

##a^b = \frac{c}{d}##
for some integer c and d. Without loss of generality, we can choose c and d to express the fractions in lowest terms.
Then, ##a^b d = c## which implies that ##a^b## must be an integer. This seems to me like a suspicious statement. The problem reduces to whether or not we can have ##a^b = c## where c is an integer. How would I show this possible/ impossible, if indeed this is the correct path to a solution?
Can you raise e (which is irrational) to some irrational power, but still get a rational number?

Likes QuietMind
Mark44 said:
Can you raise e (which is irrational) to some irrational power, but still get a rational number?

Yes, if we raise it to the natural log of some rational number. ## e^ {\ln{ \frac{c}{d} }} = \frac{c}{d} ##.

Applying this to the original statement, we would have ## b = \log_{a} \frac{c}{d} ##. Do we have to prove that ## \log_{a} \frac{c}{d} ## is irrational to finish this? My attempt to do so: assume it is rational. Then ## \log_{a} \frac{c}{d} = \frac{e}{f} ## where e, f are integers such that fraction is in lowest terms. Then ## \frac{c}{d} = a^{\frac{e}{f}} ##. I'm tempted to say that raising an irrational number to a rational power (other than 0) will result in an irrational and hence a contradiction, but I'm not sure how to prove. Where do I go from here?

More simply ##e^{\ln(2)} = 2##. Surely ##\ln(2)## is irrational...

QuietMind said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

##a^b = \frac{c}{d}##

As your text refers to the irrationality of ##\sqrt{2}##

Consider: ##\sqrt{2}^{\sqrt{2}}##. If this is rational, we are done. Otherwise, when it is irrational, we have ##(\sqrt{2}^{\sqrt{2}})^{\sqrt{2}} = \sqrt{2}^{2} = 2##. Thus, surely any of these two numbers will be the number you seek. Note that this proof does not show which one (But I believe it's the second one)

Likes LCKurtz
Mark44 said:
More simply ##e^{\ln(2)} = 2##. Surely ##\ln(2)## is irrational...

Why is ln(2) irrational?

Just as a remark on the subject in case you're interested in: Theorem of Gelfond-Schneider

If ##a## and ##b## are algebraic numbers (e.g. rational) with ##a \notin \{0,1\}## and ## b## irrational, then any value of ##a^b## is a transcendental number (which are irrational).

My favorite example of this (maybe a stretch because it uses imaginary numbers) is simply @Math_QED s profile picture.

##e^{i\pi}=-1##

Even though it is imaginary, I still believe that ##i\pi## is irrational, because it is i*3.14159265... (it still goes on forever).

As the original question is answered, but the flaw in the attempt didn't get pointed out:
QuietMind said:

##a^b = \frac{c}{d}##
Then, ##a^b d = c## which implies that ##a^b## must be an integer.
It does not. Ignoring the details of the exponent, imagine ##a^b = \frac 5 3##. Therefore, ##a^b \cdot 3 = 5##. Does that imply ##a^b## has to be an integer?

Isaac0427 said:
Even though it is imaginary, I still believe that iπ is irrational, because it is i*3.14159265... (it still goes on forever).
The irrational numbers are a subset of the reals. ##i\pi## is a pure-real complex number.

mfb said:
That number wouldn't help for the original question here - 2log_2(3) is rational, but 2 is rational as well.
I wasn't giving it as another possible counterexample, but rather in answer to Isaac's question. Proving that ##\log_2(3)## is irrational is pretty easy, but proving that ##\ln(2)## is irrational would be quite a bit harder.

Mark44 said:
Most of the numbers produced by the natural log function are themselves transcendental, a subcategory or the irrationals, with the other subcategory being algebraic numbers.
This is also interesting in this context (and the first time I heard of / read about it):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcendental_number_theory

Math_QED said:
As your text refers to the irrationality of ##\sqrt{2}##

Consider: ##\sqrt{2}^{\sqrt{2}}##. If this is rational, we are done. Otherwise, when it is irrational, we have ##(\sqrt{2}^{\sqrt{2}})^{\sqrt{2}} = \sqrt{2}^{2} = 2##. Thus, surely any of these two numbers will be the number you seek. Note that this proof does not show which one (But I believe it's the second one)

Nice! Best argument of the bunch because it only uses the irrationality of ##\sqrt 2##.

Likes member 587159

1. Is the statement always true?

Yes, the statement "if a, b are irrational, then ##a^b## is irrational" is always true. This is because the product of two irrational numbers is always irrational, and raising an irrational number to an irrational power is the same as multiplying it by itself multiple times.

2. Can you provide an example to illustrate this statement?

One example is ##\sqrt{2}## and ##\sqrt{3}##. Both of these numbers are irrational, but ##\sqrt{2}^{\sqrt{3}}## is also irrational, as it cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers.

3. Is the converse of this statement also true?

No, the converse of this statement is not always true. Just because ##a^b## is irrational, it does not necessarily mean that both a and b are irrational. For example, ##2^{\sqrt{2}}## is irrational, but 2 is a rational number.

4. How does this statement relate to the properties of irrational numbers?

This statement relates to the property of closure for irrational numbers. Closure means that when performing an operation (such as multiplication) on two irrational numbers, the result will also be irrational. In this case, raising an irrational number to an irrational power results in an irrational number.

5. Does this statement have any real-world applications?

Yes, this statement is commonly used in mathematical proofs and in the study of fractals, where irrational powers are used to create complex and intricate shapes. It also has applications in physics, particularly in the fields of chaos theory and quantum mechanics.