Proving something is irrational

• Thread starter ver_mathstats
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Irrational
In summary, to prove that for all x ∈ ℝ, at least one of √3 - x and √3 +x is irrational, you can use a proof by contradiction by assuming that both √3 - x and √3 +x are rational and then showing that this leads to a contradiction. This can be done by adding or subtracting the two expressions and equating them to a/b.
ver_mathstats

Homework Statement

Prove that for all x ∈ ℝ, at least one of √3 - x and √3 +x is irrational.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand how to prove that √3 is a irrational number by proof by contradiction. However I am not sure how to prove this one.

Would I have to equate √3 - x = a/b and √3 + x = a/b and prove by contradiction?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
ver_mathstats said:

Homework Statement

Prove that for all x ∈ ℝ, at least one of √3 - x and √3 +x is irrational.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand how to prove that √3 is a irrational number by proof by contradiction. However I am not sure how to prove this one.

Would I have to equate √3 - x = a/b and √3 + x = a/b and prove by contradiction?

Thank you.

That would be a good start. Although the two numbers can't both be equal to the same ##a/b##.

If you see something with ##a-b## and ##a+b## it is always an idea to multiply them. Try a proof by contradiction, i.e. assume both were rational.

fresh_42 said:
If you see something with ##a-b## and ##a+b## it is always an idea to multiply them. Try a proof by contradiction, i.e. assume both were rational.
Or add them!

Likes fresh_42
fresh_42 said:
So I'd multiply (√3-x)(√3+x) and then equate it to a/b?

ver_mathstats said:
So I'd multiply (√3-x)(√3+x) and then equate it to a/b?
@PeroK's hint is the better idea: what do you get if you add / subtract the two?

fresh_42 said:
@PeroK's hint is the better idea: what do you get if you add / subtract the two?
Okay so when I add then I obtain √3 + √3 or 2√3 and then this is what we equate to a/b? Thank you.

PeroK said:
Or add them!
Thank you. I'd get 2√3 = a/b?

The proof starts with - as you already suggested: Assume ##x-\sqrt{3}## and ##x+\sqrt{3}## were both rational. Then their sum and difference ...

1. What does it mean for something to be irrational?

In mathematics, an irrational number is a real number that cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers. This means that it cannot be written as a fraction with a finite number of digits after the decimal point.

2. How do you prove that a number is irrational?

There are several methods for proving that a number is irrational. One common method is to assume that the number is rational and then show that this leads to a contradiction. Another method is to use the decimal expansion of the number and show that it is non-repeating and non-terminating.

3. Can any number be proven to be irrational?

No, not all numbers can be proven to be irrational. In fact, most numbers are irrational. It is much easier to prove that a number is rational than to prove that it is irrational.

4. Are there any patterns or characteristics that can help identify irrational numbers?

Yes, there are some patterns and characteristics that can help identify irrational numbers. For example, irrational numbers often have non-repeating and non-terminating decimal expansions, and they cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers.

5. How does proving something is irrational impact the field of mathematics?

Proving something is irrational is important in mathematics because it helps us understand the properties and relationships of numbers. It also allows us to solve certain mathematical problems and can lead to new discoveries and advancements in the field.