Why Does Ionization Energy Increase Differently Between Orbital Types?

In summary, ionization energy is the amount of energy required to remove an electron from an atom or molecule. It typically increases from left to right across a period in the periodic table and decreases as you move down a group. The noble gases have the highest ionization energy while alkali metals have the lowest. Lower ionization energy also leads to higher reactivity, as seen in the highly reactive alkali metals.
i_love_science
There is a large increase in ionization energy when an electron is removed from a p orbital versus when it is removed from a s orbital (and likewise when it is removed from the valence shell and from the inner shells). Why is there a smaller increase when successive electrons are removed from the same subshell? (shouldn't the ionization energy change by the same amount / have the same slope as the large increase?)

Thank you.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
i_love_science said:
There is a large increase in ionization energy when an electron is removed from a p orbital versus when it is removed from a s orbital
Is there?

Likes etotheipi
mjc123 said:
Is there?
Yes I think, though it isn't as noticeable as when it is removed from the valence shell versus from the inner shells (when looking at ionization energy graphs). Can you correct where my process went wrong? Thanks.

Can you give some examples?

mjc123 said:
Can you give some examples?
There is a much higher ionization energy for Be (899.5) than B (800.6) Can you correct me now if there's anything wrong? Thank you!

900 vs 800 is not a substantial difference, same ballpark.

i_love_science said:
There is a large increase in ionization energy when an electron is removed from the valence shell versus from the inner shells. Why is there a smaller increase when successive electrons are removed from the same shell? (shouldn't the ionization energy change by the same amount / have the same slope as the large increase?)

Can anyone answer my revised question now? Thanks.

"(shouldn't the ionization energy change by the same amount / have the same slope as the large increase?)"
No. Why should it?

"There is a large increase in ionization energy when an electron is removed from the valence shell versus from the inner shells."
This is not true. I realize English may not be your first language, but what you write seems to mean the opposite of what you intend. "There is a large increase in A versus B" implies that A is greater than B, B being the standard of comparison. You appear to mean "There is a large increase in going from A to B", i.e. B is greater than A. Better to say plainly "B is bigger than A".

Thank you for teaching me how to write properly. I have greatly learned from your explanations on how to consistently pose questions and not answer the question directly. I understand the question now and no longer need help.

Good. We seem to have been misunderstanding each other, that's all.

1. What is ionization energy?

Ionization energy is the amount of energy required to remove an electron from an atom or molecule, resulting in the formation of a positively charged ion.

2. How does ionization energy change across a period on the periodic table?

Ionization energy generally increases across a period on the periodic table. This is because as you move from left to right, the number of protons in the nucleus increases, resulting in a stronger attraction between the nucleus and the electrons, making it more difficult to remove an electron.

3. What is the trend for ionization energy down a group on the periodic table?

Ionization energy generally decreases down a group on the periodic table. This is because as you move down a group, the number of energy levels or shells increases, making it easier to remove an electron from the outermost energy level.

4. How does the size of an atom affect its ionization energy?

The smaller the size of an atom, the higher its ionization energy. This is because smaller atoms have a stronger attraction between the nucleus and the electrons, making it more difficult to remove an electron.

5. What are some factors that can affect ionization energy?

Some factors that can affect ionization energy include the number of protons in the nucleus, the distance between the nucleus and the outermost electrons, and the shielding effect of inner electrons. Other factors such as electron configuration, atomic radius, and nuclear charge can also have an impact on ionization energy.