QM for electrical engineering?

In summary, the conversation discusses the benefits of taking an intro modern physics and/or quantum mechanics course from the physics department for someone interested in pursuing graduate research in "plasma/quantum devices and optics." It is recommended that the person takes at least the intro modern physics course as it is typically a prerequisite for quantum mechanics. It is also suggested to consider an online quantum course as an alternative. It is noted that semiconductor courses can vary in their level of focus on theoretical background and that a first course in quantum mechanics can be useful in understanding hand-wavey concepts. It is advised to take the modern physics course, but the decision to take the quantum mechanics course depends on one's aspirations.
axmls
Hi there PFers

I'm looking into a variety of areas of research in electrical engineering at US universities. For instance, looking at the University of Texas page, there's a research specialty in EE called "plasma/quantum devices and optics."

Now, this looks very interesting to me. I was wondering how beneficial it would be for me to take the intro modern physics and/or the first quantum mechanics course from my physics department. I will be taking one (or maybe two, if it's offered) course on semiconductor devices from my EE department, which will no doubt contain at least some very basic QM.

Of course, tacking on the physics department course would put me at 20 hours next semester, which could potentially distract me from the research I'm doing in another (unrelated) field of EE.

So, is it more beneficial to take the course from the physics department and deal with a heavier workload (that may distract me from unrelated EE research), or just take the solid state devices courses my department offers, since there are probably engineering QM courses offered at whatever grad school I go to?

Now, I could ask for some solo project from the solid state devices professor this semester as part of an honors contract (a contract that allows me to get honors credit for the course in exchange for extra work). Assuming he would give me a suitable project, would this be looked at favorably by graduate schools? As in, could that be considered actual research, given that it's big enough? If that's the case, it may make more sense to just do that with my extra time and not take the physics course.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you haven't had intro to modern physics and plan on pursuing graduate research in
axmls said:
"plasma/quantum devices and optics."
then it would be very beneficial that you took at minimum intro to modern physics (which is typically a prereq to quantum mechanics). Most of the solid state course offerings in a EE department tend to vary from very light theoretical background to a comparable QM course offered in the physics department. Another alternative that you might consider is a open course starting this fall

http://www-ee.stanford.edu/~dabm/OnlineQuantum.html

by David Miller. I have used his book as a reference it seems very well written and quite practical if you were ever needing to do design at the quantum level.

Outside of your various research things going on, I would throw in that a semiconductor course can vary significantly from very physics oriented (e.g. essentially an applied condensed matter course) to very engineering oriented (e.g. focused primarily on industrial design and applications). The former would realistically require QM as a prereq, while the latter probably wouldn't teach you any QM other than "electrons don't behave classically, this is a vague qualitative idea of electron bands, and someone else has calculated all the values you need to do your work so you won't need to know any quantum".

More generally solid state and condensed matter including semiconductor stuff tends to be a little more "hand-wavey" than straight QM since you can't actually directly calculate anything about the many body systems, so it's all approximations and such anyway. However a first course in QM will at the very least introduce you to the SE and stuff like expectation values and observables, which is useful in understanding the former hand-wavey stuff (at least this is what I gather).

You should definitely take the modern phys course, whether you want to take the QM depends somewhat on your aspirations. It'll be basically useless context "for culture" if you go into industry, but if you go onto grad school depending on your focus it could be quite useful. Obviously if you're going into device physics and/or optics/photonics it's probably quite useful, but if you go into just general semiconductor/EE stuff it's probably less essential.

1. What is quantum mechanics (QM) and how does it relate to electrical engineering?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior and interactions of subatomic particles. It is the foundation of modern physics and explains the behavior of matter and energy at a fundamental level. In electrical engineering, quantum mechanics is used to understand and develop technologies such as transistors, lasers, and solar cells.

2. How does quantum mechanics impact the design and operation of electronic devices?

Quantum mechanics plays a crucial role in the design and operation of electronic devices. For example, the principles of quantum mechanics are used to understand the behavior of electrons in semiconductors, which are essential for the functioning of transistors. Quantum mechanics also helps in the development of technologies such as quantum computing and nanotechnology.

3. What are some practical applications of quantum mechanics in electrical engineering?

There are many practical applications of quantum mechanics in electrical engineering. Some examples include the development of microelectronics, quantum sensors for measuring magnetic fields, and quantum cryptography for secure communication. Other applications include the use of quantum dots in LED displays and the development of quantum computers for faster and more efficient computing.

4. How does quantum mechanics impact the study of electromagnetism?

Quantum mechanics and electromagnetism are closely related, as both describe the behavior of particles and fields at a fundamental level. In fact, the theory of quantum electrodynamics combines both quantum mechanics and electromagnetism to explain the behavior of particles and their interactions with electromagnetic fields. This theory is crucial in understanding many phenomena in electrical engineering, such as the behavior of light and the operation of electronic devices.

5. Is it necessary for electrical engineers to have a deep understanding of quantum mechanics?

While a deep understanding of quantum mechanics is not necessary for all areas of electrical engineering, it is becoming increasingly important in certain fields such as nanotechnology and quantum computing. A basic understanding of quantum mechanics can also help engineers to better understand the behavior of electronic devices and develop more advanced technologies. However, for many practical applications, a working knowledge of quantum mechanics is sufficient.