Second Bachelors Degree in Aerospace engineering at age 27?

In summary, the individual is at a crossroads in their career, having graduated with a degree in economics and currently working in finance but feeling more passionate about rocket engine design as a hobby. They are considering pursuing a master's degree in finance but have concerns about their age and lack of work experience. Their end goal is to work in design and research for propulsion systems. Suggestions include interning during studies to gain work experience and the possibility of transitioning back to finance if needed.
harkkam
Hi guys, I hope I can explain my situation well enough and get some good feedback on what to do.

I graduated with a Bachelors in Economics, at the age of 24, started college late due to some financial hardship. I've been working for two years now, and I'm at a crossroads on what to do next.

I really don't find myself as fascinated with finance, in fact I routinely study rocket engine design and as a hobby have taken up building my own liquid propellant rocket engine. Check out Copenhagen Suborbital, great bunch of guys trying to send a man into sub orbit.

The next step would be for me to go and get a masters in finance ie. MBA but I'm not so sure about that anymore.

I took cal 1 and cal 2 and physics 1 and physics 2 and chem 1 and chem 2. I found calc to be quite easy actually. I struggled in my liberal arts courses and my gpa was a 3.2. Calc and physics being the only classes that I got an A in, in my entire college career.

I don't doubt my aptitude but if I apply to college know, I will be 27 when I start and spend about 3 years graduating and be done by 30.

I worry that at 30, with no work experience that I will have a tough time finding a job.

My end goal is to spend time in design and research, being able to test new materials and systems for propulsion in rockets and jet engines.

I envision it would almost be fun to come into work and fire up the CAD and go to work, as if everyday was creative and new.

Anyway, I hope I can get some guidance and opinions.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
You can intern during your studies to help gain useful work experience, further if you go on to get a masters many companies will waive the "one years experience."

It is illegal for an interviewer to ask your age, although it's inferable from your résumé. I don't think age 30 will a be a problem.

If it doesn't work out, you can always go back into finance and pay off the debt.

Engineers and scientists regularly get jobs in the finance industry. Plus, he has an economics degree and experience in finance.

for sharing your situation and goals with us. It sounds like you have a strong interest in aerospace engineering and a passion for rocket engine design. Pursuing a second bachelor's degree in this field at the age of 27 may seem daunting, but it is definitely possible and could lead to a fulfilling career in the aerospace industry.

First of all, I want to assure you that age should not be a limiting factor in pursuing your dreams and goals. Many people change careers or go back to school later in life, and it can actually be a benefit as you bring a unique perspective and life experience to your studies. In fact, many employers value this diversity in their workforce.

In terms of your concern about job prospects at the age of 30, I would suggest looking into internships or co-op programs while you are in school. These can provide valuable work experience and make you more competitive in the job market. Additionally, networking and attending career fairs can also help you make connections and learn about job opportunities in the industry.

It's also important to consider the financial aspect of pursuing a second bachelor's degree. You may want to look into scholarships, grants, or other financial aid options to help cover the cost of tuition and living expenses.

Overall, it seems like you have a clear passion and interest in aerospace engineering, and I would encourage you to pursue it. With hard work, determination, and a positive attitude, you can achieve your goals and have a fulfilling career in this field. Good luck!

1. What are the eligibility criteria for pursuing a second bachelors degree in aerospace engineering at age 27?

The eligibility criteria may vary depending on the university or institution offering the degree. However, in general, you will need to have completed your first bachelors degree, preferably in a related field, and meet the minimum GPA requirement. Some universities may also have age restrictions for admission into their undergraduate programs.

2. Will my previous coursework count towards my second bachelors degree in aerospace engineering?

Yes, in most cases, your previous coursework will count towards your degree. However, this will depend on the specific courses you have taken and the curriculum of the aerospace engineering program. You may need to take some additional courses to fulfill the requirements of the degree.

3. Is it common to pursue a second bachelors degree in aerospace engineering at age 27?

While it is not as common as pursuing a masters degree, it is not uncommon for individuals to pursue a second bachelors degree in a different field. Many people may have realized their passion for aerospace engineering later in life or may have taken a break from education to gain work experience before deciding to go back to school.

4. How long will it take to complete a second bachelors degree in aerospace engineering at age 27?

The duration of the program will depend on the specific curriculum and credit requirements of the university. Typically, it can take 2-3 years to complete a second bachelors degree, but this can vary. Some universities may offer accelerated programs for individuals with a previous bachelors degree.

5. What career opportunities are available after completing a second bachelors degree in aerospace engineering at age 27?

With a degree in aerospace engineering, you can pursue a career in the aerospace industry, working in areas such as aircraft design, space exploration, and defense. You may also have opportunities in related fields, such as aviation and defense technology. The demand for aerospace engineers is expected to grow in the coming years, creating a variety of job opportunities for graduates.