Static Structural Tool in ANSYS, General Error

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with running ANSYS Workbench on a cantilever beam model. The user has defined materials, produced a mesh and applied a load force, but receives a general error message when running the solution. One potential solution is to check for errors or warnings in pre-processing and to reduce the size of the model or the load force. If these do not work, reaching out to ANSYS support may provide further assistance.
Burner21
Hello everyone

Just a quick question, hopefully someone could shed some light upon what I'm doing wrong here?

I'm using ANSYS Workbench to apply a force to what is effectively a cantilever beam, fixed at one end, with a load applied at the other. To be more specific it is a spring strut of a light aircrafts landing gear, where the load is a calculated force at touchdown of landing, so the load bearing end has a wheel assembly attached that I created using Siemens NX.

I've defined the materials of each section, produced a mesh and applied the load force and fixed support at either end, but when I run the solution I get the following error message:

"An error occurred inside the SOLVER module: general error."

Does anybody have any idea what could be causing this? Appreciate any help you can give. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Burner

I was having the same problem, but i just worked out what was causing it for me.

I think I am using an education license, which limits the number of nodes you can have in a model. If you exceed it then it gives you this error. I reduced the size of my model and reduced the number of nodes I was using and the problem went away.

The model I am working with at the moment has just under 125000 nodes. A model twice the size didn't run, so id guess the cut off could be between 125000 and 250000 - although I'm not sure.

Try reducing your model size.

Likes abhishek00001

Hi there,

I'm not an expert in ANSYS Workbench, but from what you've described, it sounds like you've done everything correctly. It's possible that there could be an issue with the mesh or the material properties you've defined. Have you tried checking for any errors or warnings in the pre-processing stage? Also, have you tried running the solution with different mesh settings or material properties to see if that makes a difference?

Another possibility could be that the load force you've applied is too high for the beam to handle, causing the solver to fail. Have you tried reducing the load and seeing if the solution runs successfully?

If none of these solutions work, it might be helpful to reach out to the ANSYS support team for further assistance. They might be able to provide more specific guidance on what could be causing the general error. Hope this helps!

1. What is the Static Structural Tool in ANSYS?

The Static Structural Tool in ANSYS is a simulation software used for structural analysis and design. It allows engineers and scientists to predict the behavior and performance of structures under various loading conditions.

2. How does the Static Structural Tool work?

The Static Structural Tool uses finite element analysis (FEA) to break down a complex structure into smaller, simpler elements. It then solves equations for each element to determine the overall behavior of the structure. This allows for accurate predictions of stress, deformation, and other structural properties.

3. What types of structures can be analyzed with the Static Structural Tool?

The Static Structural Tool can be used to analyze a wide range of structures, including beams, trusses, frames, shells, and solids. It can also handle various types of loads, such as mechanical, thermal, and electromagnetic.

4. What are some common errors encountered when using the Static Structural Tool?

Some common errors that may occur when using the Static Structural Tool include meshing errors, convergence errors, and general errors. These errors can often be resolved by adjusting the model setup or refining the mesh.

5. How can I troubleshoot a general error in the Static Structural Tool?

If you encounter a general error in the Static Structural Tool, the first step is to check the log file for more information on the error. It is also helpful to review the model setup, boundary conditions, and material properties to ensure they are correct. If the error persists, it may be necessary to contact technical support for further assistance.