Sub groups of the dihedral group

In summary, the conversation revolves around a proof involving the dihedral group, where two subgroups <s> and <r> are being considered. The question is whether the theorem stating Dm = <r><s> applies in this case. After discussing various aspects and representations of the problem, it is determined that this theorem is not necessary and the solution lies in considering the words over the alphabet {r,s} and whether they can be written as r^k * 1 or r^k * s.
AllRelative

Homework Statement

This is only a step in a proof I am trying to make.

Let Dm be the dihedral group.
r is the rotation of 2π/m around the origin and s is a reflexion about a line passing trough a vertex and the origin.

Let<s> and <r> be two subgroups of Dm.

Is there a theorem that states that Dm = <r><s>

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Thanks for the help

Physics news on Phys.org
AllRelative said:

Homework Statement

This is only a step in a proof I am trying to make.

Let Dm be the dihedral group.
r is the rotation of 2π/m around the origin and s is a reflexion about a line passing trough a vertex and the origin.

Let<s> and <r> be two subgroups of Dm.

Is there a theorem that states that Dm = <r><s>

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Thanks for the help
There is no theorem needed. If you look at the representation ##D_m=\langle r,s\,|\,r^m=s^2=srsr=1 \rangle ## then can you say whether all words over the alphabet ##\{\,r,s\,\}## can be written as ## r^k \cdot 1## or ##r^k\cdot s\,?## Or what do you mean by ##\langle r\rangle \langle s\rangle\,?##

As groups, and if you consider ##\langle r\rangle \langle s\rangle = \langle r\rangle \times \langle s\rangle## as a direct product, then this is not true. One of those subgroups is not normal.

Likes AllRelative
fresh_42 said:
There is no theorem needed. If you look at the representation ##D_m=\langle r,s\,|\,r^m=s^2=srsr=1 \rangle ## then can you say whether all words over the alphabet ##\{\,r,s\,\}## can be written as ## r^k \cdot 1## or ##r^k\cdot s\,?## Or what do you mean by ##\langle r\rangle \langle s\rangle\,?##

As groups, and if you consider ##\langle r\rangle \langle s\rangle = \langle r\rangle \times \langle s\rangle## as a direct product, then this is not true. One of those subgroups is not normal.

Thanks again for the response you rock.
You made me realize I was not on the right track. But I think I found it. Thanks!

By the way, it would probably be easier if I wrote the whole problem I'm working on but I'm concerned about plagiarism since this is an assignment haha.

1. What are subgroups of the dihedral group?

Subgroups of the dihedral group are smaller groups that are contained within the larger dihedral group. They consist of elements from the dihedral group that satisfy the group axioms and form a closed set under the group operation.

2. How many subgroups does the dihedral group have?

The number of subgroups in a dihedral group depends on the order of the group. For a dihedral group of order n, there are n subgroups, including the identity subgroup and the full dihedral group itself.

3. What are the properties of subgroups of the dihedral group?

Subgroups of the dihedral group inherit some properties from the larger group, such as the order of the subgroup being a factor of the order of the dihedral group. They also have their own unique properties, such as being cyclic or non-cyclic.

4. How are subgroups of the dihedral group related to symmetry operations?

Subgroups of the dihedral group are closely related to symmetry operations as they are a way of categorizing and organizing the various symmetries that can be performed on a regular polygon. Each subgroup corresponds to a specific set of symmetry operations.

5. Can subgroups of the dihedral group be used to simplify calculations?

Yes, subgroups of the dihedral group can be useful in simplifying calculations, particularly when dealing with large or complex dihedral groups. By breaking down the larger group into smaller, more manageable subgroups, it becomes easier to analyze and understand the group's structure and properties.