Transistor and an LED in parallel

In summary, the individual is asking if the given circuit (with an incorrectly placed resistor and missing diode arrow) would light up the LED or cause the transistor to short the circuit. The response explains that the circuit would not work in that way and suggests using Google Images to find a suitable circuit. A resource is also provided for more information on using a transistor as a switch.
physsure
Hi! I'm new to EE and was wondering if this: https://imgur.com/a/lSgNl52 would cause the LED to light up, or would the transistor short the circuit?

(I forgot to add the arrow on the diode and I'm too lazy to fix it. And I just realized that the resistor is wrongly placed.)

Engineering news on Phys.org
physsure said:
Hi! I'm new to EE and was wondering if this: https://imgur.com/a/lSgNl52 would cause the LED to light up, or would the transistor short the circuit?

(I forgot to add the arrow on the diode and I'm too lazy to fix it. And I just realized that the resistor is wrongly placed.)
Nope, doesn't work that way. When the transistor turns on as a "low-side switch", you want current to be drawn from the + power supply, through a current-limiting resistor, through the LED and the transistor to ground.

See if you can use Google Images to find typical circuits that do this. Let us know if you have trouble with the search terms and we can suggest some... :smile:

1. What is a transistor and an LED in parallel?

A transistor and an LED in parallel refers to the arrangement of two electronic components in a circuit, where they are connected side by side with each other. This allows for current to flow through both components simultaneously.

2. How does a transistor and an LED in parallel work?

In this arrangement, the transistor acts as a switch that controls the flow of current through the LED. When a voltage is applied to the base of the transistor, it allows current to flow from the collector to the emitter, powering the LED.

3. What are the advantages of using a transistor and an LED in parallel?

One advantage is that the transistor can control the amount of current flowing through the LED, allowing for precise brightness control. Additionally, if the LED burns out, the transistor will still function, preventing the entire circuit from failing.

4. Are there any risks associated with using a transistor and an LED in parallel?

There is a risk of overloading the circuit if the transistor is not properly sized to handle the amount of current passing through it. Additionally, if the LED fails, it may create a short circuit which could damage the transistor.

5. In what applications are transistors and LEDs in parallel commonly used?

This arrangement is commonly used in electronic circuits that require precise control of LED brightness, such as in LED displays, lighting systems, and audio amplifiers. They are also used in power supplies and motor control circuits.