What are the options for boundary conditions in ANSYS WB structural analysis?

In summary, the conversation discussed the different types of support that can be used for a simulation in ANSYS WB Mechanical. The speaker mentioned the option of using a static support on one end of the block, but also warned about potential singularities on the edges. They also suggested using kinematic constraints to prevent rigid body motion and achieve the most accurate results.
raunak(esmilo)
I am trying to perform a simple simulation in ANSYS WB Mechanical. Description is given below in image, thickness of the plate is 5 mm. Problem is I am unable to decide which type of support should I provide for this.

Attachments

• WS9.jpg
    WS9.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 645
Engineering news on Phys.org
Static support on one end - this will give propper reaction forces.
Note however that you migh get singularities on the edges of that face. That is normal hence you can ignore them.

Boundary conditions for this kind of problem are a bit of an art form, ideally you will want to "kinematically constrain" the block such that it can deform but not have any rigid body motion. Based on the forces being applied you have a few options I can think of:

1. Strive's solution: fix the nodes on one side of the block, apply 40 kN to the opposite side. This has the disadvantage of not allowing deformation in the x-direction along that face. This may be a problem depending on your desired analysis outcome.
  2. Possible alternative: apply the loads at the edges of the block and use no deformation constraints. This will result in "weak springs" being added to the model to prevent rigid body motion (http://xansys.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=86806); in theory you will still get a usable result.
  3. Preferred solution: constrain the block using kinematic principles. Assuming this is a 2-d analysis I would recommend defining a node in the center of the block and apply zero X and Y translation (prevents rigid body motion); also apply zero Y translation at a single node at the midpoint edge of the block. This will prevent rigid body motion (center node) and rotation (edge node), and should give you the most "idealized" response for the block (i.e. it will expand and deform as if floating in space with nothing holding it).

1. What is ANSYS WB Structural Analysis?

ANSYS WB Structural Analysis is a computer-aided engineering software that performs structural analysis and simulation of various mechanical and structural systems. It is widely used in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and construction to design and analyze complex structures.

2. What types of structural analysis can ANSYS WB perform?

ANSYS WB Structural Analysis can perform various types of analysis, including linear and non-linear static analysis, dynamic analysis, and fatigue analysis. It also offers capabilities for thermal, thermal-structural, and harmonic analysis.

3. What are the benefits of using ANSYS WB Structural Analysis?

Using ANSYS WB Structural Analysis can provide numerous benefits, such as accurate and reliable results, reduced design and development costs, improved product performance, and faster time-to-market. It also offers a user-friendly interface and advanced simulation capabilities.

4. Can ANSYS WB Structural Analysis handle large and complex models?

Yes, ANSYS WB Structural Analysis is designed to handle large and complex models with ease. It utilizes parallel processing and distributed solving techniques to efficiently solve large-scale problems. It also has robust meshing capabilities that can handle complex geometries.

5. Is ANSYS WB Structural Analysis suitable for all industries?

Yes, ANSYS WB Structural Analysis is widely used in various industries, including aerospace, automotive, construction, and consumer products. It can be customized and tailored to meet the specific needs of different industries, making it suitable for a wide range of applications.