What is the best master's degree?

In summary, the speaker has a bachelor's degree in engineering physics with a concentration in laser and optics. They are interested in pursuing a master's degree and working in a business company, but not in a research lab or university. They ask about the best choices for a master's degree with this background and the career opportunities available. They also inquire about the feasibility of enrolling in business programs without any prior background in the field. The speaker also mentions the importance of choosing a cooperative curriculum and the potential for job opportunities through their university.
sanam70
Hi,
I have my bachelor degree in engineering physics, laser and optics concentration. I want to enroll for master degree, and I want to have a job in business companies, not research lab or university. So what are the best choices for master (is it okay for universities to accept a student with EP bachelor degree for master of business or CS) ? and what are my career opportunities?
And is it logical to enroll Business programs (like business analytic or other business fields of study for master) without any background in business only with EP bachelor degree?
Thanks for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
sanam70 said:
Hi,
I have my bachelor degree in engineering physics, laser and optics concentration. I want to enroll for master degree, and I want to have a job in business companies, not research lab or university. So what are the best choices for master (is it okay for universities to accept a student with EP bachelor degree for master of business or CS) ? and what are my career opportunities?
And is it logical to enroll Business programs (like business analytic or other business fields of study for master) without any background in business only with EP bachelor degree?
Thanks for your help
You didn't mention that your bachelor curriculum was cooperative. You should have choosen a cooperative curriculum (which includes some paid work at the workplace) organised by the industry and mostly by the university. You don't mention what specific job or position you desire at your entrring the business compoany: nor how many years or months will pass before you again will radically change your plan of carreer. Either a salesman, a buyer, a director of staff, a counselor in investment, research& development, or else. Not many people have the EP bachelor degree and before the students complete it, some employers cantact the universuty to have an interview with them. Did you neglect this fonction of your university? You don't mention in what kind of business you want to work. You probably want to work in an office with single female staff; so get a job for Bell Telephone or another public service companies, and stop thinking MBA or MCommerce holders have better opprtunities and bigger salaries. You could read books then pass some exams, in order to prepare yourself for working as a junior assistant in an office of patents/inventions agents (who will tell you what to read and what foreign language to learn a bit).

1. What is the best master's degree for someone interested in a career in research?

The best master's degree for someone interested in a career in research would depend on their specific field of interest. Some popular options include a Master of Science (MS) in a specific scientific discipline such as biology, chemistry, or physics, or a Master of Arts (MA) in a social science field such as psychology, sociology, or economics. It is important to research and carefully consider the program curriculum and faculty expertise to determine which degree aligns best with your research interests.

2. Is it better to pursue a master's degree in a specialized area or a more general degree?

Again, this depends on your specific goals and interests. A specialized master's degree may provide more in-depth knowledge and training in a specific field, making you a more competitive candidate for certain jobs. On the other hand, a more general degree may provide a broader range of skills and knowledge that can be applied to a variety of careers. It is important to research the job market and speak with professionals in your field of interest to determine which option would be most beneficial for your career goals.

3. How important is the reputation of the university when choosing a master's degree program?

The reputation of the university can be important in certain fields, particularly in academia and research. A degree from a well-respected and prestigious university can carry weight and open doors for job opportunities. However, it is not the only factor to consider when choosing a master's degree program. It is important to also consider the program curriculum, faculty expertise, and research opportunities available at the university.

4. What is the average length of time it takes to complete a master's degree?

The average length of time to complete a master's degree is typically 1-2 years, although this can vary depending on the program and whether or not you are attending full-time or part-time. Some programs may also offer an accelerated option for students who want to complete their degree in a shorter amount of time. It is important to carefully consider your personal circumstances and academic goals when deciding on the length of your program.

5. Are there any online options for obtaining a master's degree in science?

Yes, there are several reputable universities that offer online master's degree programs in science fields. These programs may be a good option for those who need flexibility in their schedule or are unable to attend a traditional on-campus program. However, it is important to carefully research the program and ensure it is accredited and reputable before enrolling.