Solve Skid's Friction Problem - Calculate Coefficient

• Thread starter sweetdaisy186
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, the question involves Skid driving his car at 80 mi/hr and then realizing he is about to crash into a wall while reading. He applies the brakes when he is 100 m away from the wall and needs to calculate the coefficient of friction needed to stop before hitting the wall. The type of friction involved is kinetic friction. The speaker also mentions using the force equation and Newton's 2nd Law, and canceling out the mass to get the correct answer. They also discuss the difference between static and kinetic friction and how locking the brakes can lead to kinetic friction.
sweetdaisy186
Hey guys! I think I have half of the question figured out

The question:

Skid is driving his car at 80 mi/hr. While reading the Springfield Reivedw of Books, he looks up and notices he is about to crash into a wall. When he is 100 m from the wall, he puts on the brakes. If Skid does not lock his brakes, calculate the coefficient of friction he needs so that he stops just before he hits the wall. What type of friction does he use?

My work:

I know that this involves kinetic friction. I thought I should calculate acceleration so that I can use the force equation.

I used the V^2 = V0^2 + 2a*delta X

I got an acceleration of 0.8. In order to use the SumFx = m*a equation, don't I need a mass so that I can somehow solve for the kinetic friction?

Physics news on Phys.org
sweetdaisy186 said:
Hey guys! I think I have half of the question figured out

The question:

Skid is driving his car at 80 mi/hr. While reading the Springfield Reivedw of Books, he looks up and notices he is about to crash into a wall. When he is 100 m from the wall, he puts on the brakes. If Skid does not lock his brakes, calculate the coefficient of friction he needs so that he stops just before he hits the wall. What type of friction does he use?

My work:

I know that this involves kinetic friction. I thought I should calculate acceleration so that I can use the force equation.

I used the V^2 = V0^2 + 2a*delta X

I got an acceleration of 0.8. In order to use the SumFx = m*a equation, don't I need a mass so that I can somehow solve for the kinetic friction?

Just write down the equation with Newton's 2nd Law. You'll notice the mass will cancel out.

Hey!

I got my masses to cancel out, but I didn't get the right answer. I can't figure out what I did wrong. Here's my work it. :smile:

Attachments

• question 1.jpg
    question 1.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 564
Convert 80 miles/hour to m/s!

Also: If he doesn't lock the brakes, the tires won't slip. What kind of friction is that? (Locking the brakes will cause you to skid.)

omg, I can't believe I didn't catch that. Thanks!

Wouldn't it be kinetic friction if he didn't lock his breaks?

sweetdaisy186 said:
Wouldn't it be kinetic friction if he didn't lock his breaks?
No, just the opposite. Not locking the brakes means that the tires continue to roll without slipping--which means static friction. When you jam on the brakes, locking them (at least in the pre-ABS days) the wheels scrape along the ground instead of roll--that's when you get those cool skid marks, and kinetic friction applies. (And since under most conditions kinetic friction is less than static friction--giving you less control of the car--locking the brakes is a bad thing.)

OH! I see waht you mean, thanks!

1. What is Skid's Friction Problem?

Skid's Friction Problem refers to the issue of a vehicle or object losing traction and sliding when in motion due to a lack of friction between the surface and the object's wheels or base.

2. Why is it important to calculate the coefficient of friction?

Calculating the coefficient of friction is important because it helps determine the amount of friction present between two surfaces. This information is crucial for understanding how much force is needed to keep an object in motion or to stop it from sliding.

3. How is the coefficient of friction calculated?

The coefficient of friction is calculated by dividing the force of friction by the normal force. The force of friction is determined by multiplying the coefficient of friction by the normal force.

4. What factors can affect the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be affected by several factors such as the texture and type of surface, the weight of the object, and the amount of force applied. Other factors can include temperature, humidity, and the presence of any lubricants or contaminants on the surface.

5. How can the coefficient of friction be improved?

The coefficient of friction can be improved by increasing the weight of the object, using materials with higher coefficients of friction, or by altering the surface texture to increase friction. Additionally, keeping surfaces clean and free of contaminants can also improve the coefficient of friction.