What is the Inequality for the Heat Equation?

In summary, the conversation discusses using integration and the heat equation to prove an inequality involving the solution of the heat equation. The speaker is unsure of how to proceed after obtaining an equation and asks for guidance. The expert suggests integrating over x and shows that the equation can be simplified. It is then concluded that the integral is decreasing and therefore the solution to the heat equation with a boundary condition is unique.
mmmboh
29dtmrd.jpg

So I multiplied the heat equation by 2u, and put the substitution into the heat equation, and get 2uut-2uuxx=(u2)t=2(uux)x+2(ux)2.

I`m not sure where to go from there, I can integrate with respect to t, then I would have a u2 under the integral on the left side, but them I`m not sure where to go.

I also tried using the fact that the solution to the heat equation is
2eat5kg.jpg

And I said that the integral was less than
[tex] \int_{-infinity}^{infinity} \ f(y)dy[/tex]

and then I squared both sides, and said that the integral squared was less than the square of the integral. Then I integrated both sides with respect to x, but the problem is now, I have a double integral on the right side :S.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the idea is to derive a differential equation for the integral of u^2 w.r.t x from 0 to 1.

:cry: How do I do that?

To start with, use the hint and integrate over x from 0 to 1 and what do you get?

I think the idea is to show that:

[tex]
\int_{0}^{1}u^{2}(t,x)dx
[/tex]

is a decreasing function and so it will always be less than or equal to it's initial value, and so you get the inequality you are asked to prove.

[tex]
\int_{0}^{1} \ (u^{2})_{t}dx = 2uu_{x}(1,t)-2uu_{x}(0,t)-2
\int_{0}^{1} \ (u_{x})^{2}dx
[/tex]

This is what I get.

Last edited:
Riiiight, I got the following equation:

[tex]
\frac{\partial}{\partial t}u^{2}=2\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left( u\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\right) -2\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\right)^{2}
[/tex]

Integrate this w.r.t. x from 0 to 1 and what do you get?

I fixed my equation, any way that`s what I get, but I don`t see what to do with it.

Do as I said and integrate to obtain:

[tex]
\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\int_{0}^{1}u^{2}dx=2\left[ u(t,x)\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}(t,x)\right]_{0}^{1}-2\int_{0}^{1}\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\right)^{2}dx
[/tex]

Now the stuff in the square brackets vanishes (why?). So what can't we say about:

[tex]
\int_{0}^{1}u^{2}dx
[/tex]

? My equation is the same as yours, I just used subscript notation. If the stuff in the square brackets vanishes, then as you change t, [tex]

\int_{0}^{1}u^{2}dx

[/tex] decreases, so it will be smaller than [tex]

\int_{0}^{1}f(x)^{2}dx

[/tex]

since this is when t=0. Is that right?

Edit: The term in the square brackets vanishes because u(1,t)=u(0,t)=0.

So what would the uniqueness theorem be then? It`s always decreasing with respect to t, and u(x,t)=f(x) only once? I`m not sure.

We're told that in the question, u(t,0)=u(t,1)=0.

Finally, you have the solution, but formally, i would say that:

[tex]
\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\int_{0}^{1}u^{2}dx=-2\int_{0}^{1}\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\right)^{2}dx\leqslant 0
[/tex]

as the quantity in the integrand in postive, so the integral will be positive which shows that the quantity we spoke about is clearly decreasing.

Thank you. You have been a great help. What do you think of my uniqueness theorem though? It does not seem like much of a theorem.

Edit: I guess it means that since the integral is decreasing, the solution to the heat equation with a boundary condition is unique...

I edited my post.

The usual way for uniqueness theorems is to assume that there are two solutions u_1 and u_2 and examine the quantity w=u_1-u_2 and show that the only possible case is w=0.

1. What is the heat equation inequality?

The heat equation inequality is a mathematical equation that describes the flow of heat in a given system. It is a partial differential equation that relates the distribution of heat in a given space to its rate of change over time.

2. How is the heat equation inequality used in science?

The heat equation inequality is used in many scientific fields, particularly in thermodynamics and heat transfer. It is used to model and analyze heat transfer in various systems, such as in materials, fluids, and the Earth's atmosphere.

3. What factors affect the solution of the heat equation inequality?

The solution of the heat equation inequality is affected by several factors, including the initial conditions of the system, the boundary conditions, and the material properties of the system. Other external factors, such as temperature gradients and the presence of external heat sources or sinks, can also influence the solution.

4. What are the applications of the heat equation inequality?

The heat equation inequality has many practical applications, including predicting and controlling heat transfer in engineering designs, studying the Earth's climate system, and analyzing the thermal behavior of materials in various industries, such as electronics and construction.

5. How is the heat equation inequality related to other mathematical equations?

The heat equation inequality is closely related to other mathematical equations, such as the wave equation and the diffusion equation. In fact, the heat equation inequality can be derived from the diffusion equation by considering the transfer of thermal energy instead of mass or concentration. It is also a special case of the more general parabolic partial differential equation.