Square root of an imaginary number

In summary, the square roots of 3i are not on the imaginary number axis, but they do have a nice geometric property.
Ry122
Where on the imaginary number axis do i graph sqrt(3i)? At sqrt3?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, Ry!
Think in terms of the modulus and the angle that complex numer makes with the real axis.

When you multiply two complex numbers, the resultant number's modulus is the product of the factors' moduli, and its angle the SUM of the the factors' angles to the real axis.

Ry122 said:
Where on the imaginary number axis do i graph sqrt(3i)? At sqrt3?

(btw, if you type alt-v, it prints √)

No - that would be (√3)i.

You want (√3)(√i) … though that's not on the imaginary axis.

So your radius is correct, but your modulus (angle) isn't. :smile:

Last edited:
Since you say "on the imaginary axis", I assume you mean at [/itex]i\sqrt{3}[/itex], rather than "at [itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex]". No, neither of those is correct since neither of those is the squareroot of 3i: [itex]\sqrt{3}^2= 3[/itex] and [itex](i\sqrt{3})^2= -3[/itex] not 3i.

The square roots (there are, of course, two of them) of 3i is not on the imaginary axis. Square roots, in the complex plane, have a nice geometric property. Are you familiar with de'Moivre's formula? If you write a complex number in polar form, as [itex]r (cos(\theta)+ isin(\thet))[/itex] or, in exponential form, [itex]r e^{i\theta}[/itex], then the nth power is [itex]r^n(cos(n\theta)+ i sin(n\theta))/[/itex]. That also holds for fractional powers: the nth root is just that with "n" replaced by "1/n".

In particular, the square root of [itex]r(cos(\theta)+ i sin(\theta))[/itex] is [itex]\sqrt{r}(cos(\theta/2)+ i sin(\theta)/2[/itex].

3i lies on the positive imaginary axis, at right angles to the positive real axis, at distance 3 from 0: r= 3, [itex]\theta= \pi/2[/itex]. One of its square roots has [itex]r= \sqrt{3}[/itex] and [itex]\theta= \pi/4[/itex]. Since increasing [itex]theta[/itex] by [itex]2\pi[/itex] just takes us back to the same point, we can also let [itex]\theta= \pi/2+ 2\pi= 5\pi/2[/itex] and get [itex]5\pi/4[/itex] for the other square root of 3i.

That's the geometric property I mentioned: the two square roots of 3i lie on the line at [itex]\pi/4[/itex] radians or 45 degrees to the positive real axis, at distance [itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex] from 0, 1 in the first quadrant and the other in the third quadrant.

It is even more interesting for higher roots. You might want to look at
[urlhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_of_unity[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the square root of an imaginary number?

The square root of an imaginary number is any number that, when squared, results in the original imaginary number. For example, the square root of -1 is i, since i squared equals -1.

2. Can the square root of an imaginary number be a real number?

No, the square root of an imaginary number will always be another imaginary number. This is because when a real number is squared, the result is always a positive number, and an imaginary number is defined as a number multiplied by i, which is equal to -1.

3. How do you find the square root of an imaginary number?

To find the square root of an imaginary number, you can use the formula a + bi, where a and b are real numbers, and i is the imaginary unit. The square root of this imaginary number would be c + di, where c and d are also real numbers. You can solve for c and d by using the quadratic formula.

4. Can you have a negative square root of an imaginary number?

Yes, you can have a negative square root of an imaginary number. For example, the square root of -4 is 2i, since 2i squared equals -4. However, it's important to note that when taking the square root of an imaginary number, the output will always be a complex number.

5. What is the significance of the square root of an imaginary number in mathematics?

The square root of an imaginary number is significant in mathematics because it allows for the representation and manipulation of complex numbers. Complex numbers are used in many areas of mathematics, including engineering, physics, and economics, making the square root of an imaginary number a crucial concept in these fields.