Momentum, what velocity do i use?

In summary, when evaluating the momentum of a cart that was hit while stationary, you should use the velocity at the point of collision. You can also use the equation p=mv to calculate momentum by multiplying the mass and velocity of the object. However, since the cart was hit while stationary, its velocity was zero and therefore its momentum was also zero. Bonus points can be earned by describing the deceleration of the cart with an appropriate function and comparing it with the experimental results. Good luck!
eulo0

Homework Statement

I have done a cart experiment, were 1 cart collides with another that is stationary in a straight line. i have videotaped my experiment and used logger pro to evaluate my findings. it gives me different velocity's, in each time frame. which velocity do i use to work out the momentum?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i used the equation d=1/2(u+v)t

Physics news on Phys.org
You simply use the velocity at the point of incident ie at the collision point. Normally in physics you might be expected to deduce the velocity from a function that describes the movement of the rolling cart. You don't need to do this because you have the raw data. Bonus points, though for describing the deceleration of the trolley with an appropriate function and then comparing function with your results. Good luck

thank you

which velocity do i use to work out how much momentum the cart getting hit has if its starts staionary

Momentum is what an object possesses only when it is moving. The equation p=mv states that momentum (p) is equal to mass (m) times velocity (v). Momentum is used as a means to define an object by it's mass and speed. Since your cart was hit whilst stationary it's speed was zero therefore it's momentum was zero.

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a physics concept that describes the amount of motion an object has. It is the product of an object's mass and its velocity.

2. How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass (m) by its velocity (v). The formula for momentum is p = m * v.

3. What units are used to measure momentum?

The SI unit for momentum is kilogram meters per second (kg*m/s). However, other units such as gram centimeters per second (g*cm/s) or pound feet per second (lb*ft/s) may also be used.

4. Is momentum a vector or scalar quantity?

Momentum is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. The direction of an object's momentum is the same as its velocity.

5. What velocity do I use when calculating momentum?

The velocity used to calculate momentum is the velocity of the moving object. This can be the object's initial velocity, final velocity, or an average velocity over a period of time, as long as it is consistent with the rest of the information given in the problem.