Really complicated solve for x problem

• Thread starter phys-lexic
  • Start date
In summary, the equation can be simplified using trig-substitution when not integrating, but it can become complicated very quickly if not done correctly.
phys-lexic
really complicated "solve for x" problem.. please help..

Homework Statement

[This is the final step in a "critical thinking" problem assigned as extra practice/intense application] Find the value of x, for the given equation, when f(x) = [tex]\frac{49}{6}[/tex][tex]\pi[/tex]

f(x) = [tex]\left(x\right)[/tex][tex]\times[/tex][tex]\sqrt{49-x^2}[/tex] + 49sin[tex]^{-1}[/tex][tex]\left(\frac{x}{7}\right)[/tex]

Homework Equations

(This is where I need help, I have tried moving around the values, sqaring both sides, applying e and ln; my T.A. could only think of plugging f(x) into a graphing calculator and tracing to y = [tex]\frac{49}{6}[/tex][tex]\pi[/tex])
*A big question I have is if trig-substitution (aside from integration) can be used, or another method I am not "equipped with," with simplifications.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what is left after integrating a problem, the answer should be ~1.85 (from graphing/tracing). I tried simplifying using regular relationships:

sin[tex]^{-1}[/tex][tex]\left(\frac{x}{7}\right)[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1}{6}\pi[/tex] - [tex]\left(x\sqrt{49-x^2}\right)\div49[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org

You're not going to be able to solve this by algebraic means. The simplest approach is to graph the function and see what value of x gives a y value of 49pi/6.

Hi phys-lexic! :wink:

Try the obvious substitution. :smile:

I understand algebraic means won't help, which is why I'm posting this question.

Trig-substitution is what I was thinking, but is that applicable when not integrating? (We were only introduced to trig-substitutions with integrals, for obvious reasons)

phys-lexic said:
Trig-substitution is what I was thinking, but is that applicable when not integrating?

Yes! You can always substitute, if you think it will make the problem easier. :smile:

Would be a lot simpler if there was only a way to make that first term go to zero...

If f(x)=y, substitute Sqrt[a^2-x^2]=dy/dx, then it reduces to the standard form dy/dx +Py=Q

Aah.. I tried it out a few times and ended up going in circles. Thankyou anyways everyone, now I know why this question is "way harder than the exam would be."

1. How do I even begin to solve this complicated problem for x?

To solve a complicated problem for x, it is important to first understand the problem and break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Then, utilize any relevant equations or formulas to solve for x. It may also be helpful to work backwards and check your work to ensure your solution is correct.

2. What should I do if I get stuck on a step while trying to solve for x?

If you get stuck on a step, try taking a break and coming back to the problem with a fresh perspective. You can also try looking for similar examples online or seeking help from a teacher or peers. Sometimes, approaching the problem from a different angle can help you find a solution.

3. Is there a specific method or strategy for solving complicated problems for x?

There are many different strategies for solving complicated problems for x. Some common approaches include using algebraic manipulation, substitution, or graphing. It is important to find a method that works best for you and the specific problem you are trying to solve.

4. How can I check if my solution for x is correct?

To check if your solution for x is correct, you can plug your value of x back into the original problem and see if it satisfies the given conditions. You can also use a calculator or online tool to verify your answer. If your solution is incorrect, try going back through your steps and checking for any errors.

5. What should I do if I cannot solve the problem for x?

If you are unable to solve a complicated problem for x, do not get discouraged. It may be helpful to seek assistance from a teacher or tutor, or try breaking the problem down into smaller parts. Remember that practice and perseverance are key to solving complex problems.