How Far Should a 100kg Mass Be Placed from Point A to Keep a Rod Horizontal?

• Thread starter shalikadm
  • Start date
In summary, the light rod is hung by two wires having the same length of 2m, but with different cross sectional areas. The wire having the cross sectional area of 1mm2 gets an increment of 2mm in length due to a temperature increment, but the other wire remains the same. A mass of 100kg is meant to be put on the rod to keep it horizontal, but due to the temperature increase, one wire is longer than the other. To solve this problem, you need to apply the Young's modulus equation to those lengths, take moment around the center of the 100kg's gravity, and solve for A, B, and C.
shalikadm
20p55oh.jpg

A light rod is hung by two wires having same length of 2m and the same young's modulus of 8[itex]\times[/itex]1011Pa,but having different cross sectional areas of 1mm2 and 2mm2.
The wire having the cross sectional area of 1mm2,gets an increment of 2mm in length because of a temperature increment.But the other wire remains same..
A mass of 100kg is meant to be put on the rod to keep the rod horizontal..How much distance has it to be on the rod from point A...?

PLEASE SOLVE THIS CITING REASONS...thanks !

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi shalikadm! welcome to pf! :wink:

show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

Several things

i want to know what the necessity that is to be fulfilled in order to keep it horizontally.
whether it is to have same extension(e) for the two wires
or to have the same total length(l+e) for both of the wires...
or to fulfill e1mm2+2mm=e2mm2
want to know whether to get the original length(l) of the 1mm2 wire as 2m or 2m+2mm

Y=[itex]\frac{Fl}{Ae}[/itex]

please help me...

after the temperature increment, one wire is longer

apply the young's modulus equation to those lengths :smile:

(of course, you need to extend both wires, to make them the same length)

is it like this ?

[itex]\downarrow[/itex]
for the 1mm2wire,
Y=[itex]\frac{T1*2.002}{1*10^-6*e1}[/itex][itex]\Rightarrow[/itex]1

for the 2mm2wire,
Y=[itex]\frac{T2*2}{2*10^-6*e2}[/itex][itex]\Rightarrow[/itex]2

hence 1=2 ,
[itex]\frac{T1*2.002}{1*10^-6*e1}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{T2*2}{2*10^-6*e2}[/itex][itex]\Rightarrow[/itex]A

also,
T1+T2=1000[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex]B

and also ,
taking moment around the center of 100kg's gravity[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex]C

and then solving the A,B,C equations ?
is that right ?

yes, but you'll also need an equation relating e1 and e2 :smile:

(btw, please don't make the latex equations larger …

it's not necessary …

each reader can permanently adjust equation size by right-clicking on any equation and choosing "Scale All Math" :wink:)​

how can i get a equation relating e1 and e2 ?
sorry for larger Latex...:smile:

shalikadm said:
how can i get a equation relating e1 and e2 ?

it'll be the equation saying the two wires are the same length :smile:

Is it this ?(i have no idea)
e1mm2+2mm=e2mm2

shalikadm said:
Is it this ?(i have no idea)
e1mm2+2mm=e2mm2

yes, so it's the same total length for both wires :smile:

hope this help me...thanks a lot...!

1. What is elasticity?

Elasticity is a measure of how much a material can stretch or deform when a force is applied to it. It is a property of materials that describes their ability to return to their original shape after being stretched or compressed.

2. How is elasticity measured?

Elasticity is typically measured using the concept of Young's modulus, which is the ratio of stress (force per unit area) to strain (change in length per unit length) of a material. This value is specific to each material and can be experimentally determined.

3. What are some examples of materials with high elasticity?

Rubber, latex, and steel are all examples of materials with high elasticity. These materials can stretch significantly when a force is applied and then return to their original shape once the force is removed.

4. How is elasticity important in everyday life?

Elasticity is important in everyday life because it allows materials to withstand and recover from external forces. For example, the elasticity of rubber allows it to be used in tires, which must withstand the weight of a car and the force of the road while still maintaining their shape.

5. What factors affect the elasticity of a material?

The elasticity of a material can be affected by factors such as its chemical composition, temperature, and how it has been treated or processed. For example, heating a metal can reduce its elasticity, while adding certain chemicals can increase it.