Error Propagation - multiplication vs powers

In summary, the standard formula for error propagation involves taking the partial derivatives of the function with respect to each independent variable and multiplying them by the corresponding error and then taking the square root of the sum. However, this formula assumes that the variables are independent. When the variables are dependent, the formula must be adjusted accordingly. In the case where f = x^2 and f = x \cdot x, the error of x^2 is equal to \sqrt{2} times the error of x \cdot x because the latter involves two independent errors while the former only has one. This can be seen by plugging in the values for the partial derivatives and errors into the formula.
Caspian
Ok, this isn't a homework question -- more out of curiosity. But it seems so trivial that I hate to post it under "General Physics"

We all know the standard formula for error propagation:
[tex]\sigma_f = \sqrt{\dfrac{\partial f}{\partial x}^2 \sigma_x^2 + \dfrac{\partial f}{\partial y}^2 \sigma_y^2[/tex]

Now, let [tex]f = x^2[/tex]. We get [tex]\sigma_f = \sqrt{(2x)^2 \sigma_x^2}[/tex]

Now, let [tex]f = x \cdot x[/tex]. We get [tex]\sigma_f = \sqrt{x^2 \sigma_x^2 + x^2 \sigma_x^2} = \sqrt{2 x^2 \sigma_x^2}[/tex].

This says that the error of [tex]x \cdot x[/tex] equals [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] times the error of [tex]x^2[/tex]!

I'm baffled at this... does anyone know why this is true? I've never seen a derivation of the standard error propagation formula... does the derivation assume that the two variables are not equal? (btw, If someone knows where to find the derivation to the formula, I would be very happy to see it)

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\sigma_f = \sqrt{(\dfrac{\partial f}{\partial x})^2 \sigma_x^2 + (\dfrac{\partial f}{\partial y})^2 \sigma_y^2[/tex]

But f(x) = x2 = x[itex] \cdot [/itex]x, and they are the same variable.

Propogation of errors applies to error of independent variables, x1, x2, . . . , xn or x, y, z, . . .

f'(x[itex] \cdot [/itex]x) = x + x = 2x

Last edited:
Yeah, I messed up in my LaTeX, and forgot to put parenthesis, but I did square the function after taking the partial derivative. So, that's not where I've gone wrong here. There's got to be something else going on here... does the derivation behind the formula for error propagation assume that the two values are not equal?

If one had f(x, y, z), with x, y, z being independent, then the propagation of error would be

[tex]\sigma_f = \sqrt{(\dfrac{\partial f}{\partial x})^2 \sigma_x^2 + (\dfrac{\partial f}{\partial y})^2 \sigma_y^2 + (\dfrac{\partial f}{\partial z})^2 \sigma_z^2}[/tex]

Sorry, I left out intermediate steps in my original post... let me provide more detail.

let [tex]f(x) = x^2[/tex]. So, [tex]\dfrac{\partial f}{\partial x} = 2x[/tex]

Thus, [tex]\sigma_f = \sqrt{(2x)^2 \sigma_x^2}[/tex].

Now, let [tex]g(x,y) = x \ctimes y[/tex]. So, [tex]\dfrac{\partial g}{\partial x} = y[/tex] and [tex]\dfrac{\partial g}{\partial y} = x[/tex].

Thus, [tex]\sigma_g = \sqrt{x^2 \sigma_y^2 + y^2 \sigma_x^2}[/tex]

Now, let x = y. This means that f = g. But [tex]\sigma_g = \sqrt{x^2 \sigma_x^2 + x^2 \sigma_x^2} = \sqrt{2 x^2 \sigma_x^2}[/tex].

So, f = g, but [tex]\sigma_f = \sqrt{(2x)^2 \sigma_x^2}[/tex] and [tex]\sigma_g = \sqrt{2 x^2 \sigma_x^2}[/tex] (the two are differ by a factor of [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]).

Why is this?

Last edited:
In one case, one has one error [itex]\sigma_x[/itex], and in the other case, two independent errors [itex]\sigma_x[/itex], [itex]\sigma_y[/itex], the dependence of f on x and y is the same.

See also - http://sosnick.uchicago.edu/propagation_errors.pdf

I think there is a better discussion of propagation of error, but I just have to find it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,maybe I am too late but I just saw it. In the second case you are assuming that the error of x is independent of the error of y. This is not true when you say y=x and that is where the error is. You are assuming that what happens to y is not happening to x and that's not true for x*x.

Yes, you must be very careful with dependent variables.

If f(A, r) = A/r, then sigma-f = Sqrt[(1/r)^2 (sigma-A)^2 + (A/r^2)^2 (sigma-r)^2].

If A = pi r^2, then sigma-A = 2 pi r sigma-r.

This would lead to sigma-f = Sqrt[(2 pi sigma r)^2 + (pi sigma-r)^2] = Sqrt[5] pi sigma-r.

But if A = pi r^2, f must be simplified before propagating errors.

f = A/r = pi r, so sigma-f = pi sigma-r

1. What is error propagation in multiplication and powers?

Error propagation in multiplication and powers is the process of calculating the uncertainty or error in the result of a mathematical operation involving multiplication or powers. It involves considering the uncertainty in each of the input values and propagating it through the calculation to determine the overall uncertainty in the final result.

2. How is error propagation different for multiplication and powers?

The main difference in error propagation for multiplication and powers is the way in which the uncertainties are combined. In multiplication, the relative uncertainties of each input value are added together, while in powers, the relative uncertainties are multiplied together. This means that the overall uncertainty will be greater for powers than for multiplication.

3. What are some common sources of error in multiplication and powers calculations?

Some common sources of error in multiplication and powers calculations include measurement errors, rounding errors, and approximations. Additionally, if any of the input values have uncertainties associated with them, they can also contribute to the overall error in the final result.

4. How can error propagation be minimized in multiplication and powers calculations?

To minimize error propagation in multiplication and powers calculations, it is important to use accurate and precise measurements for the input values. Additionally, using more decimal places in calculations and avoiding rounding until the final result can also help reduce errors. It is also important to properly consider and account for any uncertainties associated with the input values.

5. Can error propagation be avoided in multiplication and powers calculations?

No, error propagation is an unavoidable aspect of mathematical calculations involving multiplication and powers. However, by using appropriate methods and techniques, the magnitude of the error can be minimized and controlled to a certain extent.