Projectile Physics Problem: Understanding Rock's Horizontal Flight Time

In summary, the problem involves a rock being kicked horizontally at 15 m/s from a 45 deg slope and the question is how long it takes for the rock to hit the ground. The book gives the answer as 5.1 sec, but the person asking for help has calculated it to be 3.2 sec using the equation y = -1/2gt^2. They are wondering if they have made a mistake or if the book is wrong.
physucsc11
Got stuck on this problem, would appreciate some help.

Problem: A rock is kicked horizontally at 15 m/s from a hill with a 45 deg slope.
How long does it take for the rock to hit the ground?

The book gives the answer in the back as 5.1 sec but I don't understand how
it gets this answer.

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is a hint:
Let's name the horizontal variable x and the vertical variable y.
Your hill is described by an equation of the form f(x) = -x.
Your rock's path is given by a parabola, which you should be able to calculate using the initial conditions you gave (x=y=0 initially, vy = 0, vx = 15 m/s). Let's call this trajectory g(x).
Now you can find the point at which the rock will hit the hill by equating f(x)=g(x). This will let you know far down the rock "fell" (remember, its motion in the y-direction is independent of its motion in the x-direction. It is merely a free fall). Knowing how far something falls, you can calculate the time it takes it to fall.

If you get stuck get come back & ask again :).

------
Assaf
http://www.physicallyincorrect.com/"

Last edited by a moderator:
That's basically what I was doing. I realized that since it is a 45 deg angle the rock will travel the same distance vertically as horizontally before it hits the ground, so I used the equation y = -1/2gt^2 and plugged in d = vx*t for y. So I got vx*t = -1/2gt^2 , and solving for t I get t = (2vx +- sq.root( (2vx)^2))/2g). So the answer turns out to be 3.2 sec. However, the book gives 5.1 sec. Am I doing something wrong or is the book wrong?

So can anyone help?

1. What is a projectile?

A projectile is any object that is thrown or launched into the air and moves under the influence of gravity. Examples of projectiles include a ball thrown into the air, a bullet fired from a gun, or a rocket launched into space.

2. What are the key principles of projectile physics?

The key principles of projectile physics include the law of inertia, which states that an object in motion will remain in motion unless acted upon by an external force, and the law of gravity, which states that objects will fall towards the ground at a constant rate due to the force of gravity. Other important principles include horizontal and vertical motion, velocity, and trajectory.

3. How do I calculate the trajectory of a projectile?

To calculate the trajectory of a projectile, you will need to know the initial velocity of the object, the angle at which it is launched, and the force of gravity. You can use the equations of motion to calculate the horizontal and vertical components of the projectile's velocity, and then use those values to determine the overall trajectory.

4. What factors affect the motion of a projectile?

The motion of a projectile is affected by several factors, including the initial velocity, the angle of launch, the force of gravity, and air resistance. The mass and shape of the projectile can also play a role in its motion. Additionally, external forces such as wind or air resistance can also affect the trajectory of a projectile.

5. How is projectile physics used in real life?

Projectile physics is used in a variety of real-life applications, such as designing and launching rockets and missiles, calculating the trajectory of a sports ball, and understanding the motion of objects in space. It is also used in fields such as engineering, architecture, and ballistics to predict the behavior of objects and structures under the influence of gravity.