Finding Moments for Elliptical Region

• Thread starter City88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moments
In summary, the problem is to find the moments Mx and My for a region bounded by an ellipse. The region is defined by the equation (x-2)^2/16 + (y-4)^2/36 = 1. The bounds for the integrals are -2 ≤ y ≤ 10 and -2 ≤ x ≤ 6. However, since these boundaries describe a rectangle rather than an ellipse, the bounds of the integrals need to be written as functions in terms of y and x. This can be done using polar coordinates, where x=4rcos(theta) + 2 and y=6rsin(theta) + 4.
City88

Homework Statement

I'm not sure how to go about finding the following moments:

[tex]
M_{x}= \int \int\ [/tex] y dx dy
[tex]
M_{y}= \int \int\ [/tex] x dx dy

Where the region is bounded by the ellipse:
[tex]\frac{(x-2)^2}{16}} + \frac{(y-4)^2}{36}}[/tex] = 1

Homework Equations

Listed above...

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew the ellipse and found the bounds to be
-2 [tex]\leq y[/tex] [tex]\leq10[/tex]
-2 [tex]\leq x[/tex] [tex]\leq 6[/tex]

Then I tried integrating with those bounds, but I can't seem to get the right answers. Any help/hints would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Those boundaries describe a rectangle, not an ellipse. Do you see why?

Ooohh yes, you're right.

So does this mean that I have to find the bounds of my integral as functions?
Would I have to find the equation of the ellipse in terms of y, and make that my bounds for the y-integral. and then keep the x integral as numbers?

like D = {(x,y)| [tex]a \leq x \leq b, g_{1}\leq y \leq g_{2} [/tex]}

Yes that's what you would do. This problem may be easier in polar coordinates.

Actually I just found out that I might have to use polar coordinates.
But since the region is not a circle, but an ellipse, how would I be able to write my x and y in polar coordinate form?
Normally we have x=rcos(theta), and y=rsin(theta) for a circle.

would it be...
x=4rcos(theta) + 2
y=6rsin(theta) + 4

Last edited:

1. What is an elliptical region?

An elliptical region is a two-dimensional shape that is defined by an ellipse, which is a closed curve that is symmetrical around two perpendicular axes. It is similar to a circle, but has a longer and shorter radius.

2. Why is it important to find moments for an elliptical region?

Finding moments for an elliptical region is important because it allows us to calculate the center of mass, the area, and the inertia of the region. These parameters are crucial in many scientific and engineering applications, such as designing structures and analyzing the motion of objects.

3. How do you find moments for an elliptical region?

To find moments for an elliptical region, we use the formula for the moment of inertia, which is the double integral of the distance from the axis of rotation to each point in the region squared, multiplied by the density of the material. This integral can be evaluated using calculus or numerical methods.

4. Can moments be negative for an elliptical region?

Yes, moments can be negative for an elliptical region. This occurs when the density of the material is not evenly distributed throughout the region, leading to a negative moment of inertia. This can also happen when the axis of rotation is located within the region or outside of it.

5. How are moments for an elliptical region used in real-world applications?

Moments for an elliptical region are used in real-world applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. For example, they are used in designing bridges and buildings to ensure they can withstand forces, in studying the motion of celestial bodies, and in analyzing the stability of rotating objects, such as gyroscope.