Deriving Trig Formulas: Solving Problem with Sin and Cos Identities

In summary, to derive the trigonometric formula sin^2 x + cos^2 x = 1, one can use the identities sin(-x) = -sinx, cos(-x) = cos(x), cos(x+y) = cosxcosy - sinxsiny, and sin(x+y) = sinxcosy + cosxsiny. However, these identities are not enough to prove the formula and one must also assume that cos(x) is not equal to 0 for some value of x. By using the Pythagorean Theorem on the unit circle, one can prove that sin^2 x + cos^2 x = 1.
Craig is Lege
hello. i need help deriving trig formulas.

the first problem i most derive is

51. sin^2 x + cos^2 x = 1

i can use these identities:

a. sin(-x) = -sinx
b. cos(-x) = cos(x)
c. cos(x+y) = cosxcosy - sinxsiny
d. sin(x+y) = sinxcosy + cosxsiny

thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
hello. i need help deriving trig formulas.

the first problem i most derive is

51. sin^2 x + cos^2 x = 1

i can use these identities:

a. sin(-x) = -sinx
b. cos(-x) = cos(x)
c. cos(x+y) = cosxcosy - sinxsiny
d. sin(x+y) = sinxcosy + cosxsiny

thanks for any help

i think i posted in the wrong area...sorry...my bad

well, the identity

[tex] sin^2x+cos^2x=1[/tex] is the fundamental identity in trig. It can be derived directly from the unit trig circle.

So, what u basically do is this. You draw the oriented trig. circle, which means that your radius is 1. then your sinx will lay on the vertical line ( along the y-axis, if you place the trig circle in the origin of the coordinate system) and your cosx will lie along the x-axis.

Now you need to use pythagorean theorem, so you'll have :[tex] x^2+y^2=1[/tex] but remember that x is actually the sin and y cos. and radius is 1.

Try starting with cos(x + -x)

Look at your equation C. What happens when you set y = -x?

It's ok, at least you know now.

I don't actually believe its possible to derive that equation 51 from those listed identities. It's much easier to derive using the definition of the trig functions on the unit circle anyway - much more fundamental. Identities a and b are quite basic and don't exactly help, and c & d are more complex identities than eqn 51 itself.

There is indeed some unclarity about what one is supposed to use in the proof. If we define two functions, both identically zero, [tex]f_1=0[/tex] and [tex]f_2=0[/tex], then these functions satisfy the properties

[tex]
f_1(-x)=-f_1(x)
[/tex]

[tex]
f_2(-x) = f_2(x)
[/tex]

[tex]
f_2(x + y) = f_2(x)f_2(y) - f_1(x)f_1(y)
[/tex]

[tex]
f_1(x+y) = f_2(x) f_1(y) + f_1(x) f_2(y)
[/tex]

and it is clear that nobody will prove the identity

[tex]
f_1^2(x) + f_2^2(x) = 1
[/tex]

now.

How about using your third identity, with y=-x:

LHS: cos(x+(-x)) = cos(0) = 1

RHS: cos(x)cos(-x) - sin(x)sin(-x)
=cos(x)cos(x) -sin(x)[-sin(x)] (Here we use your first two identities)
=cos2x+sin 2x

So the identities you gave are not enough. We also needed cos(0)=1.

Last edited:
jostpuur said:
There is indeed some unclarity about what one is supposed to use in the proof. If we define two functions, both identically zero, [tex]f_1=0[/tex] and [tex]f_2=0[/tex], then these functions satisfy the properties

[tex]
f_1(-x)=-f_1(x)
[/tex]

[tex]
f_2(-x) = f_2(x)
[/tex]

[tex]
f_2(x + y) = f_2(x)f_2(y) - f_1(x)f_1(y)
[/tex]

[tex]
f_1(x+y) = f_2(x) f_1(y) + f_1(x) f_2(y)
[/tex]

and it is clear that nobody will prove the identity

[tex]
f_1^2(x) + f_2^2(x) = 1
[/tex]

now.
? I don't see what this has got to do with the original post. Your f1 and f2 are constant zero functions, so how does this relate to sin and cos?

Defennder said:
? I don't see what this has got to do with the original post. Your f1 and f2 are constant zero functions, so how does this relate to sin and cos?
His point is that f1 and f2 satisfy all the given equations except f12+ f22= 1 so it is impossible to use the given equations to prove that.

Ok, I see.

atyy said:
How about using your third identity, with y=-x:

LHS: cos(x+(-x)) = cos(0) = 1

RHS: cos(x)cos(-x) - sin(x)sin(-x)
=cos(x)cos(x) -sin(x)[-sin(x)] (Here we use your first two identities)
=cos2x+sin 2x

Hi atyy! Nice! :smile:
So the identities you gave are not enough. We also needed cos(0)=1.

No … we can say sin(0) = sin(-0) = -sin(0), so sin(0) = 0.

Then cos(x) = cos(0 + x) = cos(0)cos(x) + 0 sin(x), so cos(0) = 1. :smile:

atyy, very nice remark. I didn't notice that such small addition to the assumptions was enough. btw. the original post was quite hmhm.. "homework like". Could it be that that was a little bit too explicit answer?

tiny-tim said:
Hi atyy! Nice! :smile:

No … we can say sin(0) = sin(-0) = -sin(0), so sin(0) = 0.

Carefully!

[tex]
\cos(x) = \cos(0)\cos(x)\quad\implies\quad \cos(0)=1\;\textrm{or}\;\cos(x)=0
[/tex]

jostpuur said:
Carefully!

[tex]
[/tex]

No … [tex]\implies\quad \cos(0)=1\;\textrm{ , or}\;\cos(x)=0 \text{ FOR ALL x}[/tex] …

and if cosx = 0 for all x, then sinx = 0 also. :cry:

I see. So we don't need to assume that cos(0)=1, but it suffices to assume that cos(x)!=0 with some x, and then cos(0)=1 follows.

jostpuur said:
There is indeed some unclarity about what one is supposed to use in the proof. If we define two functions, both identically zero

tiny-tim said:
we can say sin(0) = sin(-0) = -sin(0), so sin(0) = 0.

jostpuur said:
Carefully!

[tex]
[/tex]

tiny-tim said:
No … [tex]\implies\quad \cos(0)=1\;\textrm{ , or}\;\cos(x)=0 \text{ FOR ALL x}[/tex] …

and if cosx = 0 for all x, then sinx = 0 also. :cry:
Wow, jostpuur and tiny-tim! That's the nicest thing I've learned in some time.:rofl:

That first one , [tex] sin^2x+cos^2x=1[tex]
is merely the Pythagorean Theorem applied to the unit circle.

i made progress, but hit a dead end again...

sin^2x + cos^2x = 1
sin^2x + (cosx)(cosx) = 1
sin^2x + cos(-x)(cosx) = 1
sin^2x = 1

can anyone bring it home...

dirk_mec1 said:
You provided a link to this thread itself.

Craig is Lege said:

sin^2x + cos^2x = 1
sin^2x = 1

Didn't you follow what was written by the others earlier? And that isn't correct, since cos(-x)cos(x) is not 0. Furthermore, why did you start with sin^2 x + cos^2 x = 1? That is what you're trying to prove, right?

Craig is Lege said:

sin^2x + cos^2x = 1
sin^2x = 1

You have been told repeatedly that you CAN'T prove sin2(x)+ cos2(x)= 1 from those other properties and Jostpuur showed why: two identically zero functions will satify all the other properties but not the Pythagorean identity.

1. What are the basic trigonometric identities?

The basic trigonometric identities are sine (sin), cosine (cos), tangent (tan), cotangent (cot), secant (sec), and cosecant (csc). These identities are used to express the relationships between the sides and angles of a right triangle.

2. What is the process of deriving trigonometric formulas?

The process of deriving trigonometric formulas involves using the basic identities and algebraic manipulations to simplify complex expressions. This can be done by using properties such as the Pythagorean identity, double angle identities, or sum and difference identities.

3. How are trigonometric identities used to solve problems?

Trigonometric identities are used to simplify expressions and solve equations involving trigonometric functions. They can also be used to convert between different forms of trigonometric functions, such as converting from sin to cos or tan to cot.

4. What are some common problems that can be solved using trigonometric identities?

Some common problems that can be solved using trigonometric identities include finding the values of unknown angles or sides in a right triangle, simplifying complex trigonometric expressions, and solving trigonometric equations.

5. What are some tips for effectively using trigonometric identities?

Some tips for effectively using trigonometric identities include memorizing the basic identities, practicing solving problems using different identities, and being familiar with properties such as the unit circle and special triangles. It is also important to carefully manipulate expressions and keep track of the steps taken to avoid errors.