Calculating Work and Force: Solving a Simple Amusement Park Problem

In summary, Sam works at an amusement park and is able to slow down a boat of children on a water ride by pushing on it until it comes to rest at the pier. The boat has a constant speed of 1.2 m/s and a mass of 1200kg. Sam stops it in a distance of 1.75m and his arms make a 30o angle above the horizontal. To find the work done by Sam on the boat, one must first calculate the force applied, which can be found by using the equation F = ma. From there, the work done can be calculated using the equation W = Fs cosθ, where θ is the angle between the force and displacement vectors. In this case
Rha1828
Sam works at an amusement park. A boat of children on a water ride comes the the pier at the end of the ride. They are moving at a constant speed of 1.2 m/s, and the loaded boat has a mass of 1200kg. Sam slows the boat down by pushing on it until it comes to rest at the pier. If he stops it in a distance of 1.75m, and his arms make a 30o angle above the horizontal,

* a) how much work did Sam do on the boat?
* b) how large a force did he apply to the boat?

I thought if I added the mass X gravity that would five me force.
Then I took F cos theta X s to get 1.51 J
and the foce would be 11760.

I am not sure if that is right.

Please any help would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
First find out the acceleration of the boat using kinematic data given...and calculate the force applied by Sam.

I don't understand how you would solve for acceleration.

Rha1828 said:
They are moving at a constant speed of 1.2 m/s … Sam slows the boat down by pushing on it until it comes to rest at the pier. If he stops it in a distance of 1.75m …
Rha1828 said:
I don't understand how you would solve for acceleration.

Hi Rha1828! :smile:

Just use one of the standard constant acceleration equations. :wink:

What is a "simple work problem"?

A simple work problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves calculating the amount of work done by a force applied to an object over a certain distance. It is commonly used in physics and engineering.

How do you solve a simple work problem?

To solve a simple work problem, you need to know the force applied to the object, the distance over which the force is applied, and the direction of the force. Then, you can use the formula W = F x d x cosθ, where W is the work done, F is the force, d is the distance, and θ is the angle between the force and the direction of motion.

What is the unit of measurement for work?

The unit of measurement for work is the joule (J). One joule is equal to the work done by a force of one newton (N) acting over a distance of one meter (m).

Can a simple work problem have a negative answer?

Yes, a simple work problem can have a negative answer. This indicates that the force and the direction of motion are in opposite directions, resulting in work being done against the force.

How is a simple work problem related to real-life situations?

Simple work problems can be used to calculate the amount of work done in various real-life situations, such as lifting objects, pushing or pulling a cart, or using a lever. They are also used in industries such as construction and manufacturing to determine the amount of work needed to complete a task.