Understanding the Breakdown of Path Integrals in Peskin

In summary, the equation states that the integral over all possible field configurations (without constraints) is equal to the integral over all possible field configurations with all possible boundary conditions.
malawi_glenn
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hello

I am trying to follow how one can define a correlation function of two quantum fields using Path integrals.

I have stumbled on equation 9.16 in Peskin, where they states that the functional integral can be split into:

[tex]\int D \phi(x) = \int D\phi _1 (\vec{x}) \int D \phi _2 (\vec{x} ) \int _{\substack{\phi (x_1^0, \vec{x}) = \phi _1 (\vec{x} ) \\\phi (x_2^0, \vec{x}) = \phi _2 (\vec{x} )}} D \phi (x)[/tex]

I was wondering how one can justify this break up? It is only an endpoint constraint imposed, but why do we have to integrate over the intermediate configurations?

Any additional insight or reading tips will be very welcomed! :-)

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not quite sure whether I understand your question correctly, but... isn't that the idea of a path integral?
We know the initial and final configurations, but not what happens in between. So we sum over all the possible configurations that lie between. For a point particle, for example, we fix the initial and final positions A and B but we must integrate over all possible paths that the particle could have taken to get from A to B. This includes paths very far from the classical path, which will on average cancel each other out because of the peculiar form of the integrand. So in effect, we're considering mainly configurations close to the classical one.

I'm not sure I understand the question either. I don't have Peskin with me at the moment but as I read the equation it simply states that

the integral over all possible field configurations (without constraints) = the integral over all possible field configurations with all possible boundary conditions.

As for reading tips: Negele-Orland Quantum Many-Particle Systems has some very nice technical discussions about functional integrals.

Likes Holophagus
Well thank your for your explanations, I will try to digest this :-)

1. What is a path integral in Peskin?

A path integral in Peskin is a mathematical tool used in quantum field theory to calculate the probability of a particle or system undergoing a specific path in spacetime. It involves summing over all possible paths that the particle could take and weighing them by their corresponding action.

2. How is a path integral calculated?

A path integral is calculated using the Feynman path integral formulation, which breaks down the particle's motion into infinitesimal steps and sums up the probabilities of each step. This sum is then integrated over all possible paths to obtain the total probability of the particle's motion.

3. Why are path integrals useful in physics?

Path integrals allow physicists to calculate the probability of a particle's motion without needing to know the exact equations of motion for the system. They also provide a way to incorporate quantum effects into classical systems, making them a powerful tool in quantum field theory and other areas of physics.

4. What are some applications of path integrals in Peskin?

Path integrals have a wide range of applications in physics, including calculating scattering amplitudes in quantum field theories, studying the behavior of particles in curved spacetime, and simulating quantum systems on a computer. They are also used in statistical mechanics and quantum information theory.

5. Are there any limitations to using path integrals?

While path integrals are a powerful tool, they do have some limitations. They can be computationally intensive, especially when dealing with complex systems or higher dimensions. In addition, they may not be suitable for describing systems with strong interactions or in extreme conditions, such as near black holes or during the early universe.