Projectile Motion Up An Incline Plane

In summary, for a projectile to travel the maximum distance up an incline, it must be fired at an angle θi = 45+φ/2.
abhikesbhat

Homework Statement

A projectile is fired up an incline (incline angle φ) with an initial speed vi at an angle θi with respect to the horizontal (θi > φ). (a.) Show that the projectile travels a distance d up the incline, where

d = 2*vi^2*cosθi*sin(θi-φ) / g*cos(φ)^2

(b.) For what value of θi is d a maximum, and what is the maximum value?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok I am back and unbelievably got part a, but I have no idea how to do part b. I know 45 is the way to get maximum range, but I don't think that is the right angle, because we want to maximize x^2+y^2. Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a picture.

Attachments

• Projectile.jpg
    Projectile.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 2,577
You have an equation relating d, which you want to maximize, with θi. It is:
d = 2*vi^2*cosθi*sin(θi-φ) / g*cos(φ)^2

Do you know calculus? If you do, just derive d with respect to θi, set the derivative to zero, and solve for θi. It shouldn't be too hard if you remember a few trig identities, like sin(θi-φ)=sin(θi)cos(φ)-sin(φ)cos(θi).

If you don't know calculus, try to use trig identities to rearrange the formula for d so that it's easy to identify the maximum. Remember that vi and φ are constants, so the only part you need to maximize is cosθi*sin(θi-φ). This is much harder mathematically than using calculus; I can't immediately see how you would go about manipulating cosθi*sin(θi-φ).

Ah this derivative is too hard for me to get. I'll try your second way. Thank you.

The calculus way is actually very simple:

Derive cosθi*sin(θi-φ), because everything else contains only constants. Use the product rule and you'll get cosθi*cos(θi-φ)-sinθi*sin(θi-φ). Recall that cos(a+b)=cos(a)cos(b)-sin(a)sin(b), so:

cosθi*cos(θi-φ)-sinθi*sin(θi-φ)=cos(2θi-φ)=0

What must 2θi-φ be in order for cos(2θi-φ) to be zero?

Without using calculus:

cosθi*sin(θi-φ)=cosθi*(sinθi*cosφ-sinφcosθi)
=cosθi*sinθi*cosφ-sinφ*cos^2 θi
=cosθi*sinθi*cosφ-sinφ(cos(2θi) +1)/2, since cos(2θi)=2cos^2 (θi) - 1
=1/2 sin 2θicosφ - 1/2 sinφcos(2θi) - 1/2 sinφ
=1/2 (sin 2θicosφ-sinφcos(2θi)-sinφ)
The factor 1/2 can be neglected because it's a constant; so can sinφ for the same reason. Our job now is to maximize sin 2θicosφ-sinφcos(2θi), which can be rewritten as
sin (2θi-φ). The maximum possible value of a sine function is 1, so sin (2θi-φ)=1. What must 2θi-φ be?
Make sure that your answers for the calculus and non-calculus methods agree!

Ok I got θi=45+φ/2. Thank you.

1. What is projectile motion up an incline plane?

Projectile motion up an incline plane refers to the movement of an object launched at an angle on a sloped surface. The motion of the object is affected by both gravity and the incline of the plane.

2. How is the motion of the object affected by the incline of the plane?

The incline of the plane affects the horizontal and vertical components of the object's motion. The steeper the incline, the greater the vertical component and the shorter the horizontal distance travelled by the object.

3. What are the key factors that affect projectile motion up an incline plane?

The key factors are the initial velocity of the object, the angle of inclination of the plane, and the acceleration due to gravity. These factors determine the trajectory and range of the object.

4. How can the range of the object be calculated?

The range of the object can be calculated using the formula R = (v2sin2θ)/g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of inclination, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. Can the motion of the object on an incline plane be predicted accurately?

Yes, the motion of the object on an incline plane can be predicted accurately using the laws of physics and mathematical equations. However, factors such as air resistance and friction may affect the actual motion of the object.