Taylor expansion-multivariable calculus(basic question)

• Thread starter penguin007
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Taylor
In summary, the Taylor expansion of F(x,y,z) in the neighborhood of (a,b,c) is a sum of terms for all non-negative integers i, j, k such that i + j + k = n. The "0" term is simply f(a,b,c), while the first order term involves partial derivatives of f with respect to x, y, and z evaluated at (a,b,c). The second order terms involve second partial derivatives, and so on for higher order terms. The expansion can be partitioned in different ways, resulting in a total of 10 third degree terms.
penguin007
What's the Taylor expansion of F(x,y,z) in the neighborhood of (a,b,c)?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Just extend the Taylor's expansion for functions of one variable.

For any n, let i, j, k be any non negative integers such that i+ j+ k= n.

One term in the Taylor's expansion, about [itex](x_0,y_0,z_0)[/itex], is
[tex]\frac{1}{n!}\frac{\partial f}{\partial x^i\partial y^j\partial z^k}[/itex][itex](x- x_0)^i(y- y_0)^j(z- z_0)^k[/itex].
The entire Taylor's expansion is the sum for n= 0 to infinity, of the sum of all such terms for all "partitions" of n.

Specifically, the "0" term has only i= j= k= 0 and is [itex]f(x_0,y_0,z_0)[/itex]. For n= 1, we have i=1, j= k= 0 so [itex]\partial f/\partial x(x_0,y_0,z_0)(x- x_0)+ \partial f/\partial y (x- y_0)[/itex][itex]+ \partial f/\partial z(x_0,y_0,z_0)(z- z_0)[/itex]. The second order terms are [itex](1/2)\partial^2f/\partial x^2 (x_0,y_0,z_0)(x- x_0)^2[/itex][itex]+ (1/2)\partial^2 f/\partial y^2(x_0,y_0,z_0)(y- y_0)^2[/itex][itex]+ (1/2)\partial^2 f/\partial z (x_0,y_0,z_0)(z-z_0)^2[/itex][itex]+ (1/2)\partial f^2/\partial x\partial y(x_0,y_0,z_0)(x-x_0)(y-y_0)+[/itex][itex] (1/2)\partial f^2/\partial x_0\partial z_0(x_0,y_0,z_0)(x-x_0)(z-z_0)[/itex][itex]+ (1/2)\partial f^2/\partial y_0\partial z_0(x_0,y_0,z_0)(y-y_0)(z-z_0)[/itex].

Do you get the idea? "3" can be partitioned as 3+ 0+ 0, 2+ 1+ 0, 2+ 0+ 1, 1+ 2+ 0, 1+ 0+ 2, 1+ 1+ 1, 0+ 3+ 0, 0+ 0+ 3, 0+ 1+ 2, and 0+ 2+ 1 so there are (if I counted correctly) 10 third degree terms

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot HallsofIvy for this clear explanation!
I got the idea.

1. What is a Taylor expansion in multivariable calculus?

A Taylor expansion in multivariable calculus is a method of approximating a multi-dimensional function using a series of polynomials. It allows us to represent a complicated function in terms of simpler polynomials, making it easier to work with and analyze.

2. How is a Taylor expansion different from a Maclaurin expansion?

A Maclaurin expansion is a special case of a Taylor expansion where the function is centered around 0. In other words, a Maclaurin expansion is a type of Taylor expansion where the value of x is set to 0.

3. What is the purpose of a Taylor expansion in multivariable calculus?

The purpose of a Taylor expansion is to approximate a function using a series of polynomials. This allows us to simplify complex functions and make them easier to work with and analyze. It is also useful in applications such as optimization and error analysis.

4. How is a Taylor expansion calculated?

A Taylor expansion is calculated using the derivative of a function at a specific point. The coefficients of the polynomial in the expansion are determined by evaluating the function and its derivatives at that point.

5. What is the difference between a Taylor series and a Taylor polynomial?

A Taylor series is an infinite sum of terms in a Taylor expansion, while a Taylor polynomial is a finite sum of terms. A Taylor series gives an exact representation of a function, while a Taylor polynomial only approximates the function to a certain degree of accuracy.