Two problems with random variables transformations

In summary: F_Y(y) = F_Z(Z(y))In summary, the conversation discusses two exercises involving random variables and their density and cumulative distribution functions. The first exercise involves finding the density function of a new variable Y using an equivalent event approach. The second exercise involves finding a function that transforms a given variable X into a new variable Y with a specific density function. The discussion also includes a suggestion to solve the second exercise by using the relationship between density functions and cumulative distribution functions.
libelec

Homework Statement

[1] A random variable X is distributed as fX(x) = 1/9*(1+x)^2 1{-1<= x<= 2}.

a) Find the density function of Y = -X^2 + X + 2.
b) Find the cummulative distribution function of Y = X1{-1<=X<=1} + 1{X>=1}

[2] Find the function that transforms a variable X with fX(x) = e^(-x) 1{x>0} into a variable Y with fY(y) = 31{0<=y<=1/4} + 1/31{1/4<y<1}.

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem with exercise 1 is that the functions aren't injective in the domain of X. My first guess with a) was to use equivalent events:

FY(y) = P(Y<=y) = P(-X^2 + X + 2 <= y)
FY(y) = P(-X^2 + X + 2 - y<=0) = P([tex]X \le \frac{1}{2} - \frac{{\sqrt {9 - 4y} }}{2}[/tex]) + P([tex]X \ge \frac{1}{2} + \frac{{\sqrt {9 - 4y} }}{2}[/tex])

Then, taking into account that X is absolutely continuous:

FY(y) = P([tex]X \le \frac{1}{2} - \frac{{\sqrt {9 - 4y} }}{2}[/tex]) + (1 - P([tex]X \le \frac{1}{2} + \frac{{\sqrt {9 - 4y} }}{2}[/tex]))

FY(y) = FX([tex]\frac{1}{2} - \frac{{\sqrt {9 - 4y} }}{2}[/tex]) + (1 - FX([tex]\frac{1}{2} + \frac{{\sqrt {9 - 4y} }}{2}[/tex])).

Then I could derive term to term and find fY(y). Is this OK? I'm mainly worried about the unicity of all this, due to g(x) not being injective.

For point b), on the other hand, I don't know how to interprete it. Should I consider this a problem of conditional probabilities? I mean, FY(y) = FX|-1<=X<=1(x) + ?

For exercise 2, I need a hint. Best thing I could think was that, since fY(y) = fX(g-1(y))/(g'(g-1(y))), that in both cases g(x) must some sort of logarithmic function.

Any recomendations? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
first thought, have you tired completing the square, may help make it an easier transformation, though will have a look thourgh the rest

Anybody else?

notation is alittle difficult to read what are the bold 1s?
libelec said:

Homework Statement

a) Find the density function of Y = -X^2 + X + 2.

The problem with exercise 1 is that the functions aren't injective in the domain of X. My first guess with a) was to use equivalent events:

FY(y) = P(Y<=y) = P(-X^2 + X + 2 <= y)
FY(y) = P(-X^2 + X + 2 - y<=0) = P([tex]X \le \frac{1}{2} - \frac{{\sqrt {9 - 4y} }}{2}[/tex]) + P([tex]X \ge \frac{1}{2} + \frac{{\sqrt {9 - 4y} }}{2}[/tex])

Then, taking into account that X is absolutely continuous:

FY(y) = P([tex]X \le \frac{1}{2} - \frac{{\sqrt {9 - 4y} }}{2}[/tex]) + (1 - P([tex]X \le \frac{1}{2} + \frac{{\sqrt {9 - 4y} }}{2}[/tex]))

FY(y) = FX([tex]\frac{1}{2} - \frac{{\sqrt {9 - 4y} }}{2}[/tex]) + (1 - FX([tex]\frac{1}{2} + \frac{{\sqrt {9 - 4y} }}{2}[/tex])).

Then I could derive term to term and find fY(y). Is this OK? I'm mainly worried about the unicity of all this, due to g(x) not being injective.

This looks reasonable to me as you are splitting the function into 1:1 parts,

Another equaivalent way, not necessarily easier but maybe clearer, is as follows

First note range of Y is [0,1] and the function is 1:1 on the intervals [-1,1/2) & (1/2,2]

so treat the contribution from each section seperately, first X<1/2, solve for X
[tex] Y = -(X-\frac{1}{2})^2 + \frac{9}{4} [/tex]
[tex] X = \sqrt{\frac{9}{4} -Y}+\frac{1}{2})[/tex]
then find the derivative
[tex] |\frac{dx}{dy}| = ...[/tex]

the contribution to the density function of Y, from the region X<1/2
[tex]f_{Y, (X<1/2)}(y) = f_X(x(y)) |\frac{dx}{dy}| [/tex]

do the same for X>1/2 and sum the contributions to get the total distribution for Y
[tex]f_{Y}(y) = f_{Y, (X<1/2)}(y)+f_{Y, (X>1/2)}(y) [/tex]

Last edited:
libelec said:

Homework Statement

b) Find the cummulative distribution function of Y = X1{-1<=X<=1} + 1{X>=1}

For point b), on the other hand, I don't know how to interprete it. Should I consider this a problem of conditional probabilities? I mean, FY(y) = FX|-1<=X<=1(x) + ?
For b) i would read it as Y = X for -1<X<1 and one otherwise. What is the probabilty of X>1?
this the probabilty Y should have for being 1 (check its not one anywhere else on the X domain).

In effect the distribution for Y will be a combination of continuous & discrete - do you know about dirac delta functions?

that said its pretty hard to read similar for 2, can you explain the notation?

lanedance said:
For b) i would read it as Y = X for -1<X<1 and one otherwise. What is the probabilty of X>1?

It's [tex]\int\limits_1^2 {{f_X}(x)dx}[/tex]

lanedance said:
this the probabilty Y should have for being 1 (check its not one anywhere else on the X domain).

It can't, because Y is X for -1<=X<1.

lanedance said:
In effect the distribution for Y will be a combination of continuous & discrete - do you know about dirac delta functions?

I don't think it's necessary, since they ask me for the cummulative distribution function, not the density function.

lanedance said:
that said its pretty hard to read similar for 2, can you explain the notation?

OK, here it goes again:

[2] Find the function that transforms a variable X with [tex]{f_X}(x) = {e^{ - x}}*1\left\{ {x > 0} \right\}[/tex] into a variable Y with [tex]{f_Y}(y) = 3*1\left\{ {0 < y < 1/4} \right\} + 1/3*1\left\{ {1/4 < y < 1} \right\}[/tex], where 1{X [tex]\in[/tex]A} is the indicator function.

Thanks.

ok so for 1b) as it cumulative distribrution function can you write it in terms of a step function?

for 2) i haven't tried yet but would start from
[tex] f_Y(y) = f_X(x)|\frac{dx}{dy}|[/tex]

also examine the cumulative probability at the change in [itex] f_Y(x) [/itex] at the point y = 1/4.

as another idea you could look at how to make [itex] f_Z(z) = 1 [/itex], on [0,1] as a simpler first pass

1. What are random variable transformations?

Random variable transformations are mathematical functions that are applied to a random variable in order to transform its distribution into a different one. They are commonly used in statistical analysis to simplify data or make it more suitable for a particular analysis.

2. What are the main problems with random variable transformations?

There are two main problems with random variable transformations. The first is that the transformed variable may no longer be a random variable, meaning it does not follow a defined probability distribution. The second problem is that the transformed variable may result in misleading or incorrect conclusions if not applied properly.

3. How do I know if a transformed variable is still a random variable?

In order for a transformed variable to still be considered a random variable, it must satisfy two conditions. The first is that the transformed variable must have a defined probability distribution. The second is that the transformed variable must still be able to take on a range of values, rather than being restricted to a single value.

4. What are some common examples of random variable transformations?

Some common examples of random variable transformations include logarithmic transformations, exponential transformations, and power transformations. These are often used to transform skewed data into a more normal distribution for analysis.

5. How can I ensure that I am properly applying a random variable transformation?

In order to properly apply a random variable transformation, it is important to have a clear understanding of the data and the purpose of the transformation. It is also important to carefully choose the appropriate transformation based on the characteristics of the data, and to check the resulting transformed variable for the two conditions mentioned in question 3.