How do you convert m/s^2 to km/h?

• Thread starter Kdawg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convert
In summary: It does, but if you multiply by 10 then it's not so badI multiplied by 10 to make it not so bad?In summary, to convert m/s^2 to km/h, you can use either the delat t of a or the ms^-1.
Kdawg
How do you convert m/s^2 to km/h?

Physics news on Phys.org
At least in the form you asked the question, you can't. m/s2 is a unit for acceleration while km/h is a unit for speed.

well you can if you have the delat t of a

But if you are trying to convert ms^-1 than its rather easy, there's a couple ways of doing it.
I do it like such
((36km/60)/60)*1000
which is equal to 10ms^-1

Theres some really easy way to do it, but this one never fails and it doesn't take that much longer so i just use this one.

Oh, that would make sense wouldn't it, lol. I am trying to figure out this problem.
A bus traveling at +29 km/h accelerates at a constant +3.7 m/s2 for 6.3 s. What is its final velocity in km/h?
This is my work so far, what am I doing wrong.
Vi = 29Km/h
a = 3.7m/s^2
t = 6.3s
Vf = ?

Vf = Vi + at
Vf = 29 + 3.7 * 6.3
Vf = 52 - With right sig figs

Looks good to me.

Thats what I thought but the damn webassign keeps marking it wrong.

I can see why from here,
Vf = Vi +at
SI UNITS!
Velocity SI unit is ms^-1
Therefore 29kmh^-1
Needs to be converted to ms^-1

What is its final velocity in km/h?
And then convert it back

You have to remember to convert stuff, i will never forget, i lost 15 marks out of 50 on my last exam from not converting to the SI units

I converted 29km/h to 8.0556m/s the multiplied 8.0556 + 3.7 * 6.3 = 30.6256
then converted that to 110. That obviously isn't right, what am I doing wrong.

Bleah. Of course. I wasn't looking at the units.

Seems right to me... Remember, think of how long 6.3 seconds is when your accelerating in a car. Like when you go onto a freeway, you would really only accelerate for about 3 seconds to get to 100km, from about 50..., so 6 seconds is actually a long time to accelerate for

Kdawg said:
I converted 29km/h to 8.0556m/s the multiplied 8.0556 + 3.7 * 6.3 = 30.6256
then converted that to 110. That obviously isn't right, what am I doing wrong.

Try evaluating this again I don't seem to get the same answer for 8.05556+(3.7*6.3) as you do.

(and hence the converted figure is different as well)

KaneOris said:
Seems right to me... Remember, think of how long 6.3 seconds is when your accelerating in a car. Like when you go onto a freeway, you would really only accelerate for about 3 seconds to get to 100km, from about 50..., so 6 seconds is actually a long time to accelerate for

This really depends on how hard you put your foot on the accelerator (or how good your car is!)

Yes, but you know what i mean, 6.3 seconds is a long time to accelerate, although the sound of it isn't very much, its a pain in the A$$ if you look at your watch and wait for 6 or 7 seconds to pass...

1. How do you convert m/s^2 to km/h?

To convert from meters per second squared (m/s^2) to kilometers per hour (km/h), you can use the following formula: km/h = (m/s^2) * 3.6. This is because there are 3.6 kilometers in one hour.

2. What is the difference between m/s^2 and km/h?

Both m/s^2 and km/h are units of measurement for speed. However, m/s^2 represents acceleration (change in speed over time), while km/h represents a constant speed over a given distance.

3. Can you provide an example of converting m/s^2 to km/h?

Yes, for example, if you have an object that is accelerating at a rate of 10 m/s^2, you can convert it to km/h by multiplying 10 by 3.6, which equals 36 km/h.

4. Do you always need to convert m/s^2 to km/h?

No, it depends on the context and what you are trying to measure. If you are measuring acceleration, you would use m/s^2. If you are measuring speed, you would use km/h.

5. Are there any other units of measurement for speed?

Yes, there are many other units of measurement for speed, such as miles per hour (mph), feet per second (ft/s), and knots (nautical miles per hour). It is important to pay attention to the units when converting between different systems of measurement.