At what value of h does the flow stop?

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework question involving a tank of water with a hose connected to it. The tank is sealed at the top and has compressed air between the water surface and the top. The question asks for the speed of water flow at different water heights and when the flow stops. The conversation also mentions using calculus to solve the problem.
jaidon
I am new here so I hope that someone may have some advice. I am having trouble with a homework question which is quite lengthy. -- A large tank of water has a hose connected to it as shown in the figure. The tank is sealed at the top and has compressed air between the water surface and the top. When the water height, h, has the value 3.50m, the absolute pressure p of the compressed air is 4.20x10^5 Pa. Assume that the air above the water expands at a constant temperature, and take the atmospheric pressure to be 1.00x10^5 Pa. a)What is the speed with which the water flows out of the hose when h=3.50m? b)As water flows out of the tank, h decreases. Calculate the speed of flow for h=3.00m and h=2.00m c)At what value of h does the flow stop?-- The figure shows a tank of height=4.00m and the water level is lower than 4.00m giving the air gap. The hose is on the side in a "Z" shape with the top of the "Z" being 1.00m from ground level. I don't know if anyone can help, but I would appreciate the input.

Physics news on Phys.org
You will have to show us what you've done so far. (Read the sticky post at the top of the forum).

i believe that i figured out a) so for b) i was trying to determine the pressure at 3.00m. i used PV=nRT for 3.00m and PV=nRT for 3.50m and equated them. The nRTcancel and i get PV=PV. The tank is a cylinder so i said PAh=PAh. The A's cancel. P1h1=P2h2 with P1=4.20x10^5Pa, h1=3.50m, h2=3.00m solve for P2. I have done something wrong because this gives an increase in pressure when it should decrease. Anyone have some help for me?

Why not use your knowledge of calculus?

i think i just figured it out. thanks to anyone who considered the problem

1. What is the significance of h in determining when the flow stops?

H represents the height of the liquid surface above the orifice, which affects the pressure and velocity of the flowing liquid. As h decreases, the pressure and velocity increase, ultimately causing the flow to stop.

2. How does the viscosity of the liquid impact the value of h at which the flow stops?

The higher the viscosity of the liquid, the slower the flow and the higher the value of h required for the flow to stop. This is because higher viscosity creates more resistance to flow, requiring a greater height to overcome it.

3. Can the shape of the orifice affect the value of h at which the flow stops?

Yes, the shape of the orifice can impact the flow rate and therefore the value of h at which the flow stops. For example, a narrower orifice will have a higher velocity and require a lower value of h to stop the flow compared to a wider orifice.

4. Is the value of h at which the flow stops affected by the density of the liquid?

Yes, the density of the liquid plays a role in determining when the flow will stop. A denser liquid will require a lower value of h to stop the flow compared to a less dense liquid, as the weight of the liquid will have a greater impact on the pressure and velocity of the flow.

5. Are there any other factors that can impact the value of h at which the flow stops?

Other factors that can affect the value of h include the temperature and surface tension of the liquid, as well as external factors such as air pressure and gravity. These variables can all influence the pressure and velocity of the flow, ultimately affecting when it will stop.