Basic Frictional Forces/Gravity Question

• Thread starter Seinfeld4
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of net acceleration and force normal in an elevator scenario. It is determined that the net acceleration is 0.49m/s^2 and the force normal acting on the 35kg passenger is 360.15N. The velocity of the elevator after 12 seconds is also calculated to be 5.88m/s. The conversation also touches on the feeling of weight in an elevator when it starts to move or fall.
Seinfeld4

Homework Statement

An elevator containing three passengers (with a mass of 72kg, 84kg, and 35kg, respectively) has a combined mass of 1030kg. The cable attached to the elevator exerts an upward force of 12 000N, but friction opposing the motion of the elevator is 1400N.

a) Calculate the net acceleration of the elevator and its passengers.

I started by calculating F(net).

F(net) = 12 000N - (Ff + Fg)
F(net) = 12 000N - (1400N + (1030kg * 9.80m/s^2))
F(net) = 506N

Now, to calculate net acceleration:

a(net) = F(net) / m
a(net) = 506N / 1030kg
a(net) = 0.49m/s^2

Is that correct? That seems realistic for an elevator (I think).

b) Calculate the force normal acting on the 35kg passenger.

Fn = mg - ma
Fn = (35kg)(9.80m/s^2) - (35kg)(0.49m/s^2)
Fn = 325.85N

Am I doing this properly so far?

c) What velocity will the elevator have 12 seconds after the passengers have entered the elevator?

v = a * t
v = 0.49m/s^2 * 12s
v = 5.88m/s

Can anybody verify if this is correct? It would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are standing in an elevator when the door closes and the elevator starts to go up. Do you feel heavier or lighter when the elevator car starts to move?

You are in an elevator at the top of a building when the elevator cable suddenly snaps and the elevator starts to fall. When the fall starts, do you feel heavier or lighter?

So...I didn't do it properly then?

I know that you feel heavier when the elevator begins to ascend, and you feel lighter when the elevator begins to descend.

Since the elevator is ascending in this case, should Fn = mg + ma?

Fn = mg + ma
Fn = (35kg)(9.80m/s^2) + (35kg)(0.49m/s^2)
Fn = 360.15N

Is this what you're trying to get at? Sorry, I'm a little lost!

That is correct. You are not exactly adding "+a" with "-g." In a classical physics explanations (as opposed to the more correct General Relativity explanation) you can think that the normal force has to do two things--1: balance the weight of the person, then 2: supply additional net force to cause the person's acceleration. This means the normal force, when accelerating up, will be m(g+a) {these values are the magnitudes of the vector quantities}, and when accelerating down (which includes coming to a stop when the elevator arrives at the top ) it's m(g-a) .

Last edited:
Makes sense, thanks a lot!

So I did part a) and c) properly then?

It appears so. I don't have my calculator, but the process is correct.

1. What is frictional force?

Frictional force is the force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact. It is caused by the irregularities on the surfaces and the interlocking of the molecules in the materials.

2. How does the coefficient of friction affect the frictional force?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of how easily two surfaces slide past each other. A higher coefficient of friction means a greater force is needed to overcome the frictional force and move the surfaces.

3. What is the difference between static and kinetic friction?

Static friction is the force that prevents two stationary surfaces from sliding past each other, while kinetic friction is the force that opposes the motion of two surfaces already in motion.

4. How does gravity affect frictional force?

Gravity does not directly affect frictional force. However, the weight of an object can increase the normal force between two surfaces, which in turn can increase the frictional force.

5. What are some real-life examples of frictional force?

Frictional force is present in many everyday activities, such as walking, driving a car, or using a pencil to write on paper. It is also important in sports, as it allows us to grip and control objects like a baseball or tennis racket.