Finding the determinant of adjoint matrix

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the determinant of a matrix and using the adjoint to solve it. The expert provides a formula for finding the adjoint and suggests memorizing it for easier solving in exams.
amninder15
Any help would be appreciated.
I tried to solve this problem by first the adjoint of A but then that get really complicated I have no clue how to do this.

Attachments

• Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    6.9 KB · Views: 3,151
Physics news on Phys.org
Evaluate the determinant of A (work it out, even though you are given the numerical answer). Equate the expression with 4. After you've found the adjoint of A, find the determinant. Replace first expression into second one. Expand. Terms cancel out. I just worked it out, but i'll withhold on the answer, until you've shown some work.

Last edited:
Ok so this is what I am doing I found the determinant of A its something like this
a(ei-fh)-b(di-gh)+c(dh-eg) = 4
Then I found the adjoint A which has terms like this ei-fh, ch-bi and so on. But now the problem I am facing is that with these type of terms finding determinant is getting really complicated I don't think I can use the row reduced method coz i can't see that there is any cancellations going on. So i tried to use the cofactor way but that's getting really long. I am not sure I am doing it right.

For starters, your determinant of A is wrong. But there is a simpler way to solve this, using the properties of determinants. You are already given that the determinant of matrix A is 4.

From the definition of [tex]A^{-1}=\frac{1}{det(A)}\times adj(A)[/tex]
Multiply by matrix A throughout and cross-multiply:
[tex]A\times Adj(A)=det(A)\times I[/tex]
where I is the 3x3 identity matrix.

Now taking determinant on both sides we get,

[tex]det(A)\times det(Adj(A))=det(det(A)\times I)[/tex]

Recall, for an n x n square matrix,
[tex]det(kB)=k^n\times det(B)[/tex]
where k is a numerical constant.

[tex]det(A)\times det(Adj(A))=(det(A))^n \times det(I)[/tex]

Since determinant of an identity matrix is 1,

[tex]det(A)\times det(Adj(A))=(det(A))^n[/tex]
Therefore,
[tex]det(Adj(A))=\frac{(det(A))^n}{det(A)}=(det(A))^{n-1}[/tex]

From there, you can easily find the answer.

Thank You So much
I have exam tommorow and this was question in practise exam
and I wasnt able to do it. But you explained it real nice

Thanks!

It's preferable to memorize the formula, which is much easier and faster than deriving it, especially for multiple choice questions:
[tex]det(Adj(A))=(det(A))^{n-1}[/tex]

1. What is the purpose of finding the determinant of an adjoint matrix?

The determinant of an adjoint matrix is used to calculate the inverse of a square matrix. It is also used to solve systems of linear equations and to find the area or volume of geometric shapes.

2. How is the determinant of an adjoint matrix calculated?

The determinant of an adjoint matrix is calculated by finding the determinant of the original matrix, raising it to the power of n-1, where n is the size of the matrix, and then multiplying it by the determinant of the cofactor matrix.

3. Can the determinant of an adjoint matrix be negative?

Yes, the determinant of an adjoint matrix can be negative. The sign of the determinant depends on the number of row swaps that are made during the calculation process.

4. How does finding the determinant of an adjoint matrix help in solving systems of linear equations?

The determinant of an adjoint matrix is used to find the inverse of a matrix, which is then used to solve systems of linear equations. By finding the inverse, we can easily solve for the variables in the system.

5. Are there any limitations to finding the determinant of an adjoint matrix?

Yes, the determinant of an adjoint matrix can only be calculated for square matrices. In addition, it can only be calculated for matrices with real numbers. Matrices with complex numbers cannot have a determinant.