Taking the integral of a series

• Thread starter Guidenable
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series Sum
In summary: For example, if you wanted to find the sum of the series \sum (a_n / n) z^n, you could try plugging in a value for n which gives the sum of the series as \sum (2*a_n / 3*n) z^n.
Guidenable

Homework Statement

Find the exact sum of:

[itex]\sum[/itex] 2/(n7n)

n=1->∞

The Attempt at a Solution

Let Sn denote the nth partial sum.

ln(Sn) = [itex]\Sigma[/itex] ln(2/(n7n))

=[itex]\Sigma[/itex] ln2 - lnn - nln7

= nln2 - (ln1 + ln7 + ln2 + 2ln7 + ln3 + 3ln7 ...)
= nln2 - ln(n!) - ln7[itex]\Sigma[/itex] n
= ln (2n)/n! - ln7 ([itex]\Sigma[/itex] n)

I'm not sure where to go from here, or if I'm even going in the right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know how these two power series relate to each other?
[tex]\sum z^{n-1}[/tex]
[tex]\sum \frac{1}{n} z^n[/tex]

No, but now I intend to find out. A hint would be appreciated though.

Never mind. Those two series are related by a factor of 1/zn. I should have looked a bit closer :/.

Hint: [itex]\int z^{n-1} dz = \frac{1}{n} z^n[/itex]

Guidenable said:

Homework Statement

Find the exact sum of:

n=1->∞

I'm not sure where to go from here, or if I'm even going in the right direction.
This approach won't work because the very first step is wrong. It's not true that ln(a+b) = ln a + ln b.

Guidenable said:

Homework Statement

Find the exact sum of:

n=1->∞

Stop right there. What you have done is invalid: the log of a sum is not the sum of the logs. For example, if you claim that log(2 + 3) = log(2) + log(3) you would have log(2) + log(3) = log(2*3) = 6 (because the log of a product is the sum of the logs), so your method would give log(5) = log(6), hence 5 = 6.

RGV

Thanks for the correction, I normally know log rules, just that one slipped. You guys mean bringing the log into the sum, right?

jbunniii said:
Hint: [itex]\int z^{n-1} dz = \frac{1}{n} z^n[/itex]

So I just evaluate the integral?

Guidenable said:
So I just evaluate the integral?
Yes, do you see how this can be applied to this problem?

Guidenable said:
Thanks for the correction, I normally know log rules, just that one slipped. You guys mean bringing the log into the sum, right?

I thought that was what I said.

RGV

jbunniii said:

Yes, I understand now, thank you very much!

jbunniii said:

Hey I was just wondering how you can take the integral of a series to find the sum? Don't series only include integers and will not add up to the same thing as a integral? For example my calculus textbook says when doing the integral test specifically states that the integral is not the sum of the series. Can someone please tell me what I am missing? Thank you.

Eats Dirt said:
Hey I was just wondering how you can take the integral of a series to find the sum? Don't series only include integers and will not add up to the same thing as a integral? For example my calculus textbook says when doing the integral test specifically states that the integral is not the sum of the series. Can someone please tell me what I am missing? Thank you.

If
[tex]f(z) = \sum a_n z^n[/tex]
then, under certain conditions, you can perform manipulations like this:
[tex]\int f(z) dz = \int \sum a_n z^n dz = \sum \int a_n z^n dz = \sum \frac{a_n}{n+1} z^{n+1} dz[/tex]
You need to provide justification for interchanging the order of integration and summation. Uniform convergence of the power series is a sufficient condition.

This kind of trick is useful for finding sums such as [itex]\sum (a_n / n) z^n[/itex], provided you have a closed-form expression for [itex]\sum a_n z^n[/itex]. Term by term differentiation of the power series can also be useful in some situations.

Eats Dirt said:
The idea here is to recognize that some fairly well-known power series in x (or z as jbunniii seems to like) is involved here, and that this power series represents a function of x. Then plug-in a value for x which gives the series of interest in this problem.

What is an exact sum of a series?

An exact sum of a series is the precise value obtained by adding all the terms in a series together. It can also be referred to as the total of a series.

Why is finding the exact sum of a series important?

Finding the exact sum of a series is important because it allows us to calculate the total value of a series and make accurate predictions and calculations based on that value. It is also useful in various fields of science and mathematics, such as in financial analysis and in determining the convergence or divergence of a series.

What methods can be used to find the exact sum of a series?

There are multiple methods that can be used to find the exact sum of a series, such as the arithmetic method, the geometric method, and the telescoping method. Each method involves different techniques and is applicable in different scenarios.

What is the difference between an exact sum and an approximate sum of a series?

An exact sum is the precise value obtained by adding all the terms in a series, while an approximate sum is an estimation or approximation of the total value. An approximate sum is often used when the exact sum is difficult to calculate or when a close approximation is sufficient for the intended purpose.

Are there any real-life applications of finding the exact sum of a series?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of finding the exact sum of a series. For example, in finance, calculating the exact sum of a series can help in determining the total value of investments over time. In physics, the exact sum of a series can be used to calculate the total energy or force exerted in a system. In statistics, finding the exact sum of a series can be useful in analyzing and interpreting data.