Inequality of sides of triangle

In summary, the inequality of sides of a triangle refers to the fact that in any triangle, the sum of the lengths of any two sides must be greater than the length of the third side. This concept is known as the triangle inequality theorem and is a fundamental rule in geometry. It is used to determine if a set of three side lengths can form a valid triangle. If the inequality is not satisfied, the triangle cannot exist. The inequality of sides also plays a role in determining the type of triangle, whether it is acute, right, or obtuse. Understanding this concept is crucial in geometry and can be applied in various real-world situations.
sharpycasio

Homework Statement

Prove the following inequality for any triangle that has sides a, b, and c.

[tex]-1<\frac{a}{b}+\frac{b}{c}+\frac{c}{a}-\frac{b}{a}-\frac{a}{c}-\frac{c}{b}<1[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think we have to use sine or cosine at a certain point because the bounds of the inequality are the same as the bounds of the two functions' ranges. Perhaps the Sine Law since that applies to all triangles? Tried rearranging it, pairing up the reciprocals. Maybe the fractions represent ratios ([itex]sin(\theta)[/itex])

[tex]-1<(\frac{a}{b}-\frac{b}{a})+(\frac{b}{c}-\frac{c}{b})+(\frac{c}{a}-\frac{a}{c})<1[/tex]

I'm stuck. Any help? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone please give me a hint? Thanks.

sharpycasio said:
Can anyone please give me a hint? Thanks.

What have you covered in the class, there are many many many trig and geometry topics, maybe showing some theorems might narrow the search down.

happysauce said:
What have you covered in the class, there are many many many trig and geometry topics, maybe showing some theorems might narrow the search down.

I've done all the trig usually done at the high school level. My analytic geometry skills aren't that good though.

Can someone please help me? I need to solve this for tomorrow. I've been working on it for like 5 hours and I'm still stuck.

Well I took a crack at it. Here is what I tried. No guarantee this will work.
Without loss of generality let a>b>c. With equality it's pretty clear that is works. I tried playing with this assumption, not sure if it will work though. Another idea would be trying to get something to take the form of law of cosines and sines. Maybe you should try assuimg a>b>c, then use the idea that a+b>c, b+c>a, a+c>b. To be honest, I think there is something really important that I missed. Maybe if you list every theorem you learned in the past 2 weeks?

sharpycasio said:

Homework Statement

Prove the following inequality for any triangle that has sides a, b, and c.

[tex]-1<\frac{a}{b}+\frac{b}{c}+\frac{c}{a}-\frac{b}{a}-\frac{a}{c}-\frac{c}{b}<1[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think we have to use sine or cosine at a certain point because the bounds of the inequality are the same as the bounds of the two functions' ranges. Perhaps the Sine Law since that applies to all triangles? Tried rearranging it, pairing up the reciprocals. Maybe the fractions represent ratios ([itex]sin(\theta)[/itex])
[tex]-1<(\frac{a}{b}-\frac{b}{a})+(\frac{b}{c}-\frac{c}{b})+(\frac{c}{a}-\frac{a}{c})<1[/tex]
I'm stuck. Any help? Thanks.
I don't have a final answer but here are some thoughts:

Law of sines will give you: [itex]\displaystyle \frac{a}{b}=\frac{\sin(\text{A}}{\sin(\text{B}}[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle
\frac{\sin(\text{A})}{\sin(\text{B})}-\frac{\sin(\text{B})}{\sin(\text{A})}
=\frac{\sin^2(\text{A})-\sin^2(\text{B})}{\sin(\text{A})\,\sin(\text{B})}
=\frac{\cos(\text{A}+\text{B})}{\sin(\text{A})\, \sin(\text{B})}
[/itex]

SammyS said:
I don't have a final answer but here are some thoughts:

Law of sines will give you: [itex]\displaystyle \frac{a}{b}=\frac{\sin(\text{A}}{\sin(\text{B}}[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle
\frac{\sin(\text{A})}{\sin(\text{B})}-\frac{\sin(\text{B})}{\sin(\text{A})}
=\frac{\sin^2(\text{A})-\sin^2(\text{B})}{\sin(\text{A})\,\sin(\text{B})}
=\frac{\cos(\text{A}+\text{B})}{\sin(\text{A})\, \sin(\text{B})}
[/itex]

This is exactly how I started working on it but then I got stuck. I ended up solving it a different way. I expanded the whole expression on a common denominator (abc). Then I factored the numerator into −(a−b)(a−c)(b−c) (See https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=643010)

Then I used the triangle inequality as happysauce said. a+b>c → a-c>-b and "substituted". The rest was pretty simple. Thanks for the help guys :)

1. What is the inequality of sides of a triangle?

The inequality of sides of a triangle refers to the relationship between the lengths of the three sides of a triangle. It states that the sum of the lengths of any two sides must be greater than the length of the third side.

2. How is the inequality of sides of a triangle used in geometry?

The inequality of sides of a triangle is a fundamental concept in geometry that is used to determine if a given set of side lengths can form a valid triangle. It is also used in proofs and calculations involving triangles, such as the Triangle Inequality Theorem.

3. What happens if the inequality of sides of a triangle is not satisfied?

If the inequality of sides of a triangle is not satisfied, it means that the given side lengths cannot form a valid triangle. This is because the sum of the lengths of any two sides is not greater than the length of the third side, which is a necessary condition for a triangle to exist.

4. Can the inequality of sides of a triangle be reversed?

No, the inequality of sides of a triangle cannot be reversed. This means that if a set of side lengths satisfy the inequality, it does not guarantee that a triangle can be formed. The inequality must be satisfied for a triangle to exist, but it does not guarantee its existence.

5. How can the inequality of sides of a triangle be proven?

The inequality of sides of a triangle can be proven using various methods, such as the Pythagorean Theorem, the Triangle Inequality Theorem, or by using algebraic manipulations. These methods involve comparing the lengths of the sides and showing that they satisfy the necessary condition for a triangle to exist.