Going from cylindrical to cartesian coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses the conversion of an expression for the magnetic field from an infinite wire into cartesian coordinates and the issue of getting the desired result for a phase plot. Suggestions for simplifying the formula and correcting the incorrect sign in the y-component are also provided.
Niles

Homework Statement

Hi

The expression for the magnetic field from an infinite wire is
[tex]
\boldsymbol B(r) = \frac{\mu_0I}{2\pi}\frac{1}{r} \hat\phi
[/tex]
which points along [itex]\phi[/itex]. I am trying to convert this into cartesian coordinates, and what I get is
[tex]
\boldsymbol B(x, y) = \frac{\mu_0I}{2\pi}\frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}} \hat\phi
[/tex]
where
[tex]
\hat\phi = -\sin\phi \hat x + \cos\phi \hat y
[/tex]
I am trying to make a phase plot of this expression, so what I have done is to say that [itex]\phi = \arctan(y/x)[/itex], so [itex]\hat\phi = -\sin(\arctan(y/x))\hat x + \cos(\arctan(y/x))\hat y[/itex]. However I don't get the desired result. Have I missed something in my approach?

Physics news on Phys.org
sin (arctan a) and cos (arctan a) can be simplified. Let z = arctan a, that means tan z = a, and tan z = sin z/cos z = a, so you can express sin z and cos z in terms of a.

voko said:
sin (arctan a) and cos (arctan a) can be simplified. Let z = arctan a, that means tan z = a, and tan z = sin z/cos z = a, so you can express sin z and cos z in terms of a.

Thanks, so I know that
[tex]
\frac{y}{x} = \frac{\sin(\phi)}{\cos(\phi)}
[/tex]
I can't see how this enables me to rewrite e.g. [itex]\sin(\arctan(y/x))[/itex].

## \sin (\arctan a) = \sin z ##. Since ##\tan z = \sin z/\cos z = a##, ##\sin^2 z = a^2 \cos^2 z = a^2(1 - \sin^2 z)##. So you can find ##\sin z## as a function of ##a##; ditto for ##\cos z##. Then substitute ## a = y/x ##.

Ah, I see. So I get
[tex]
\sin z = \frac{a}{\sqrt{1+a^2}} \\
\cos z = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+a^2}}
[/tex]
But I still have my original problem: That when I plot B using these for negative x, then I don't see the correct magnetic field. I thought that I was perhaps missing a term [itex]\pi/2[/itex], but that didn't solve it either.

What do you get and what is your expectation?

I have attached a plot of what I see (the axes are (x, y), the current 1A and the units on the axis in meters), it is called "negative_x". If I only plot for positive x-values I get "positive_x", and there I see what I expect (as shown here, on the top: http://www.netdenizen.com/emagnet/solenoids/frommaxwellonly.htm).

My code in Mathematica for plotting is:

VectorPlot[(mu0/2 pi)*
current*(1/(x^2 + y^2)^(1/2))*{-(y/x)/(1 + y^2/x^2)^(1/2),
1/(1 + y^2/x^2)^(1/2)}, {x, -0.01, 0.01}, {y, -0.01, 0.01}]

Attachments

• positive_x.jpeg
    positive_x.jpeg
    19.2 KB · Views: 504
  • negative_x.jpeg
    negative_x.jpeg
    9.3 KB · Views: 486
You should be able to simply the formula very significantly. Note that ## \frac 1 {\sqrt {1 + y^2/x^2}} = \frac x {\sqrt {x^2 + y^2}} ##, and the radical in the denominator nicely couples with that in the common factor. But even then your formula is not wrong, I am not sure why Mathematica does not plot it correctly.

voko said:
You should be able to simply the formula very significantly. Note that ## \frac 1 {\sqrt {1 + y^2/x^2}} = \frac x {\sqrt {x^2 + y^2}} ##, and the radical in the denominator nicely couples with that in the common factor. But even then your formula is not wrong, I am not sure why Mathematica does not plot it correctly.

I don't know either. Strange, but nice to know that I have the correct exprssion. Thanks!

OK, I just plotted it in MatLAB, and it *isn't* correct. For x<0 the y-coordinates all have to change sign. So the expression is not correct.

EDIT: I have attached the plot.

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 383
Last edited:
Have you tried the simplified formula as I suggested?

Yes, it didn't change anything. It shouldn't either, since it is just a different way of expressing it.

Your formula is ## (\mu_0/2 \pi)
I \frac 1 {(x^2 + y^2)^{1/2}} \left(\frac {-y/x } {(1 + y^2/x^2)^{1/2}},
\frac 1 {(1 + y^2/x^2)^{1/2}} \right)##

Observe that the y-component is always positive, which is incorrect. If you transform it the way I suggested, you will get ## (\mu_0/2 \pi) I \frac 1 {x^2 + y^2} \left(-y, x\right)##, which restores the correct sign.

thanks! I must have made an error somewhere then when I tried

What are cylindrical coordinates?

Cylindrical coordinates are a type of coordinate system used to describe points in three-dimensional space. They consist of a distance from the origin, an angle from a fixed reference direction, and a height above a reference plane.

What are cartesian coordinates?

Cartesian coordinates, also known as rectangular coordinates, are a type of coordinate system used to describe points in two or three-dimensional space. They consist of a set of perpendicular axes, with each axis representing a different dimension.

Why would someone want to convert from cylindrical to cartesian coordinates?

Converting from cylindrical to cartesian coordinates can be useful in certain situations, such as when trying to graph a function or plot data points. It can also help make calculations and geometric operations easier to visualize and understand.

How do you convert from cylindrical to cartesian coordinates?

To convert from cylindrical to cartesian coordinates, you can use the following formulas:x = r * cos(θ)y = r * sin(θ)z = hwhere r is the distance from the origin, θ is the angle from a fixed reference direction, and h is the height above a reference plane.

What is the relationship between cylindrical and cartesian coordinates?

Cylindrical and cartesian coordinates are two different ways of representing points in three-dimensional space. They are related by the conversion formulas mentioned above, and both systems can be used to describe the same points in space.