Linear transformation questions.

In summary, the conversation includes a discussion about two attachments, one involving proving a linear transformation and the other involving finding the inverse of a matrix. The question is asked about the meaning of T^2 and how to find fA^-1. The solution is to show that T applied twice to a vector is the same as applying it once, and to find the inverse of the matrix A and write out its action on a vector.
dylanhouse

Homework Statement

See attached images below.

Homework Equations

For attachment "Linear 1," I've proven that it is indeed a linear transformation. My question is what does it mean when it says to show T^2=T? What exactly is the T that I am multiplying by itself?

Attachment "Linear 2," I have found A to be [1 2|
|2 5]
How am I supposed to find the fA^-1 it asks for? Do I just take the inverse of the A I found?

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• Linear 1.jpg
    Linear 1.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 391
  • Linear 2.jpg
    Linear 2.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 375
Physics news on Phys.org
dylanhouse said:

Homework Statement

See attached images below.

Homework Equations

For attachment "Linear 1," I've proven that it is indeed a linear transformation. My question is what does it mean when it says to show T^2=T? What exactly is the T that I am multiplying by itself?

Attachment "Linear 2," I have found A to be [1 2|
|2 5]
How am I supposed to find the fA^-1 it asks for? Do I just take the inverse of the A I found?

The Attempt at a Solution

Show if you apply T twice to a vector then you get the same result as applying it once. That's what T^2 means here. And sure, find the inverse of the matrix A and write out its action on a vector like they did with ##f_A##.

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps a vector from one vector space to another. It preserves the basic operations of addition and scalar multiplication, and also maintains the straightness of lines and planes.

2. What is the difference between a linear transformation and a non-linear transformation?

A linear transformation follows the properties of linearity, such as preserving addition and scalar multiplication, while a non-linear transformation does not. Non-linear transformations can also change the shape of geometric objects, while linear transformations maintain their shape.

3. How do you represent a linear transformation?

A linear transformation can be represented by a matrix, where the columns of the matrix represent the images of the basis vectors of the original vector space. It can also be represented using a system of linear equations.

4. What is the importance of linear transformations in real-world applications?

Linear transformations are widely used in many fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics. They allow for the simplification and efficient representation of complex systems and data, making them essential in modeling and solving real-world problems.

5. How do you determine if a transformation is linear?

A transformation is considered linear if it follows the properties of linearity, such as preserving addition and scalar multiplication. This can be tested by applying the transformation to a linear combination of vectors and checking if it satisfies the definition of linearity. Another method is to represent the transformation using a matrix and checking if it follows the rules of matrix multiplication.