Determine which mass is going to reach the bottom first

• Thread starter fireblasting
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, the problem involves a multiple choice question related to motion on an incline with pictures provided in the link. The equations relevant to this problem are Ug=mgh and KE=(1/2)mv^2. The attempt at a solution suggests finding the dependency between distance and acceleration, but it is not necessary to solve the problem. The time does not depend on the mass and the correct answer to the question would answer the initial question. The solution to the problem does not require complicated integrals and can be solved by comparing the speeds after traveling a given distance.
fireblasting

Homework Statement

The problem includes some pictures, so I will post the link here: http://faculty.polytechnic.org/cfle...pdfs _Jan_2010/zq-Mult Choice Test 3 csb.pdf

It is question number 20

Homework Equations

Ug=mgh
KE=(1/2)mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the inclines are frictionless, the time depends on the mass, velocity, and distance travel. However, the mass is not given, so I don't know how to approach the problem. Can somebody please help me out with this?

Physics news on Phys.org
time would depend on the initial net acceleration. It would help if you draw free body diagram and check the net force acting on body. Would the net force depend on slope of incline?.---------->The correct answer to this question would answer your question.

Caution: They all will have same velocity at the bottom!

The equations marked as relevant are indeed very relevant here. Total energy is conserved, hence ## v = \sqrt {2gh} ##. Now, ## v = ds/dt##, hence $$ dt = \frac {ds} {\sqrt {2gh} } $$ As soon as you figure out the dependency ## ds = f(h) dh ##, you will be able to set up and compute the integral $$ T = \int\limits_R^0 \frac {f(h) dh} {\sqrt {2gh}} $$

The time does not depend on the mass. Forces will be proportional to mass, but as F=ma, the mass cancels out again when you calculate an acceleration.

[Edit: Merged replies and deleted the second thread, I did not see this thread]

@voko: I doubt that he is supposed to perform that integral for the curved shape in a multiple choice test.

Last edited:
mfb said:
@voko: I doubt that he is supposed to perform that integral for the curved shape in a multiple choice test.

Hmm. I may be overthinking the problem, but I don't see an easier way to compare #3 with the other two.

The length of the tracks in 2 and 3 is the same, this makes a comparison easy. And 2 and 1 can be compared with each other as well.

mfb said:
The length of the tracks in 2 and 3 is the same, this makes a comparison easy.

I am still not seeing that.

voko said:
The equations marked as relevant are indeed very relevant here. Total energy is conserved, hence ## v = \sqrt {2gh} ##. Now, ## v = ds/dt##, hence $$ dt = \frac {ds} {\sqrt {2gh} } $$ As soon as you figure out the dependency ## ds = f(h) dh ##, you will be able to set up and compute the integral $$ T = \int\limits_R^0 \frac {f(h) dh} {\sqrt {2gh}} $$

The final equation has an error, it should be $$ T = \int\limits_0^R \frac {f(h) dh} {\sqrt {2gh}} $$ Now, taking ## x = \sqrt {R^2 - h^2} ##, we get ## ds = R (R^2 - h^2)^{-1/2} dh ##. Further taking ## h = R u ##, we end up with $$ T = \sqrt {\frac {R} {2g}} \int\limits_0^1 (u(1 - u^2))^{-\frac 1 2} du $$ That is an elliptic integral, so it is very dubious indeed that this is supposed to be the way to solve the problem.

I don't think that they ask to calculate the time.
Just look at the pictures. The one "closest to a free fall" will be first.

voko said:
we end up with $$ T = \sqrt {\frac {R} {2g}} \int\limits_0^1 (u(1 - u^2))^{-\frac 1 2} du $$ That is an elliptic integral, so it is very dubious indeed that this is supposed to be the way to solve the problem.
I took a different approach and ended up with $$T=\sqrt {\frac {R} {2g}} \int_0^{\pi/2} \frac{d\theta}{\sqrt{\sin\theta}}$$ This also is an elliptic integral. Your result is the same as mine, just expressed differently.

This is less time than is needed to slide down a straight ramp with the same path length. I too find it dubious that either your approach or mine is the one expected to be used to solve the problem.

If we just want to answer the question as to which one hits the ground the fastest, I suggest you create a problem where you have a two cases. See my diagram. Figure 2 shows a ramp 20 units long with a height of 15. Figure 1 shows a broken ramp with total length 20 and a height of 15. Now it is easy to calculate which one will hit the ground first.

Attachments

• x162.jpg
    x162.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 481
nasu said:
What does that mean, though?

Let's add two more objects to slide down. Masses m4 and m5 traverse the same horizontal distance as that traversed by mass m3. Mass m4 slides down a 45 degree ramp, and for mass m5, the curve followed is a segment of an inverted cycloid. Mass m5 will take the least amount of time and mass m4 the most. How does "closest to free fall" distinguish between these three curves?

nasu said:
You can do a bit better than just looking at the pictures. Compare the speeds after traveling some given distance s. in the curved path, it will have descended further for any s less than the whole distance.

Likes 1 person
D H said:
What does that mean, though?

Let's add two more objects to slide down. Masses m4 and m5 traverse the same horizontal distance as that traversed by mass m3. Mass m4 slides down a 45 degree ramp, and for mass m5, the curve followed is a segment of an inverted cycloid. Mass m5 will take the least amount of time and mass m4 the most. How does "closest to free fall" distinguish between these three curves?

I did not say you can "guess" for any arbitrary trajectories.
I am sure you can find any number of paths where you need to calculate to find the actual time.
But here they picked nice examples so you can try a guess without calculations.
The circular path starts with the highest acceleration (g at the top). And even though at some point the acceleration becomes lower than on any of the two inclines, the average speed will be higher and the distance shorter. Of course, this is not a mathematical proof, just some semi-intuitive estimate. But do you really think they expected to solve numerically these integrals?

nasu said:
But do you really think they expected to solve numerically these integrals?
Heavens no! These questions might well be for a non-calculus based physics class.

haruspex' method works quite nicely and is at an appropriate right level.

haruspex said:
You can do a bit better than just looking at the pictures. Compare the speeds after traveling some given distance s. in the curved path, it will have descended further for any s less than the whole distance.

I did not mean look without thinking. :smile:
Bit I did not explain as well as you did, you are right.

1. How does mass affect the speed of an object reaching the bottom?

The mass of an object does not directly affect its speed when falling. All objects, regardless of their mass, will fall at the same rate in a vacuum. This is known as the acceleration due to gravity, which is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared.

2. Can an object with a larger mass reach the bottom faster than an object with a smaller mass?

No, both objects will reach the bottom at the same time if they are dropped at the same time from the same height. This is because they both experience the same acceleration due to gravity.

3. What factors besides mass can affect the speed of an object reaching the bottom?

The only factor that affects the speed of an object reaching the bottom is the acceleration due to gravity. This can be affected by the height from which the object is dropped, and the presence of air resistance.

4. Does the shape or size of an object affect its speed when reaching the bottom?

No, the shape or size of an object does not affect its speed when reaching the bottom. As long as the objects have the same mass, they will fall at the same rate.

5. How can we determine which mass will reach the bottom first?

In order to determine which mass will reach the bottom first, you must consider the height from which the objects are dropped and the presence of air resistance. In a vacuum, both objects will reach the bottom at the same time. However, in the presence of air resistance, the object with less surface area will likely reach the bottom first due to experiencing less air resistance.