Solving Inequality: -∞ < a < -3 ∨ -1 < a < ∞

• Thread starter andreask
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the inequality |1/(2+a)| < 1 has two cases: 2+a >=0 and 2+a < 0, with the latter case requiring a change in the inequality direction. The boundaries for a are -∞ < a < -3 ∨ -1 < a < ∞. The alternate approach involves solving two separate inequalities and finding the intersection of their solutions.
andreask
Hi

I'm trying to solve this inequality

|1/(2+a)| < 1.

1/(2+a) < 1 ∨ 1/(2+a) > -1

1 < 2+a
a > -1

and

1 > -2-a
3 > -a
a > -3

I know that the boundaries are
-∞ < a < -3 ∨ -1 < a < ∞

What have I done wrong?

thanks in advance

Mathematics news on Phys.org
|1/(2+a)|-1<0, result of adding -1 to both sides.Examine two conditions separately. The case, 2+a>=0, and the case, 2+a<0. Follow each solution process separately.

I can't think in advance if they will be conjoint or disjoint, but you'll find out once both conditions are solved.

Be aware, the expression 2+a must not be allowed equal to zero, meaning a<>-2;
so -2 is a critical value.

andreask said:
Hi

I'm trying to solve this inequality

|1/(2+a)| < 1.

1/(2+a) < 1 ∨ 1/(2+a) > -1
The connector above should be ∧ ("and") rather than "or".

If |x| < b, then an equivalent inequality is -b < x < b. This is what you should have done here.
andreask said:
1 < 2+a
When you multiply both sides by 2 + a, are you multiplying by a positive number or a negative number? It makes a difference as regards the inequality symbol.
andreask said:
a > -1

and

1 > -2-a
3 > -a
a > -3

I know that the boundaries are
-∞ < a < -3 ∨ -1 < a < ∞

What have I done wrong?

thanks in advance

The case with the negative sign should read 1/(2+a) < -1. Take absolute value on both sides is equivalent to changing sign on both sides, which requires reversing the inequality direction.

For an alternate approach
[tex]
\begin{align*}
-1 & < \frac 1 {2+a} < 1 \\
-(2+a)^2 & < (2+a) < (2+a)^2 \\
-a^2 - 4a - 4 & < 2+a < a^2 + 4a + 4 \\
-a^2 - 5a - 6 & < 0 < a^2 + 3a + 2 \\
-\left(a^2 + 5a + 6\right) < 0 < a^2 + 3a + 2 \\
-(a+3)(a+2) < 0 < (a+1) (a+2)
\end{align*}
[/tex]
Solve the right inequality, solve the left inequality. The solution is the intersection of the two parts.

1. What does the notation -∞ < a < -3 ∨ -1 < a < ∞ mean?

The notation -∞ < a < -3 ∨ -1 < a < ∞ represents a set of values for the variable "a" that satisfy two different conditions. The first condition is that "a" must be greater than negative infinity (-∞) and less than -3. The second condition is that "a" must be greater than -1 and less than positive infinity (∞). This notation is often used when solving inequalities.

2. How do you graph the solution to -∞ < a < -3 ∨ -1 < a < ∞?

To graph this solution, you would first draw a number line. Then, plot a closed circle at -3 and an open circle at -1. These represent the limits of the first and second conditions, respectively. Finally, shade the area between the two points to represent the set of values that satisfy the given inequality.

3. Can the values of "a" in this inequality be equal to -3 or -1?

No, the values of "a" cannot be equal to -3 or -1 because the inequality is strict (represented by < rather than ≤). This means that the endpoints -3 and -1 are not included in the solution set.

4. How does the use of "∨" in the notation affect the solution?

The symbol "∨" means "or" in logic. In this case, it indicates that the solution set includes values that satisfy either the first condition (-∞ < a < -3) or the second condition (-1 < a < ∞). This allows for a larger set of values to be included in the solution.

5. Are there any other ways to represent the solution to -∞ < a < -3 ∨ -1 < a < ∞?

Yes, another way to represent this solution is using interval notation. The solution would be written as (-∞, -3) ∪ (-1, ∞), where the parentheses indicate that the endpoints are not included in the solution. This notation is often used to express sets of values that satisfy inequalities.