1-D harmonic oscillator problem

In summary, the homework statement describes how a particle of mass moves in a one-dimensional potential. The potential can be extended but not compressed. The valid eigenfunctions and corresponding eigenvalues for the ground and first excited state are found.
8614smith

Homework Statement

Consider a particle of mass m moving in a one-dimensional potential,

[tex]V(x)=\infty[/tex] for [tex]x\leq0[/tex]

[tex]V(x)=\frac{1}{2}m{\omega^2}{x^2}[/tex] for [tex]x>0[/tex]

This potential describes an elastic spring (with spring constant K = m[tex]\omega^2[/tex]) that can be extended but not compressed.

By reference to the solution of the 1-D harmonic oscillator potential sketch and state the form of the valid eigenfunctions, and state the corresponding eigenvalues, for the ground and first excited state.

Homework Equations

[tex]E=(n+\frac{1}{2})\hbar\omega[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23025&stc=1&d=1263339354
Here is the potential sketch

Since the potential V(x)=[tex]\infty[/tex] for [tex]x\leq0[/tex], The potential at x=0 is infinity. So the wave function at x=0 must equal 0. If it were anything else the particle would have infinite energy. Therefore eigenfunctions must pass through the origin.

http://131.104.156.23/Lectures/CHEM_207/CHEM_207_Pictures/p75a_72gif

From the graph, n=1 and n=3 are the lowest eigenfunctions to pass through the origin.

Ground state eigenfunction n=1 [tex]{E_1}=(1+\frac{1}{2})\hbar\omega=\frac{3}{2}\hbar\omega[/tex]

1st excited state eigenfunction n=3 [tex]{E_2}=(3+\frac{1}{2})\hbar\omega=\frac{7}{2}\hbar\omega[/tex]

Can someone tell me if this is right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
8614smith said:
1st excited state eigenfunction n=3
[tex]
{E_2}=(3+\frac{1}{2})\hbar\omega=\frac{7}{2}\hbar\omega
[/tex]

I believe you mean [itex]E_3=\cdots[/itex] and not what you wrote. But otherwise, this is correct. This problem is a good example of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parity_(physics)#Quantum_mechanics".

jdwood983 said:
I believe you mean [itex]E_3=\cdots[/itex] and not what you wrote. But otherwise, this is correct. This problem is a good example of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parity_(physics)#Quantum_mechanics".

No, i meant [tex]E_2[/tex] as i thought it is the 2nd energy level i.e. the 1st excited state, can you tell me why this its not [tex]E_2[/tex]

8614smith said:
No, i meant [tex]E_2[/tex] as i thought it is the 2nd energy level i.e. the 1st excited state, can you tell me why this its not [tex]E_2[/tex]

The reasoning is purely semantics. Since the formula is [itex]E_n=\left(n+\frac{1}{2}\right)\hbar\omega[/itex], if you have [itex]n=3[/itex] in the parenthesis, you should have [itex]n=3[/itex] as the subscript on [itex]E[/itex]. What you should say is (I made a mistake too)

[tex]
E^\prime_1=E_3=\left(3+\frac{1}{2}\right)\hbar\omega=\frac{7}{2}\hbar\omega
[/tex]

and you should also write

[tex]
E^\prime_0=E_1=\left(1+\frac{1}{2}\right)\hbar\omega=\frac{3}{2}\hbar\omega
[/tex]

because the first equation is the new first excited state and the second equation is the new ground state. If you calculate more levels, you should find that

[tex]
E^\prime_n=\left(2n+\frac{3}{2}\right)\hbar\omega
[/tex]

What is a 1-D harmonic oscillator problem?

A 1-D harmonic oscillator problem is a theoretical physics problem that involves studying the motion of a particle in a one-dimensional system where the restoring force is proportional to the displacement from equilibrium. This type of problem is often used to model the behavior of simple systems, such as a spring-mass system or a pendulum.

How do you solve a 1-D harmonic oscillator problem?

The 1-D harmonic oscillator problem can be solved using mathematical techniques such as differential equations and trigonometric functions. The solution involves finding the general equation of motion for the system, which describes the position, velocity, and acceleration of the particle at any given time.

What are the key concepts involved in a 1-D harmonic oscillator problem?

The key concepts involved in a 1-D harmonic oscillator problem include the spring constant (k), mass of the particle (m), and the angular frequency (ω) of the oscillation. These parameters determine the behavior of the system and can be used to calculate properties such as the period and amplitude of the oscillation.

What are the applications of 1-D harmonic oscillator problems in science?

1-D harmonic oscillator problems have applications in various fields of science, including physics, chemistry, and engineering. They are used to model the behavior of simple systems and can help us understand complex phenomena such as wave motion and molecular vibrations. They are also used in the development of technologies such as sensors, oscillators, and resonators.

What are some real-world examples of 1-D harmonic oscillator problems?

Some real-world examples of 1-D harmonic oscillator problems include a mass attached to a spring, a simple pendulum, a vibrating guitar string, and a swinging child on a swing. These systems can be modeled as 1-D harmonic oscillators and have applications in everyday life, such as in musical instruments, clocks, and amusement park rides.