What are the Kinematics of a Car Plunging off the Grand Canyon Edge?

In summary, the conversation discusses the scenario of Thelma and Louise's car falling off the Grand Canyon and the questions of how long it will take to impact the canyon bottom and the vertical impact velocity. The equations used are d = vit + 1/2at^2 and d = (vi+vf)t/2. The attempt at a solution involves solving for t and vf, with the assumption that there is no initial vertical velocity. However, the output may be different from the given answer.
Below

Homework Statement

Thelma and Louise's car falls off the edge of the Grand Canyon and plunges to certain catastrophe below. The depth of the canyon at this point is 500 m. (Assume it drops off)

A) How long will it take the vehicle to impact the canyone bottom?

B) What will the vertical impact velocity be? Do you think they will survive, even with air bags?

Homework Equations

d = vit + 1/2at^2

d = (vi+vf)t

The Attempt at a Solution

d - 500m
ag = -9.81 m/s^2
vi = 0m/s
t =?

Since you can't solve for t, i solved for Vf.

Would the Vf be a negative number?

Then, i pluged the vi and vf into the 2nd equatioon above, but the answer i got was different from the answer given.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why can't you solve for t?

o wait, maybe i made a mistake.

I forgot that my Vi = 0 m/s therefore does not equate to a quadratic.

Well, use the first equation you wrote to solve for t. You know all the information you need to solve for part a.

The D = -500 m a = -g t=? and vi= 0 The reason why I say there is no initial velocity is because once the car goes over the edge and starts to fall, it's in free fall. The car may have HORIZONTAL velocity, but there is no initial vertical velocity.

Use that information and you can solve for v final.

Even if it's quadratic, why wouldn't you be able to solve for t?

1. What is 1-D Kinematics?

1-D Kinematics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects in a straight line without considering the causes of the motion or the forces acting on the object.

2. How is position defined in 1-D Kinematics?

In 1-D Kinematics, position is defined as the location of an object in a straight line in relation to a reference point, usually measured in meters.

3. What is the difference between displacement and distance in 1-D Kinematics?

Displacement is the change in position of an object in a straight line, while distance is the total length traveled by the object, including any changes in direction.

4. How is velocity calculated in 1-D Kinematics?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the displacement of an object by the time it takes to travel that distance. It is measured in meters per second (m/s).

5. Can an object have a constant speed but changing velocity in 1-D Kinematics?

Yes, an object can have a constant speed but changing velocity in 1-D Kinematics. This is because velocity takes into account the direction of motion, so even if the speed is constant, a change in direction would result in a change in velocity.