1 methyl ethyne reacted with i(HBr,) ii(Mg(0), THF, acetone)

• Thread starter andorrak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acetone
In summary, the chemical equation for the reaction of 1 methyl ethyne with i(HBr) and ii(Mg(0), THF, acetone) is 1-methyl ethyne + HBr → 1-bromo-1-methyl ethane. The purpose of using THF and acetone in the reaction is to act as solvents and stabilize intermediates. Mg(0) serves as a reducing agent to convert HBr into a more reactive form. The product of this reaction is 1-bromo-1-methyl ethane, which is commonly used in organic synthesis. Potential hazards include the use of flammable and corrosive substances, such as 1 methyl ethyne and HBr, and caution should
andorrak

Homework Statement

I get that the Br will attach to the triple bond creating a double bond and a Br at the end. I get the gringard reagent but what will the acetone do?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
no one wants to respond :(

I believe I got it it is 2 pentane-4-ol. If anyone would like to confirm that it would be great.

1. What is the chemical equation for the reaction of 1 methyl ethyne with i(HBr) and ii(Mg(0), THF, acetone)?

The chemical equation for this reaction is: 1-methyl ethyne + HBr → 1-bromo-1-methyl ethane

2. What is the purpose of using THF and acetone in the reaction?

THF (tetrahydrofuran) and acetone act as solvents in the reaction, providing a suitable environment for the reactants to come into contact and react. They also help to stabilize any intermediates formed during the reaction.

3. What is the role of Mg(0) in the reaction?

Mg(0) is used as a reducing agent in this reaction. It helps to convert the HBr into a more reactive form, which can then react with 1 methyl ethyne to form 1-bromo-1-methyl ethane.

4. What is the product of this reaction?

The product of this reaction is 1-bromo-1-methyl ethane. This is an alkyl bromide compound that is commonly used in organic synthesis reactions.

5. What are the potential hazards of this reaction?

This reaction involves the use of flammable and corrosive substances, such as 1 methyl ethyne and HBr. Care must be taken to handle these chemicals safely and avoid any potential hazards, such as fire or skin irritation. The use of proper protective equipment and following safety protocols is important when conducting this reaction.