Solving 10 -2x = 90 - x: Find x Value

• Thread starter Gringo123
  • Start date
In summary, the first step in solving this equation is to combine like terms on both sides. Next, to isolate the variable x, we need to get rid of any constants on the same side as x. After that, we divide both sides by the coefficient of x to get the value of x. Finally, to check if the solution is correct, we can substitute the value of x back into the original equation. This equation can also be solved using other methods, but combining like terms and isolating the variable is the most efficient method.
Gringo123
I can't work this one out. I need to find the vlaue of x

10 -2x = 90 - x

I come up with 3x = 80 which I know is wrong. This is how I get there:

10 -2x = 90 - x
10 -3x = 90
3x = 80

The actual answer is x= -80. Where am I going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
10-2x=90-x
10-x=90
-x=80
x=-80

I would first recommend checking your algebraic steps to make sure you are not making any errors. Make sure to distribute the negative sign when subtracting x from both sides and to combine like terms. Additionally, you may want to double check your initial equation to ensure that you are not missing any terms or have any typos. Once you have verified your algebraic steps, you can use a calculator or solve for x using inverse operations to find the correct value of x. It is also helpful to check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation to ensure it satisfies the equation.

Related to Solving 10 -2x = 90 - x: Find x Value

1. What is the first step in solving 10 - 2x = 90 - x?

The first step is to combine like terms on both sides of the equation. In this case, we can simplify 10 - 2x to 8x and 90 - x to 89 - x. The equation then becomes 8x = 89 - x.

2. How do I isolate the variable x in this equation?

To isolate the variable x, we need to get rid of any constants on the same side as x. In this case, we can add x to both sides of the equation to get 8x + x = 89. This simplifies to 9x = 89.

3. What is the next step after isolating the variable x?

After isolating the variable x, we need to divide both sides of the equation by the coefficient of x. In this case, the coefficient is 9, so we divide both sides by 9 to get x = 89/9. This can be simplified to x = 9.89 or 9 8/9.

4. How do I check if my solution is correct?

To check if the solution is correct, we can substitute the value of x back into the original equation. In this case, x = 9.89. So the equation becomes 10 - 2(9.89) = 90 - 9.89. This simplifies to 10 - 19.78 = 80.11. The left side is equal to -9.78 and the right side is equal to 80.11, so the solution is correct.

5. Can this equation be solved using any other method?

Yes, this equation can also be solved using the elimination method or the substitution method. However, the method used in this example, which is combining like terms and isolating the variable, is the most efficient and straightforward method for solving this type of equation.