1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

128-to-1 multiplexer

1. Sep 13, 2008 #1
    Hi, new to the forums here. I'm looking for some help with multiplexers. I've created a 128-to-1 multiplexer with 8-to-1 multiplexers and one 2-to-1. Basically I have 16 8 to 1 in the first batch, 2 8 to 1 in the second and then a 2 to 1 to combine the last two. I'm assuming that's correct.
    Here's my question. I need to tabulate the output as a function of the selection switches. Does anyone know how to do that? I've seen some truth like tables for 2 selection switches for a 4 to 1, but nothing this big. I'm assuming that I have to have 7 selection switches as 128 is 2^7. Please help! Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2008 #2
    Not 100% sure what you want to do. Are you looking for a way to convert an 8-bit 0-127 binary number (to select a channel) to manipulate your cascade of MUX's the way you want to select said input? If so, I'd suggest using one or more EPROMS.

4. Sep 14, 2008 #3
    What I'm really after is a boolean equation to represent the output of all the cascading MUX's. I've seen ones for a 4-to-1, but never one so big. Is there a way to simplify it?

5. Sep 14, 2008 #4
    Since you have not told me what the inputs of the MUX's are there is no way I can tell you the output. I would gather that the assumption in my previous post is correct. But unless I know what the input on each channel is (all 128) there is no way I can tell you the output. Exactly what is it that you are trying to do? Tell us the big picture.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?