Building a 128-to-1 Multiplexer with 8-to-1s and 2-to-1s

• Thread starter matticus1181
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Multiplexer
In summary, the individual is seeking help with a complex multiplexer setup, consisting of 128-to-1 multiplexers, 8-to-1 multiplexers, and a 2-to-1 multiplexer. They are unsure of how to tabulate the output as a function of the selection switches and are seeking assistance in simplifying the boolean equation for the output. They have been advised to use EPROMS, but more information is needed about the inputs in order to determine the output. The individual is asked to provide more context and explain the overall goal of their project.
matticus1181
Hi, new to the forums here. I'm looking for some help with multiplexers. I've created a 128-to-1 multiplexer with 8-to-1 multiplexers and one 2-to-1. Basically I have 16 8 to 1 in the first batch, 2 8 to 1 in the second and then a 2 to 1 to combine the last two. I'm assuming that's correct.
Here's my question. I need to tabulate the output as a function of the selection switches. Does anyone know how to do that? I've seen some truth like tables for 2 selection switches for a 4 to 1, but nothing this big. I'm assuming that I have to have 7 selection switches as 128 is 2^7. Please help! Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not 100% sure what you want to do. Are you looking for a way to convert an 8-bit 0-127 binary number (to select a channel) to manipulate your cascade of MUX's the way you want to select said input? If so, I'd suggest using one or more EPROMS.

What I'm really after is a boolean equation to represent the output of all the cascading MUX's. I've seen ones for a 4-to-1, but never one so big. Is there a way to simplify it?

Since you have not told me what the inputs of the MUX's are there is no way I can tell you the output. I would gather that the assumption in my previous post is correct. But unless I know what the input on each channel is (all 128) there is no way I can tell you the output. Exactly what is it that you are trying to do? Tell us the big picture.

1. How does a 128-to-1 multiplexer work?

A 128-to-1 multiplexer combines 128 different input signals into a single output signal. This is achieved by using a combination of 8-to-1 multiplexers and 2-to-1 multiplexers.

2. What is the purpose of using 8-to-1 and 2-to-1 multiplexers?

Using a combination of 8-to-1 and 2-to-1 multiplexers allows for a simpler and more efficient design compared to using a single 128-to-1 multiplexer. It also allows for easier troubleshooting and maintenance.

3. How many inputs and outputs does a 128-to-1 multiplexer have?

A 128-to-1 multiplexer has 128 inputs and 1 output. Each input is connected to a specific combination of 8-to-1 and 2-to-1 multiplexers, which determines which input signal is selected for the output.

4. Can a 128-to-1 multiplexer be built with only 8-to-1 multiplexers?

No, a 128-to-1 multiplexer cannot be built with only 8-to-1 multiplexers. This is because the 8-to-1 multiplexer can only select one of 8 inputs, and in order to select from 128 inputs, a combination of 8-to-1 and 2-to-1 multiplexers is necessary.

5. How does a 128-to-1 multiplexer differ from a decoder?

A decoder is a digital logic circuit that converts a binary code into a specific output, while a multiplexer selects one of many inputs to be outputted. A 128-to-1 multiplexer is essentially a decoder with the added functionality of being able to select from multiple inputs.