16inch rotatable pipe flange joint

• Thread starter NTzionIST
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Joint Pipe
In summary, the speaker is designing a dust cleaning system for induction furnaces and needs a mechanism for a 7m length of 16inch diameter pipe to rotate about an elbow without any leakages. They are unsure if they need constant rotation or back-and-forth motion and are considering using a sleeve over the joint for sealing. However, they are concerned about the seal wearing out due to temperature and movement. Another suggestion is to submerge the joint in water, but the speaker is unsure if this would be cost-effective. They also mention the possibility of using a braided stainless steel hose to provide flexibility and bonding to the pipe.
NTzionIST
I am making a dust cleaning system for induction furnaces in my steel mill and for that I have to design a mechanism with which about 7m length of 16inch diameter pipe can rotate about an elbow attached to one end but wihtout any leakages. ANY HELP would be appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you need the capability of constant (ie. >360°) rotation, or is back-and-forth like an oscillating fan okay? If the latter, could you sleeve over the joint for sealing as opposed to having the joint itself leak-proof?

No I just need a rotation of about 40 degrees. I did think about the sleeve over the joint but I guess the seal will have the same problem of wearing out because of the temperature as well as movement.

Would it be cheaper to submerge the joint in water?
That would solve the dust leakage at least, unless the pipe is white hot and has to stay that way.

NTzionIST said:
I guess the seal will have the same problem of wearing out because of the temperature as well as movement.

I was actually thinking of having the seal not move at all. Something along the line of braided stainless steel hose might be able to flex and twist enough that the ends could be bonded to the pipe.

1. What is a 16inch rotatable pipe flange joint?

A 16inch rotatable pipe flange joint is a type of joint used to connect two pipes of 16 inches in diameter. It consists of two flanges and a gasket, which are bolted together to create a strong and leak-proof connection.

2. How does a 16inch rotatable pipe flange joint work?

The two flanges of a 16inch rotatable pipe flange joint are connected by bolts, creating a tight seal between the two pipes. The gasket helps to ensure that the joint is leak-proof. The joint is also designed to be rotatable, allowing for easier installation and alignment of the pipes.

3. What materials are used to make a 16inch rotatable pipe flange joint?

16inch rotatable pipe flange joints are typically made of materials such as stainless steel, carbon steel, or alloy steel. These materials are chosen for their strength, durability, and resistance to corrosion.

4. Where are 16inch rotatable pipe flange joints commonly used?

16inch rotatable pipe flange joints are commonly used in industrial and commercial applications, especially in piping systems that transport liquids or gases under high pressure. They are also used in plumbing, oil and gas, and chemical industries.

5. How do you install a 16inch rotatable pipe flange joint?

To install a 16inch rotatable pipe flange joint, first, the pipes must be cut to a specific length and have their ends beveled. The flanges are then placed on each end of the pipe, and the bolts are inserted and tightened to create a secure connection. The joint can then be rotated to align the pipes before final tightening of the bolts.