Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

16inch rotatable pipe flange joint

1. Jul 27, 2012 #1
    I am making a dust cleaning system for induction furnaces in my steel mill and for that I have to design a mechanism with which about 7m length of 16inch diameter pipe can rotate about an elbow attached to one end but wihtout any leakages. ANY HELP would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2012 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Do you need the capability of constant (ie. >360°) rotation, or is back-and-forth like an oscillating fan okay? If the latter, could you sleeve over the joint for sealing as opposed to having the joint itself leak-proof?

4. Jul 27, 2012 #3
    No I just need a rotation of about 40 degrees. I did think about the sleeve over the joint but I guess the seal will have the same problem of wearing out because of the temperature as well as movement.

5. Jul 27, 2012 #4

etudiant

Gold Member

Would it be cheaper to submerge the joint in water?
    That would solve the dust leakage at least, unless the pipe is white hot and has to stay that way.

6. Jul 28, 2012 #5

Danger

Gold Member

I was actually thinking of having the seal not move at all. Something along the line of braided stainless steel hose might be able to flex and twist enough that the ends could be bonded to the pipe.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook