How Does Acceleration Impact a Sprinter's 100 Meter Dash Performance?

In summary, a sprinter running a 100 meter race starts at rest, accelerates at a constant acceleration of A for 2 seconds, and then runs at a constant speed until the end. For part a), the position relative to the start position is 2A and the speed is 2A. For part b), using the equations x(t)= Xi + Vit + 0.5at^2 and Vf^2= Vi^2+2a(Xf - Xi), the acceleration A can be found by looking at the slope of the velocity/time graph over the first two seconds, with a value of 100/18.
jmanz
A sprinter running a 100 meter race starts at rest, accelerates at constant acceleration
with magnitude A for 2 seconds, and then runs at constant speed until the end.

a) Find the position (relative to the start position) and speed of the runner at the end of
the 2 seconds in terms of A. ANS: 2A , Vx=2A

b) Assume that the runner takes a total of 10 seconds to run the 100 meters. Find the
value of the acceleration A. You can leave your answer in terms of a fraction but clearly
indicate the units. ANS: 100/18

...struggling with b) !

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to show us some work before we can help.

Relevant equations
all kinematic eq'n with x, v, a in it

What I know so far:

I got that x(2)=2A and v(2)=2A

when it comes to b) i have tried various inputs...
Which way do I approach this? Do approach it from x=100 and t=10, do I incorporate x=2A and v=2A.

The closest I've gotten is using x=100-2A, t=8, v=2A...

Consider the 100m broken down into two parts
- the part with constant acceleration from part a). You were asked to get the displacement of this in terms of A in part a). This will help you with that.
- and consider the second part where velocity is constant. what formulae can you use?

according to your post, it can be broken down into two times

t=2 and t=8
at t=2 , what I know is x=2A, v=2A, a=A

at t=10, what I know is x=100, v=10 (because v=d/t=100/10, is this relavant?)

there are two eq'ns that come to mind

x(t)= Xi + Vit + 0.5at^2

Vf^2= Vi^2+2a(Xf - Xi)

For the second part of the race, the eight seconds at constant velocity, just think displacement = velocity X time.
Your v=d/t = 100/10 isn't correct because velocity wasn't constant for the entire 100m.
For the first two seconds, acceleration was constant, and velocity was increasing (at a constant rate= acceleration). For the remaining eight seconds then, velocity is constant, so you can use v = d/t here.
Your two eqns are correct and should then help you find a value for A.

You're eventually looking for the slope of the velocity/time graph (slope here = acc.) over the first two seconds. What do you need to find this?
/

still struggling

1. What is 1D kinematics?

1D kinematics is the study of motion in one dimension, typically along a straight line. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object without considering any external forces.

2. What are the common variables used in 1D kinematics problems?

The most common variables used in 1D kinematics are position (x), displacement (Δx), velocity (v), acceleration (a), and time (t). These variables are related by the equations x = x0 + vt + 1/2at^2 and v = v0 + at, where x0 and v0 are the initial position and velocity, respectively.

3. How is displacement different from distance in 1D kinematics?

Displacement refers to the change in position of an object, while distance refers to the total path length traveled by the object. Displacement is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, while distance is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has magnitude.

4. What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the total displacement divided by the total time, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity at a specific moment in time. Average velocity gives an overall picture of an object's motion, while instantaneous velocity can vary at different points in time.

5. How can we use graphs to analyze 1D kinematics problems?

Graphs, such as position-time, velocity-time, and acceleration-time graphs, can provide a visual representation of an object's motion in 1D kinematics. By analyzing the slope and shape of these graphs, we can determine the object's velocity, acceleration, and position at different points in time.